Sponsored by: DP Tuner

help with erratic surging diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 PM
cl8050
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with erratic surging diesel

New to this forum and reaching out to solve my problem on my 2001 7.3 Excursion. Last year this engine developed a very slight intermittent "bump" or "cutout" feel to it that was noticeable while driving at a constant speed. If it were a gas engine, I would say it felt like a slight intermittent miss. The tach did not show any fluctuation. It was just an annoying jerk feel to it. I have plenty of exeprience working on IDI 7.3's but none on the PSD. I took it to a highly recommended diesel shop who said I had a weak injector and suggested I replace them all. I went with new Aliants. After Thousands, I still had the same problem. I took it back to be told it ran strong. It was always strong! I took it to another highly recommended diesel shop who said one of the new injectors was wrong and bad. Found out it wasn't bad. Finally I took it to the fleet department at our local Ford dealer. They kept it weeks and said they could feel it but could not determine the problem. They gave me the vehicle back with no charges. He said he suspected the ICP but couldn't confirm it and suggested I wait until it starts running worse.
Before I took it in the first time, I bought an IPR but never installed it. It is now considerably worse. At idle I can now see the tach fluctuate slightly. When driving with no or a light load the hesitation or surge feeling is more pronounced.
I don't have a scanner but plenty of tools and abilities. I am considering replacing the ICP and IPR just to see if this corrects my problem. I have thrown way too much money in to professionals that have done nothing for the problem. I am ready to do what it takes to solve this myself, which I should have done in the first place. I'm looking for advice to see if I am headed in the right direction or should be looking at other issues.
Thanks and sorry this is so lengthy.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:04 AM
smithrock
Senior User
Hi, welcome to Walmart! I mean welcome to FTE someone will be along shortly to help you with this problem!. Please listen to the music while you wait

Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi and welcome. But did any of those shops hook it up to a scanner? Most cheap scanners won't read the codes on our trucks, you need to find someone in the area you live who has Auto Enginuity. Meanwhile, look at the threads near the top of the page, you will find lots of useful info.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Welcome to FTE, I'll bet you won't regret signing on. I guess the "scanner" at the Ford dealership wasn't portable enough to have it active while driving on the road. I'm sorry you've endured so much. I blew $5000 on mine before I started consulting the brotherhood on FTE, so I'm familiar with your pain.

I am no professional diesel mechanic, but I'm mechanically inclined and I understand electromechanical devices. I bought AutoEnginutiy because I can record data while driving, read data, and make useful graphs. You are a perfect candidate for getting AE (link in my signature), I hope you have a laptop or netbook. I bought mine from Clay at www.riffraffdiesel.com. Clay really knows these these trucks and is a great resource for OEM parts, mods, and upgrades.

The last link in my signature should prove very useful for many issues in these aging vehicles.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM
cl8050
New User
Thanks, I will check out AutoEnginuity. Oh, the truck has never thrown any codes. I was told that they drove around with it connected but just couldn't see anything. It's something that is going to take time to isolate properly, something that I guess commissioned shops just don't have time for.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cl8050
New to this forum and reaching out to solve my problem on my 2001 7.3 Excursion. Last year this engine developed a very slight intermittent "bump" or "cutout" feel to it that was noticeable while driving at a constant speed. If it were a gas engine, I would say it felt like a slight intermittent miss. The tach did not show any fluctuation. It was just an annoying jerk feel to it. I have plenty of exeprience working on IDI 7.3's but none on the PSD. I took it to a highly recommended diesel shop who said I had a weak injector and suggested I replace them all. I went with new Aliants. After Thousands, I still had the same problem. I took it back to be told it ran strong. It was always strong! I took it to another highly recommended diesel shop who said one of the new injectors was wrong and bad. Found out it wasn't bad. Finally I took it to the fleet department at our local Ford dealer. They kept it weeks and said they could feel it but could not determine the problem. They gave me the vehicle back with no charges. He said he suspected the ICP but couldn't confirm it and suggested I wait until it starts running worse.
Before I took it in the first time, I bought an IPR but never installed it. It is now considerably worse. At idle I can now see the tach fluctuate slightly. When driving with no or a light load the hesitation or surge feeling is more pronounced.
I don't have a scanner but plenty of tools and abilities. I am considering replacing the ICP and IPR just to see if this corrects my problem. I have thrown way too much money in to professionals that have done nothing for the problem. I am ready to do what it takes to solve this myself, which I should have done in the first place. I'm looking for advice to see if I am headed in the right direction or should be looking at other issues.
Thanks and sorry this is so lengthy.
You can disconnect the ICP wiring, check for oil on the connection, then drive with it disconneced and see if it still runs rough. The truck will use default settings and may run smoother.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by cl8050
Thanks, I will check out AutoEnginuity. Oh, the truck has never thrown any codes. I was told that they drove around with it connected but just couldn't see anything. It's something that is going to take time to isolate properly, something that I guess commissioned shops just don't have time for.

With AE you can monitor and record live data, so even if no code is set you may catch some clues by checking the live data log to see what everything was doing when it happened. Our trucks have over 400 sensors, on my 02 I have 484.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
was this ever resolved??

Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 PM
cl8050
New User
No. I did try the Icp. I replaced mine with no change. It still runs with the same slight intermittent jerk that's most noticeable at constant speeds. So to recap, injectors, valve cover harness and Icp have all been replaced. I'm deployed right now do can't get to troubleshooting again until next month but can still read and consider suggestions. I would like and considering the auto engenuity.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
are u running a gray cps?? My truck hates the gray cps and does exactly what you are describing with one installed. Probably not it but it drove me crazy but I knew it started the day they did the recall so I had the ability to trace it back to when it started.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 PM
cl8050
New User
I'm not sure but I did have it swapped a few years ago during the recall.