Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2003 Escape catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:10 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
I'm not being rude, I'm telling you what you need to do since we have no idea whats going on. We have no way to find it out, you do, so go do it.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Coheed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing and old thread back from the dead...

I have an '02 Escape XLT V6. Had the front cats gut into the back one going down the interstate. I'm sure you know the story by now. Anyway, a crisp $600 later Midas had me back on the road with an Escape with only TWO clogged catalytic converters now - after they quoted me $1900 for the front two cats alone.

Needless to say I am planning on doing the install myself. I have some mechanical knowledge, but I was hoping to get a step by step from someone who has been through this before. Any piece of knowledge is appreciated! I am planning on buying the Evan Fischer bolt on cats, for both the radiator and firewall side, and I will be doing this in my garage.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 AM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll just throw in my $0.02
When mine went, the radiator side CAT blew out and plugged the main one. The rest of the exhaust was not looking so hot and needed replaced for the most part so I replaced the entire system from the Flex joint back. I figured I would do the fronts when the weather was better (no garage, and a driveway that's a hill).
Long story short, I have one blown CAT and two good ones.....and NO CODES. No CEL, and it runs great.
I'm not sure why having a hollow front CAT doesn't cause a code, but I'm not going to complain about it either. It passed NYS inspection and that's all I really care about. I do like the "new sound" and kinda wish the rear was hollow too......

Last edited by got2bjoester; 05-07-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Can't spell for carp.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:37 PM
thousand_mile_stare
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coheed
Bringing and old thread back from the dead...

I have an '02 Escape XLT V6. Had the front cats gut into the back one going down the interstate. I'm sure you know the story by now. Anyway, a crisp $600 later Midas had me back on the road with an Escape with only TWO clogged catalytic converters now - after they quoted me $1900 for the front two cats alone.

Needless to say I am planning on doing the install myself. I have some mechanical knowledge, but I was hoping to get a step by step from someone who has been through this before. Any piece of knowledge is appreciated! I am planning on buying the Evan Fischer bolt on cats, for both the radiator and firewall side, and I will be doing this in my garage.
It was 4 years ago when I did the work on my friends Escape so I'll try to remember what I can. We did NOT remove the radiator to do the front cat. It was easily changed from the top and the bottom. I think there may have been a front air dam we removed for access. I can't remember if the cooling fan needed removed.
We did not replace the rear engine cat as it was not damaged so I can't comment on that task. I would guess removing the UIM would ease access to the manifold bolts from the top, attacking from top and underneath would be required.
The rear cat was a piece of cake to R&R with no surprises.
To be honest, the job was easier than I had first guessed. There were no real surprises. Of importance to me was getting the spark plugs done to prevent damage to the new cats. Anyone with good basic mechanical experience should be able to do it.