02 Ranger won't start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

02 Ranger won't start

Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM
thewinger
New User
thewinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
02 Ranger won't start

Have an 02 ranger 3.0 that runs good most of the time .Once in a while it won't restart after it's warmed up . It does't die and it only cranks but always starts after cooling off.I've had it in the shop twice without any improvement .There are no codes . So far they have changed the Mass air sensor,spark plugs & wires and fuel presure regulator

Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
powersmoked
Posting Guru
powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by thewinger View Post
Have an 02 ranger 3.0 that runs good most of the time .Once in a while it won't restart after it's warmed up . It does't die and it only cranks but always starts after cooling off.I've had it in the shop twice without any improvement .There are no codes . So far they have changed the Mass air sensor,spark plugs & wires and fuel presure regulator
I thought the fuel pressure regulator was part of the sending unit in the tank?

Next time it happens you need to determine if you have fuel and or spark......you can pull a wire and put an extra plug in it..ground it and crank the engine etc, you can also buy a spark tester for $10...........you also can spray starter fluid into the throttle body and see if it starts. if it starts we are looking at a fuel issue.

if have a reader check for pending codes

Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 PM
thewinger
New User
thewinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea, the trouble is it might be a month before it acts up again. I guess i'm hoping for something pretty commen with these 3.0s. It does have spark and I can hear the fuel pump for a short time when the key is turned on.I'm thinking a sensor or something . It seems like it would log a code but doesn't . Thanks