1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Door Lock and Ignition Set

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
WARDNEAL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Lock and Ignition Set

Ok, I need some advice.

The 49 F1 has no keys. The ignition has been changed and the push button start has been removed.

I would like to go back to the original but what would be best.

I also would like to have two door locks same key.

How hard is it to put a lock on the driver side?

I have access to a correct n o s ignition cylinder but no keys.

I Also have this on ebay part number FAA -11572-A is this the right one for the 49?

Thanks for your input.
Neal

Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I can't speak directly about putting a lock on the driver side door because, quite frankly, I don't know anybody who has done it, but I'm sure it's been done. I would imagine it's a whale of a job to drill out the door and install the locking mechanism, etc. As for the absence of a lock on the driver's side, I chalk it up to just one of those things we get used to. Or you can try to find a 5-star cab door and go from there. A lot of the parts distributors carry matching ignition/door lock sets. They also have the start button if you need that too.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
WARDNEAL
Junior User
Thanks Doc

Co anyone know if there is a right hand doorlatch that is a replacement that is set up for the lock?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did it on my 54 - installed a drivers side door lock and complete matched key set from mid-fifty - but I've no idea whats available for the earlier model trucks. This is where lumping the 48 - 52 owners with the mid-fifty guys is a little frustrating but don't get me wrong - I love seeing the treads about the 48 - 52 stuff. Some info for 53 - 56. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...solenoids.html

Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
age62newbie
Senior User
I seem to recall a pretty good how-to thread within the past few months, well-documented with pics. The poster made a template on the right door, then flipped it over to locate the hole properly on the left. You might want to do a Google search.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Right side door always has the lock built into the latch no matter what year, 48-52. The locking left side door latch became an option on Extra Cab (deluxe) equipped trucks starting in 1951. I never bothered to check, but I'm not sure that the earlier and non-Extra Cab left side doors have the built in provisions to accept a locking latch and cylinder as the Extra Cab 51/52 doors.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Someone just asked this on the flathead forum, and one of the responses was that the tube is already welded to the inside of the door -- but this may well be on 51-52 and on. If you look in the door jamb where the setscrew that secures the lock cylinder is supposed to be, you'll be able to tell quickly whether or not it's there.

The second part of this is whether the latch mechanism has the blocking piece that prevents the outside handle from openeing the door. It sounds like it may not be, here is the thread:
Ford Flathead V8 .. 1932 thru 1953 • View topic - 1951 F1 Door Locks

Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 AM
WARDNEAL
Junior User
I will look but i don't think I have the extra door jamb hole.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It was Dano78 who traced the pass. door and transfered it to the drivers door.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad someone brought this subject because I have locks on my doors, but I don't know how the locking assembly attaches to the door/ latch assembly. There is this small rod that comes out of the lock, but I don't know where I goes or how to get it on. Any help? They're stock original locks. I don't have the key either

Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The square rod slides right into the latch assembly, and the lock cylinder is retained by a set screw in a tube that is accessible from the door jamb. I highly recommend removing the set screw and using anti-seize on it, and if it's at all buggered in the recessed head (it's an allen head), replace it!! These get rusted in place easily.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
The driver's side door latch with the lock is mirror image of the passenger side.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
WARDNEAL
Junior User
Well I got to look at the doors Little better.

The doors on the 49 F1 and the door on the 50 F3 have the hole in the door jam were you access the allen screw.

I have not been able to remove the latch assembly to look at what is and is not their.

That said it looks like their is no tube to hold the cylinder lock. and their is no lower part that the cylinder bar goes in.

Can any one show me a picture of the right and left door latch assembly.

To see if I can make a drivers door lockable by taking parts from the passenger side and cutting and turning and welding to make it work.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
48-52 Passenger side

51-52 Driver's side (w/lock)

Inside of the door (this one's from a passenger side, but driver's side should be the same). Door is from a 51 truck w/Extra Cab options. Not sure if the 48-50 and 51-52 standard doors have this reinforcement. Top hole is for the exterior door handle set screw. Bottom hole is for the lock cylinder set screw. Note the cylindrical tube coming from the reinforcement. That's for the lock cylinder housing. There's another tube that goes out from that towards the hole in the door. That's for the lock cylinder set screw.

Lock cylinder set screw. It's 10-32x3/4" with an allen head in the body of the screw.

Converting a non-locking driver's side door latch into a locking one with parts from the passenger side is not possible because the parts are side specific and have a mechanical actuator to lock the latch mechanism. The parts are mirror image of each other and are not interchangeable.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
WARDNEAL
Junior User
I have two ideals.

First could a tube be welded to the lock mechanism with a set screw in the tube to hold the lock cylinder in the door?

Quick Reply: Door Lock and Ignition Set