Sponsored by: Moser

Plastic Welding Door Panels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Plastic Welding Door Panels?

Has anybody tried or know of someone who tried plastic welding cracked door panels? If so, were the results satisfactory? I've been considering buying a plastic welder for some other projects and today it occurred to me that this might be a way to save some otherwise decent panels from the trash heap if they could be welded from the back and still look fresh on the front.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VocaTexas
Has anybody tried or know of someone who tried plastic welding cracked door panels? If so, were the results satisfactory? I've been considering buying a plastic welder for some other projects and today it occurred to me that this might be a way to save some otherwise decent panels from the trash heap if they could be welded from the back and still look fresh on the front.
I was a plastic welder as an occupation for over 15 years. Yes, it can be done, if you are just wanting the cracks filled. Making it aesthetic will be another story. This will require a steady hand and patience. First, you will need strips (usually 1/8" rod) of whatever material you plan to weld against i.e. pvc to pvc, abs to abs, etc. Next, you will need to determine if you want to hand feed the rod or use a speed tip. Next, practice for a while to get your temps and speed aligned, so that you don't burn the plastic. Finally, when you have laid down a good weld, take a small die grinder with a rotary file to grind any excess off. After this, order a new set of panels from a vendor Just kidding! You will have to practice first.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by VocaTexas
Eastwood sells a plastic welder and filler rods.

For repairs on the back side, I suggest investigating a two-part epoxy if it is just cracked and maybe using sheet styrene or ABS to bridge the crack for extra strength. A two-part syringe of the stuff mady by Loc-tite sells for about $5... quick acting but I like to leave it overnight so it is rock hard.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Yeah, 84, I figured on working the back of the panel where the crack is.

HIO, I've tried epoxy before (years ago), but didn't get a good bond. Maybe I needed to clean it with PSP like you would before dying or painting them.

Anyway, I was just brainstorming today while I was working and thought about this. I'll have to give it a little more thought.

Thanks, guys.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On those door panels I just did. the trim ring around the brushed aluminum was ABS and I glued it to the door using ABS cement. Lowes sells it for like $5 a can. You can mix some abs shaving into it to make more of a filler material if you want. It chemically melts the ABS together so its one solid piece after, unlike glue.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
To get a good bond, lightly scuff both surfaces with 220 and bridge the gap with some scrap. I fixed by grill inserts and have gone wheelin' a few times without the cracks reappearing.

Formulations have advanced over the years. I suggest ya try epoxy one more time - better to try with a $5 tube of epoxy than an expensive plastic welder that may or may not result in satisfactory results.

Good luck pal. ~HIO

Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyone sells door panels. Even JC Whitney for like cheap.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Everyone sells door panels. Even JC Whitney for like cheap.
I agree. You can buy panels from DC that are molded with original molds for $109 shipped. They are seconds, so the colors are bad. Toss another $10 into painting them and they look great and arent brittle like 30 yr old plastic.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Blue_Mongoose
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a dealer for the rear panels in a crewcab?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 AM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
I know I can buy new ones, but on my daily-driver/workhorse, I just don't want to drop the coin right now. I'm still spending money on getting my Crew's paint and body work finished. I've also got two perfect sets in different colors, but they're for other projects and my old gold F-150 isn't treated gently all the time so I don't want to ruin a perfect set on it. At least until I replace it as my workhorse.

Blue Mongoose, you'll have to find a set of those. Nobody reproduces rear door panels for a Crew Cab.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 AM
ford4ever_2003
Junior User
i just fiberglassed the back side of my cracked panel and it seems to be holding up great

Old 01-05-2020, 09:45 PM
art vandolay
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Fiberglass, now that sounds like it would work great.... anyone got pics of that type of door panel repair?

Old 01-06-2020, 03:08 AM
1977 FlareSide 400
Junior User
Lightbulb Baking Soda and Super Glue Trick . . .

I'm curious what type of plastic these door panels are made of?

Anyway - here's something I accidentally stumbled on a few days ago on Yootube. The "Baking Soda and Super Glue Trick". It was being done to cleverly repair a worn-out fret on a antique guitar from the 1940's or so.

Basically, you mix superglue with baking soda and the soda acts as a catalyst, turning the mixture into a hardened plastic that can be sanded and filed etc. I was thinking this could be really useful for repairs such as these door panel cracks that everyone here is talking about and could be an inexpensive fix. They say a medium viscosity superglue works best. Might not be for "concours" restorations but might let you keep using your own door panels for a long time to come and save some money. Can it be colored or touched up or a little dye added?

What the baking soda does is to act as a catalyst instantly hardening the superglue into its plastic form upon contact. This plugs holes, seals gaps, and it has high durability. So using the medium glue, apply just a tiny little dab right at the end of the holes. Add a baking soda and make the surface intact by slightly pressing on it using a cloth or any material you prefer. Wait for a few seconds to dry. Then all done!
You can Goggle search - "Superglue Baking Soda Plastic" or "Super Glue Baking Soda Plastic" and you'll see some neat ideas & methods. Maybe someone has made a video repairing plastic door panels too?

Video List:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lue+door+panel

Here's two short example videos showing the basic principle . . . what do you guys think?

The baking soda and super glue trick

How To Repair a CRACKED DASH or Cover IT UP!

Last edited by 1977 FlareSide 400; 01-06-2020 at 03:30 AM.