1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled The Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Now I cant wait until the Power Max comes, and the 175 cc injectors, and the FICM Tune. It should pull it good then
Until a piston melts.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ahh dude you just rained on my parade...wtf, and here I went out of my way to post pictures for ya.

Talking to the injector builder, Clay, and Matt they seem to think its a good combo.

I will call the injector builder back and make sure he understood what I told him and what I was looking to do with the truck. .

Looking at the Star pattern on that piston maybe it was running a hot tune while towing heavy? Im not gonna run any hot tunes just my tow tune, which is stock tuning just does some trans tuning and exhaust braking

Sarge

Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Great looking trailer. I don't know how big of a compressor you are looking for but I just bought this one, very light only 24 pounds I think and it is A 150 psi also which is nice. Very compact to, so it would take up much space at all. Plus it's on sale right now for $125 regular price is $149, don't work there just a goo deal.

1.2 Gallon Air Compressor at Menards

Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Ahh dude you just rained on my parade...wtf, and here I went out of my way to post pictures for ya.

Talking to the injector builder, Clay, and Matt they seem to think its a good combo.

I will call the injector builder back and make sure he understood what I told him and what I was looking to do with the truck. .

Looking at the Star pattern on that piston maybe it was running a hot tune while towing heavy? Im not gonna run any hot tunes just my tow tune, which is stock tuning just does some trans tuning and exhaust braking

Sarge
This was the piston of a Cummins truck that melted down during one of our meets in Ohio. He was tuned and pulling at WOT and after about a minute and a half it let go. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but these engines are designed to be pretty much bullet proof from the factory from a duty cycle perspective. Wide open throttle all day long won't hurt one with a factory tune, which is why they are rated to tow lots of weight. Expecting to run increased power levels for the same duration can melt it down.

If you're running a stock tow tune you should be fine, but if you're running any kind of increased power levels make sure you have an EGT gauge!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool looking rig !

and that's some tech in the hitch !!!

Never heard of it !!!

FYI, may have mentioned I got a 12v ryobi battery operated compressor for like $49 to do my setup and so far has been fine....

NOW - I don't expect it to air all 8 tires up to 80 in 5 seconds, but it gets the turck air bags and trail air air bags going fine !

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks Crazy,

I just talked with Matt and the injector builder again, we are going with a 155 injector with a 30% nozzle, Matt said with the tow tune the EGT's will be in check and he will keep the boost to max out at 25-28psi.

I do have a full compliment of gauages including a Dash Daq as well.

What would be a safe range for the EGT pulling that weight for any duration, I like to see it less than 1100* while towing, its never gone above 1200*

Sarge

Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice combo. Wife and I are really looking at buying a nice 5'er when I get back to the Lower 48. Not sure I'd get something so large...or if one will even fit on my truck with the lift though
What would be a safe range for the EGT pulling that weight for any duration, I like to see it less than 1100* while towing, its never gone above 1200*
are those temps pulling?
or
during normal driving?

My truck regularly sees 1200* or better driving around town using Matt's SRL and judicious application of throttle

Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I very rarely see 1000* usually only when I exercise the turbo on a freeway sprint. Its been a long time since I had a load on it that big so I dont remeber what my regular EGT's were with the tow tune.

Sarge

Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM
makeone3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 03 350 super cab and a 305Rks camper. Started out with a fifth wheel hitch which was a big mistake. Tried to hook up on uneven ground, the dang thing failed to latch and damaged my truck bed. Needless to say I now have a hideaway ball and Bulldog gooseneck adapter to which I welded a plate that bolts to my fifth wheel camper. Now no more problems to hook up on uneven ground. Good luck with your camper. We camp in some rough areas and why the hell the camper people don't tell you these things beats me.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE - I REALLY shouldn't comment....

but honestly that's not the "camper people's" fault - part of my checklist is to LOOK at the pin to make sure it is surrounded by the locking ring before I move !

and wonder if the 'southern engineering' you did will pass inspection and/or when it will fail ?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Sarge for the posts about the goose box, I've been waiting patiently to see that info as I'm interested in the product. the whole string has been very informative and I thank you for that.

Enjoy your new purchase and get out there use the heck out of it. We wish your mom in law the best.

Regarding air products, you may wish to look at Viaair, they have complete systems with excellent duty cycles. VIAIR Corporation - Onboard Air Systems I have one of their portable compressors and it works very well.
Happy motoring.

-Mark

Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks for reading,

The only complaint I have is I will have to remove the tail gate, my wife will smush me between the truck and trailer as the tail gate has to be 1/2 way down in order to not hit the trailer.

My landing gear doesnt go high enough to get above the gate, atleast I havent tried to raise it that much. The Goose Box is a real nice piece, I cant wait to get out and tow with it, I think maybe top speed on the way home was about 45 mph, but there was no chunking or clunking it felt good, and that was with no air in the bag.

Now the Power Max showed up today, and after some comments about my injector selection I decided to go with the 155's and I feel that will give me a little more power and keep the EGT's in check, tahnks Crazy and Partsman for the helpful info in both threads.

Sarge

Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sarge,
I too am going to be setting up my truck in a similar fashion. I've been monitoring yours and amdriven2liv's progress with the powermax, FICM PHP tunes from Ed and injector upgrades.

To confirm you have not installed head studs as of yet? Are you intending to or wait until it starts to exhibit reasons to do so?

-Mark

Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Mark,

I have not installed ARP's. Am I dancing with the devil...yup, but I know it. If and when the time cmes to install them I will, I dont drive the truck like its a race car, when a part fails I feel that if there is a better part out there, even if its more money, I get it.

I saved for quite a while to be able to do these 2 upgrdades at the same time. I still have about 700 bucks in the kitty so if I need to look at buying some studs to have on the shelf I can. I also bought the Stand Pipes and Dummy plugs to upgrade while the valve covers are off, and I have a STC fitting if I feel like diggin in that deep.

Im hoping that the head gaskets will be ok for this season pulling the 5er, like I said Ive been tuned for about 50k or so now, but I feel that if I monitor everything, and drive the truck like a truck I should be fine, btw Im knocking on wood. But if they go, I'll fix em, its still cheaper than buying a new truck.

I am back in the holding pattern for the injectors, because I changed them from 175's back to 155's, he said they should be built this week an shipped, so Im hoping that I can get it done next weekend and get some miles on it before the first long tow.

Sarge

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 AM
makeone3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern engineering? How about a 25k hitch, gusseted on 4 corners and attached with grade 8 bolts and self locking nuts. Better than the thing Reese sells.

Quick Reply: Pulled The Trigger