1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Clutch pedal switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch pedal switch

I'm baaaaaack! The T5 is now in and everything fit surprisingly well. I have the reverse lights and NSS all wired and working now, the only issue now is the clutch pedal switch. The truck came with an AOD but I did the manual conversion. The pedal assembly that I got has the switch on it, but I can't seem to locate a pigtail for it. Honestly I wouldn't care because the neutral safety switch already works but I want to take the truck to the track and to pass tech I need to have a working clutch switch. Picky picky.. Is there a harness I can plug into or am I looking in the wrong place for it? Sorry to be so long winded, any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wish I could help, but I'm new to the manual tranny wiring myself. However, if you don't get a response from someone that knows I'll look at the wiring diagrams to see if I can figure it out.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Hey Gary, that would be great if you got a chance to do that. I'll be taking the truck out for it's first trip with a standard tranny tonight. I won't be going to the track for another month or so anyway. Btw I checked out your links, the how-to on the aluminum rims was great! I'm going to show that to a friend of mine as he's tried everything to clean them up. Yours turned out awesome, thanks for that!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well, all I can tell you is what I read in the electrical diagrams. But, in '81 apparently the clutch switch wasn't part of the starter circuit. I say that for two reasons. First, I traced the pull-in circuit for the starter relay and it goes to the ignition switch, without going through a clutch switch. Second, the only reference to a clutch switch in the diagrams is as shown below, and that circuit is for the cruise control.

So, if yours isn't an '81 we'll need to get someone with the correct year's wiring diagrams involved. If it is an '81 I could take some more pictures, and several would be required, to help you convince the tech inspectors. Actually, I'd scan these pages and send you a few pdf's.

As for the links, thanks. Hope they help.

Attached Images    
Old 04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
I don't know how I managed to forget to mention the year, newbie mistake on my part I guess. The truck is an '85 F150 without cruise. The pedals DID come out of a truck that had cruise, but mine doesn't so maybe that's what the switch is for. Maybe these trucks didn't even have a clutch safety start switch I'm not sure. I had a 1990 with an M5OD and I know it did because I remember having to damn near put the clutch through the floor to trigger the switch. I'll have a boo under the dash again tonight and check things out. Thanks very much for the help Gary!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by EffunFiddy
I don't know how I managed to forget to mention the year, newbie mistake on my part I guess. The truck is an '85 F150 without cruise. The pedals DID come out of a truck that had cruise, but mine doesn't so maybe that's what the switch is for. Maybe these trucks didn't even have a clutch safety start switch I'm not sure. I had a 1990 with an M5OD and I know it did because I remember having to damn near put the clutch through the floor to trigger the switch. I'll have a boo under the dash again tonight and check things out. Thanks very much for the help Gary!
You are welcome. However, I may have been a bit hasty. The page below, from the master parts catalog, shows a switch on the linkage and says it is for the starter.

I've gone back and perused the wiring diagrams again, but mine distinctly shows the wiring to come from the starter switch right back to the starter relay. There is no clutch switch, or switch of any kind, in the feed to the starter switch or in the circuit to the starter relay.

We may need to get someone who really knows involved.

Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
That's the little bugger on mine! If it's just a starter interupt switch then maybe I can wire it into the starting system somewhere. I think it's just a two wire connection from the look of it. Maybe somebody on here has run into this before. I'll let you know if I find anything else in the meantime, it'll ease both our curiosity Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's any help the 85 did have the clutch starter switch, at least mine does.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I believe they began that clutch switch in 1982 or 1983 (or so I seem to remember, Ralph would know for certain).

Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Thanks for the replies everyone. I can currently drive the truck as is, and man does it ever work sweet with the T5. The switch isn't urgent, but it's nice to have. There should be some sort of wiring in the truck for the switch I would think, I just can't find it! A friend of mine has an '84 with a straight 6 and 4 speed. Maybe I can get over there and have a look under the dash sometime. I've tried to buy that truck but it's his brother's first truck and he won't part with it, just content to let it sit 110k original KM'S. That's not even warmed up for a 300-6.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by EffunFiddy
Thanks for the replies everyone. I can currently drive the truck as is, and man does it ever work sweet with the T5. The switch isn't urgent, but it's nice to have. There should be some sort of wiring in the truck for the switch I would think, I just can't find it! A friend of mine has an '84 with a straight 6 and 4 speed. Maybe I can get over there and have a look under the dash sometime. I've tried to buy that truck but it's his brother's first truck and he won't part with it, just content to let it sit 110k original KM'S. That's not even warmed up for a 300-6.
Ok, I'd forgotten to ask you to fill out your User Control Panel, but now that you mention kilometers I'll ask - where do you live? And, please put that in your CP.

Anyway, the wiring would probably be the same between the '84 and your truck so go look at his and you may figure yours out.

I still can't figure out why the MPC shows the switch to be standard on my '81, but the '81 wiring diagrams don't show a switch. I'm guessing that's another error in the catalog.

Chris - Do you see a clutch switch for the starter in your diagrams? Do you agree with me that the MPC shows it for the '81?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 AM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
I'm in midwestern Ontario, Canada. I have a wee of a time editing my profile sometimes, can't seem to edit my signature for some reason. It's been awhile since I've been on the forums, things have been a little crazy and it's finally getting back to normal. I might see about having a look at that '84 tonight.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I still can't figure out why the MPC shows the switch to be standard on my '81
Where do you see that? In that erroneous diagram? And, how do you determine anything is standard?

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Chris - Do you see a clutch switch for the starter in your diagrams? No. Do you agree with me that the MPC shows it for the '81? Kinda, yeah.
Well......

Methinks confusion abounds....

I can confirm what you said in Post #4 above... at least in 1981, there is sometimes a switch on the clutch... Circuit #511, light-green wire... The wiring seems to come from the turn signal switch, to the clutch switch, to the speed control amplifier. As the diagram indicates, there is no such switch in that wire with an automatic transmission.

Obviously, this would be if the vehicle had speed (cruise) control installed. My guess would be none of that wiring exists without that installed.

IMHO a good place to find this kind of information is the EVTM. So, I looked there....

Page 18 - the start control circuit with the Duraspark ignition - there is nothing depicted about either a clutch switch nor a neutral safety switch.

This makes perfect sense... 1981 didn't have a start-control switch on the clutch, and with automatic transmissions, the neutral safety switch was integrated into the ignition switch during this year, not a 4-wire combo-switch on the transmission.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11749087

Again, this is for 1981, I have no idea what year of truck the OP in this thread may have.

I then went to the parts catalog and see a switch on the clutch pedal... Illustration Section 75, Page 2, which it labels as 11A152 (SWITCH ASSY. - STARTER) on 1980/82 trucks & Broncos.

Methinks that's an incorrect information to be depicted there, it's not the same switch we're seeing in the speed control circuit .... Go look that part up in the Text section, it's labeled the same as in the diagram but you'll see it applies to 1984+ vehicles only. Section 110 Page 8

Then, why is it depicted in a 1980/82 diagram? This seems to be another error in this book.

Go look at Illustration Section for 1983-86 (Section 75 Page 11) and you'll find the exact same depiction.

I haven't found anything in the parts catalog saying 1981 has such a switch in the start control circuitry and I'd better not, that'd be another error.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well, I think we are in full agreement, but let me work through the responseS one at a time, with mine in green. And, by the way, part of this exercise was to see if I'm using the MPC correctly - apparently I am. Thanks for checking me out.

Originally Posted by ctubutis
Where do you see that? In that erroneous diagram?

Well......

Methinks confusion abounds.... And, why do you say that? I think we agree there is an error in the MPC. See below. .

I can confirm what you said in Post #4 above... at least in 1981, there is sometimes a switch on the clutch... Circuit #511, light-green wire... The wiring seems to come from the turn signal switch, to the clutch switch, to the speed control amplifier. As the diagram indicates, there is no such switch in that wire with an automatic transmission. Agree

Obviously, this would be if the vehicle had speed (cruise) control installed. My guess would be none of that wiring exists without that installed. Agree

IMHO a good place to find this kind of information is the EVTM. So, I looked there.... I don't have a copy - yet.

Page 18 - the start control circuit with the Duraspark ignition - there is nothing depicted about either a clutch switch nor a neutral safety switch.

This makes perfect sense... 1981 didn't have a start-control switch on the clutch, and with automatic transmissions, the neutral safety switch was integrated into the ignition switch during this year, not a 4-wire combo-switch on the transmission.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11749087

Again, this is for 1981, I have no idea what year of truck the OP in this thread may have. 1985. Post #5

I then went to the parts catalog and see a switch on the clutch pedal... Illustration Section 75, Page 2, which it labels as 11A152 (SWITCH ASSY. - STARTER) on 1980/82 trucks & Broncos. Yes, that's what confused me, as shown in Post #6.

Methinks that's an incorrect information to be depicted there, it's not the same switch we're seeing in the speed control circuit .... Go look that part up in the Text section, it's labeled the same as in the diagram but you'll see it applies to 1984+ vehicles only. Section 110 Page 8 I did that as soon as I found the illustration discussed above.

Then, why is it depicted in a 1980/82 diagram? This seems to be another error in this book. Fully agree.

Go look at Illustration Section for 1983-86 (Section 75 Page 11) and you'll find the exact same depiction. Been there, done that - yesterday.

I haven't found anything in the parts catalog saying 1981 has such a switch in the start control circuitry and I'd better not, that'd be another error.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
ctubutis
On a whim, I just looked up Motorcraft SW1909, the clutch switch for 1984/86 pickups... almost $45 and that's on a wholesaler closeout (normally much cheaper than normal).

Sheesh....

I still have no idea where in the parts catalog to find the clutch switch used with speed control. I would think Ford would have combined those functions into one unit but the catalog doesn't seem to be indicating that, at least not in the starter-control switch area.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal switch