1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you lifted guys...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for you lifted guys...

When I bought my truck I had dreams of lifting it 6 to 8 inches, and putting 37 to 38 inch tires on it, I had my mind set on this that is was what I wanted.. Until this last weekend.. Right now my truck is leveled on 35" tires.. Over the weekend I rented a 240lb stump grinder (this was not a towable model).. With the help of the store employee we attempted to lift it high enough to stick into the bed.. It didnt work, it was not the weight preventing us from doing it, it was the height of the bed.. We had to get a second employee to get up into the bed to help pull it up.

After going though this it has made me question how practical the truck will be after lifting it. So my question to all you guys that have lifted rigs, are they still practical for real world use. I always have some sort of home remodel or yard work project going on so this is not giving me second thoughts on the whole lifting thing..

Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, they aren't practical. I regret doing a 4" lift and not just a leveling kit. It costs you mileage and stability as well. If you want bigger tires, do cutout flares and the smallest lift necessary. That way you get the axle clearance of larger tires without the height.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
I installed pocket flares expecting to run bigger tires, and now I almost regret doing that because they make my 35s look so small.. I only bought them due to wanting a lift kit

Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
03_superduty
Junior User
Im lifted 8" with 38's and use my truck all the time. It does make certain things a pain in the *** to get into the bed, but it has its advantages. I dont regret lifting my truck and never will. I love the height and the way it looks and I personally havent run into anything that I couldnt load up in it. Other then that a nice beaver tail trailer works just fine behind mine also.. If you want to lift it, then do it.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
My current truck is only leveled, but I've had several lifted ones in the past. It all depends on how high you lift it. At 8" with 38's I think its safe to say its pretty impractical at that point.

I personally don't see the point of a small lift with cutout flares. It looks like a "mudding" setup to me, which is pointless on these trucks. Get a jeep if you want to go mudding. More clearance over the tires looks much better.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian123
My current truck is only leveled, but I've had several lifted ones in the past. It all depends on how high you lift it. At 8" with 38's I think its safe to say its pretty impractical at that point.

I personally don't see the point of a small lift with cutout flares. It looks like a "mudding" setup to me, which is pointless on these trucks. Get a jeep if you want to go mudding. More clearance over the tires looks much better.
Cutouts aren't for mudding, at least not to me. You gain axle clearance with larger tire without making the truck too tall and unstable. Best for offloading, not for "looks". I don't have a mall crawler.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
ddivinia
Senior User
On muy 2000 Excursion I did a 2.5" lift and level. I was going the 4" with 35" route and I am glad I didn't. Of course the X sits lower in the first place, so it really helped.

D.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Ive got a 2.5" lift/level and I use my truck to work every day.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM
deran 350
New User
lift away my friend

it all depends on what you want to use it for, i have it just for looks, the occational trip to the dunes, football games, etc... it can be impractical if you want to tow or haul, but for that, i have anohter stock truck... i personally love the way they look lifted, heres mine, 8 inch bds, 3815.50r20 and 20x12 fuels

Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 PM
bigbadgixxer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lift away

im w the op heres mine too 8" w 37" nittos and 20x10 rockstars

Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
krusterzf-350
Junior User
Mine on 35" tires is almost too tall to load my cabover camper...I certainly wouldn't want to go higher & I haven't seen a truck on tires bigger than mine doing the things I use my truck for.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mines lifted 4" on 35"s and i use the bed every weekend for hauling bikes..

its a total PITA to get em up in and out.. a step gate would help, but really even at 4"s its still to high if your gunna use the bed all the time.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Gordon-0
Senior User
****, even my 2wd truck's bed is too high for lifting a 300lb palette into without a third person.

but!

that said, if i had a 4wd truck, i'd level it, install cutout flares, and 37" tires in a heartbeat.
they look awesome!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by cbzdel
When I bought my truck I had dreams of lifting it 6 to 8 inches, and putting 37 to 38 inch tires on it, I had my mind set on this that is was what I wanted.. Until this last weekend.. Right now my truck is leveled on 35" tires.. Over the weekend I rented a 240lb stump grinder (this was not a towable model).. With the help of the store employee we attempted to lift it high enough to stick into the bed.. It didnt work, it was not the weight preventing us from doing it, it was the height of the bed.. We had to get a second employee to get up into the bed to help pull it up.

After going though this it has made me question how practical the truck will be after lifting it. So my question to all you guys that have lifted rigs, are they still practical for real world use. I always have some sort of home remodel or yard work project going on so this is not giving me second thoughts on the whole lifting thing..
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
mines lifted 4" on 35"s and i use the bed every weekend for hauling bikes..

its a total PITA to get em up in and out.. a step gate would help, but really even at 4"s its still to high if your gunna use the bed all the time.
Great thread cbzdel. I was contemplating a 4" lift. But because of Fordfanatic's reply above I may have to keep it 2"-2-1/2".

Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM
2000 Shorty DWR
Freshman User
Had the red 2000 lifted 4" for a couple of years. Looked great!! Bought me a drop hitch to haul the sleds or the quads on the trailer. Used the trailer for hauling lumber, concrete, etc. as well so I wouldn't break my back trying to load/unload the bed.

But when I bought the slide in camper that was a different story. Not practical at all. COG was much to high. So took out the lift and sold it, put in a leveling kit and other suspension mods for the weight of the camper and haven't thought twice about loosing the lift. Till now that is......SD look awesome when lifted.

Now that I have the dually, maybe I'll have to lift red again......

You can lift the truck if that's what you really want to do and get a trailer to haul the goodies.

Quick Reply: Question for you lifted guys...