1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Stereo install Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Ruin87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo install Issues.

I am at a loss. I am trying to install a Pioneer DEH-64BT in my '84 F-150. It originally had the standard AM/FM radio with the cassette player. I've wired everything according to the diagrams on both the wiring harness that CarToys sold me, and the stereo. I think I have a good ground, but I'm not sure. On the old radio, I don't recall there being a separate ground wire. It was all contained in the plug on the back, aside from the antenna plug. Whatever I try, I get no power to the stereo, be it in accessory or while the truck is running. The stereo is brand new so I hope it is not simply just shot from the get go. This is the harness they sold me here:

Metra Part # 70-1772 | Ford wire harness | Metra Online

So, I got a two part question here. Is this even the proper harness? I do not have a 4 speaker set up, if it is I'm assuming that I simply do not wire those up. Even when I did, I got no power anyway. And for those who've done stereo installs, where did you place your ground connection? I'm guessing that the reason I have no power is that my ground isn't good enough, but I can't seem to find a good spot. My fuses are fine.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before or seems like a silly topic. I'd still be out trying to figure things out myself but I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The yellow/black stripe(or dash) wire is the main audio power wire for the truck. It is switched power, and only has power when the truck is turned on. The green/yellow wire is for constant memory, which is only used to save settings like the factory clock, and the time and radio presets on the 1985-1986 Electronic radio. I'm not sure if your truck would even have the green/yellow wire branched off from the factory for your radio, but you may need to add it if your radio isn't saving your pre-sets.

The Blue/Red wire is for back light illumination, and is only used to light up the original radio. You may not need this wire, since the aftermarket radio *should* light up using the main power feed wire. I can't quite remember on this old of a truck.

As for your ground, the factory radios ground to the dash frame with a special large clip deal on the bottom of the factory radio. For an aftermarket radio, you will need to run a special ground wire to one of the holes drilled through the dash frame behind the radio. Make sure you sand the hole down and get rid of any rust, as that may affect your ground.

If you radio isn't even turning on, you need to make sure all the above factors are correct before you do anything else. Also, double check your fuses. There is always the chance that you may have overlooked a fuse, or missed a tiny break in the filament strip.