6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Air bags...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,098 Likes on 2,224 Posts
I don't see how moving the bag to the outside of the frame (@ the top mount) via custom bracket and on top of the spring (@the bottom mount) would be an issue provided there is proper clearance for the suspension to work and the bags had the required minimum pressure in them (mine are min 5psi). The installation might be a bit trickier, but I think if I was going that route, I'd fab up my own brackets and have them powder coated.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Not to hijack the thread but I have a question. I'm planning on putting air bags on my truck and can't use the kit that puts the bags inside the frame rail like posted above since the 5" exhaust I have would be in the way.

Any advantage/disadvantage to using the kit that mounts the bag above the spring/outside the frame rail? That's what I plan to install at some point in the near future. Seems most everyone uses the kit that puts the bag inside the frame rail and directly on top of the axle.

I realize I would have to drill holes in the frame for the upper bag mounts and that's no problem.

Any input appreciated!
should be no problem as long as u don't have and don't intend to install the gooseneck/5th under bed hitch.. OR YOU make your own upper bracket..

thats the only reason I installed the 2535 kit.. cause I DO intend to install a gooseneck hitch and I do NOT plan to make my own brackets.
(I got a list a mile long of other things to work on)

Sam

Old 05-22-2012, 04:05 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
Slight misalignment is by no means the end of the world. If you are able to "wiggle it" into a better position that should only help the matter. The same type of bags are used in far worse scenarios you just get the most direct lift from everything being parallel.
you mean like my trailair hitch :

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As mentioned, if you don't plan to run a fifth wheel you can use the kit designed for outside the frame. There have been a few people customize them to work with a fifth wheel as well.

Jdadamsjr, that's a good example of a situation where the bag has to be placed near a pivot. The bag should be fine as long as it is not rubbing against the bottom. Sometimes the bags are placed at extreme angles, enough so that the sides rub the lower or upper mount brackets. This can start to wear the rubber of the bag and cause a leak. I would just keep an eye on it to watch for any abrasions along the sides.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
AirLiftCompany
what kit do i use on my 2011 F250 when I do plan on going to a 5th wheel?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Yeppers - at first I was concerned about it, so I even let all the air out of both bags and tried to straighten.... was fine til I loaded the 5er up again and then it twisted like that....

spoke to trail-air about it and they said no problem ! so I don't consider it one...

Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM
jetpilot2
Tuned
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
AirLiftCompany
what kit do i use on my 2011 F250 when I do plan on going to a 5th wheel?
Gixxer,

You should need the Load Lifter 5000 (#57396). I just installed these yesterday along with the Wireless (72000) controller.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Sorry for the delay, Jetpilot is right assuming your truck is 4wd the kit for yours would be 57396. If it is 2wd though you will need 57395, they are very similar just slightly different brackets.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Marching Ant
Senior User
From what I've read, the primary difference between the Air Lift and Firestone bags appears to be ease of install (what else am I missing?). So I was leaning towards the Firestones until, in another thread, Air Lift 57396 or Firestone 2535, a poster stated that the brackets were redesigned (near the end of 2011) to make the install smoother. Since a few people in this thread have installed the Air Lift bags recently, how did it go?

Perhaps the lower retail price, rebate(s), and redesign tip the scales toward Air Lift.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on either set of bags,

MA

Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
RACING1320
Junior User
Originally Posted by Marching Ant
From what I've read, the primary difference between the Air Lift and Firestone bags appears to be ease of install (what else am I missing?). So I was leaning towards the Firestones until, in another thread, Air Lift 57396 or Firestone 2535, a poster stated that the brackets were redesigned (near the end of 2011) to make the install smoother. Since a few people in this thread have installed the Air Lift bags recently, how did it go?

Perhaps the lower retail price, rebate(s), and redesign tip the scales toward Air Lift.

MA
I have the Air Lift system. I am 100% satisfied. I did the install myself. It is time consuming. I made a post with pictures about 2 months ago. I tow a 46 foot goose neck which is about 16,500lbs. The truck is level when driving straight, on turns and the ride is not hard or stiff. I would recommend this system to everyone. I also bought the individual kit with gauge. Well worth the money.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
From what I've read, the primary difference between the Air Lift and Firestone bags appears to be ease of install (what else am I missing?).
Unless things have changed, AirLift has larger bags = lower air pressures.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
air_bag_VS_FIRESTONE.pdf (32.8 KB, 287 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
Just returned from a 3500 mile trip with the toy hauler and I was very pleased with the ride from the Firestone kit I installed. No complaints. Feels great going down the road level.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
The major reason I ever tell someone to choose us over any other company is customer service. Each kit can vary on how hard the install is, so it becomes hard to compare on a general basis. However, most of our 5th wheel kits for the Super Duties were redesigned late last year. This was driven by listening to the customer and acting on problems which were brought to our attention.

My role on the forums I think goes a long way in showing how much AirLift is committed to customer feedback and support.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
jetpilot2
Tuned

MA
I've only done one long tow (48', 700+ miles) since installing them, then left the country. I'm heading back now and these will get the STRESS-TEST staring next month to include a trip to the west coast and back pulling the "beast".

Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Ease of installation was low on the priority list for me...
(I let others do work I don't want to do )

the fact that they work for what I wanted was my primary concern (and both mfg's do that)
The rebate and forum participation was the tipping point in my decision...

Quick Reply: Air bags...