Air Lift 57396 or Firestone 2535

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Bounty_Hunter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Lift 57396 or Firestone 2535

Does anyone have any experience installing the Airlift 57396 Load Lifter 5000 on a 2011 Super Duty? I have seen several installs of the Firestone air bags, but the only one that I've seen recently about the AirLift system was not very positive. I wonder if this kit was engineered for this application or just made to fit. I intend to purchase a complete system, and currently AirLift has the best deal if you buy the compressor kit at the same time. That being said, I would also llike to do the install myself and from what I've read the Firestone kit is not too difficult to install. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BH

Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I would also like to see how people weigh in on this subject. But I would like to know who used what system with a 5th wheel set up. Since it seems some of the systems won't work with a 5th wheel or some dually. And I do have a drw and plan to add a 5th wheel with air bags.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I can comment here. My friend just installed the AirLift bags and had a very difficult experience. He actually had to remove nearly installed bags several times until he got it right. He says the bags themselves look great and will work fine but the money he saved on the purchase price cost him about 5 hours of frustrating install time. Apparently the install is just very complex and the documentation is difficult to follow. He installed the Firestones on his previous Chev so he had a good comparison. He is also a competent wrench turner so I'll take his word for it.

There are two other guys who had similar painful installation experiences.

My Firestone airbag install was pretty easy. The optional compressor install took me a little extra time due to a bad fuse barrel but I got the job done. Here's an example:

2011 Ford Super Duty Airbags Installation - YouTube

Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Bounty_Hunter
New User
Thanks Epic, I have viewed your install several times, and that is probably the way I'll go. I just thought with the extra $100 rebate the AirLift package might be worth a little extra labor. If it is going to be the PITA that you describe it may not be worth it.

Thanks Again,
BH

Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Bounty_Hunter
Thanks Epic, I have viewed your install several times, and that is probably the way I'll go. I just thought with the extra $100 rebate the AirLift package might be worth a little extra labor. If it is going to be the PITA that you describe it may not be worth it.

Thanks Again,
BH
For what it's worth, here's a post from the diesel stop:

---Quote (Originally by ds53652)---
Well, I just ATTEMPTED to install the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 onto my 2011 F350 6.7. What a disaster. The kit (57396) is a POS in my opinion. The quality of the bags themselves are awesome, but the way they mount/install is ridiculous, and in my opinion, impossible.

1. On the drivers side, the top bracket is darn near impossible to install due to the wiring harnesses, the mount for the DEF tank and some other lines.
2. On the passenger side, there's no way to tighten one of the bolts that attaches the top of the airbag to the top side bracket.
3. Per the instructions, you have to literally bang off a large piece of the bottom mounts with a hammer. The instructions say you may have to use a grinder to cut it off (which I had to do on both lower mounts).
4. The instructions just plain suck, bigtime.

After I ran into issue #2 above, I said screw this and backed everything out and returned the truck to factory. I'll be returning this kit through amazon and ordering the Riderite kit.

I went with the Airlift kit because the bags look to be a lot better quality than the Riderite bags. And I figured since I was going to use the Airlift 72000 Wireless kit, I might as well keep it all in the family so to speak, one throat to choke, etc, etc. But man, extremely poor design of the mounting mechanisims with the Airlift bag kit.

So fair warning if anyone is considering going with an all Airlift system. I'd very strongly recommend going with the combo of Airlift Wireless 72000 and the Riderite bag kit, like Epic did.

Now patiently waiting on my Riderite bag kit....
---End Quote---

+1 on the issues with the Airlift install. I ended up sending my Airlift bags back and installed the Ride-Rite. The install was very smooth. The 72000 wireless is awesome!

John

Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed the Firestone 2535's and they where fairly simple to install with the main concern being the routing of the air lines so as not to have problems down the road.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Bounty_Hunter
New User
After some extensive thought and research on my own, I called Brad at AirLift. We discussed my concerns and I was informed that there were some design changes in the 57396 kit as well as the 72000 wireless kit. After more discussion I was invited to stop by at my convenience. I did so the following week and was given a tour of the facilities. I learned that most, if not all of the components in all of their products are made in the USA, which is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

During my visit I spoke to their engineer on this system and learned what some of the improvements in the kits were. The brackets in the 57396 kit have been redesigned so it is not necessary to remove the welded on piece of the lower brackets, and I believe the left upper bracket has also undergone some modification.

The 72000 wireless kit has also undergone some design changes. There is no longer a need to join the controller, as it has been joined during production. Additionally, there is only one wire (14ga. I believe) that needs to be run to the front of the vehicle. This wire runs to a key on source in the power distribution box and is fused with a 15A spade type fuse. The wire that runs to the battery has been eliminated.

This information along with the $100 rebate and the fact that this is a Michigan company helped me greatly in my decision to purchase these kits. The best deal that I found was online at Advance Auto. They had pretty much the same prices as other online sellers with a 15% discount and a $50 rebate

More to follow on the installation.

Regards,
BH

Last edited by Bounty_Hunter; 11-13-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: fat finger
Old 11-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Bounty_Hunter
New User
After some thought I decided to have the install done. I did some searching for someone who had some experience installing the AirLift kits. I found someone who, although it was not their main focus, had more than the necessary experience, who agreed to do the install. I was allowed in the shop to monitor the install, which incidentally took about 3.5 hours including both kits (57396 and 72000).

One of the first things I noticed that may present problems, was the orientation of the bags on the lower brackets. There are various options, but on this application the bags mount toward the rear of the newly designed brackets. This kit is a relatively snug fit, and there is only enough room for them to fit this way. The upper brackets went in without a problem. Once the lower brackets and bags were properly oriented, they also fit as designed. There was no need to modify the brake lines. The left side slid between the lines and the axle and the right side slid over the lines. Care needs to be taken when tightening the long bolts to the lower axle housing bracket to avoid the brake and ABS line. One thing I noticed is that is imperative is to tighten the brackets in the order that is described in the instructions. There was no real problem getting to any of the bolts on this install. The whole install was done with common hand tools, with the exception of a cordless drill and a 3/8 impact (only used to run down the nylock nuts on the long carriage bolts). All of the fasteners were tightened by hand.

The wireless 72000 kit was mounted above the spare tire mount as others have described. This kit has also been updated. There is no longer any need to Join the controller with the manifold, as it has been done in production. The connection direct to the battery has been eliminated. There is only one wire (14ga.) that needs to be connected to a key on source. This was connected to the same point as others have pointed out in the power distribution box under the hood on the left side of the engine compartment. The intake for the compressor was routed along with the wire to a spot under the hood where it should remain dry.

The whole install went very smooth and took only about 3.5 hours from about 8:30 untill noon. So far all that I have done is play with some of the settings. I havent had an occasion yet to try it out under a load, but I willl keep everyone posted.

Regards,
BH

Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
xcbiker
New User
Firestone 2535

I recently installed the Firestone 2535 kit and the instructions could have been better. One guy posted a video but it doesn't give enough detail. I got through it and fitment is great except for the driver side. It's a pain getting the Emergency brake cable out of the way so it doesn't rub the bag. Brackets and bags themselves installed very well.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
It is always encouraging to hear a manufacturer is responding to problems in installation as Lord knows there are enough of them. Kudos to Airlift in that regards.

While have no direct experience with Airlift, I have install Firestone on mulitple applications and have never had a problem either with installation or after the install.

Steve

Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM
travisgsf
New User
Bringing up an old thread here. Curious to see if anyone has installed these recently incase there has been updates to the hardware to make an easier install. I see a lot of older comments saying the install was very difficult but I also saw a recent comment on amazon to show a very easy install. Has the hardware changed? Also does anyone know if it will fit with a pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM
marspec
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Snip

My Firestone airbag install was pretty easy. The optional compressor install took me a little extra time due to a bad fuse barrel but I got the job done. Here's an example:

2011 Ford Super Duty Airbags Installation - YouTube
I take it you do not have the upfitter switches since you went to the fusebox. Am I right in assuming that?