Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Air bags... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1156145-air-bags.html)

SavageNFS 04-18-2012 05:14 PM

Air bags...

So I couldn't wait until Friday to install the airbags and wireless compressor. Firestone bags and AirLift wireless compressor. It took me just under 4 hours from start to finish. I love them already! Thanks to Epic's awesome video which made this install so easy...thanks!
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/s...418_164021.jpg
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/s...418_164033.jpg

Sailor Roy 04-18-2012 05:48 PM

Great Savage!
Sounds like you are a wee bit Happy already :-jammin:-jammin

We'll need a road report... empty and loaded :D

SavageNFS 04-18-2012 08:12 PM

So far so good...I ran to soccer with 20 lbs in the bags and the truck rode nice. It'll be next week before I pick up the 5th wheel and give them a real test. Truck is ready though!

shadowSVT 04-18-2012 10:38 PM

your going to love the bags.
I've had them on all 3 of my SD's and they are worth every penny.
I usually run with 5# in them unloaded and 45-55 towing, depending on how much firewood I have in the bed of the truck.

AirLiftCompany 04-19-2012 05:00 AM

Thanks for choosing one of our products. If you ever have any questions or concerns I would be happy to help any way I can.

SavageNFS 04-19-2012 07:07 AM

Thank you...I love the compressor so far. It works very well!

Jimax 04-19-2012 07:36 AM

Nice. Curious to see how they do with the 5th wheel hooked up.

SavageNFS 04-19-2012 08:29 AM

I dropped the Air down to 10 pounds and the truck rode a little better empty. I will try 5 pounds later today.

jdadamsjr 04-19-2012 08:54 AM

If you don't have one, get a low pressure air gauge like 0-15 lbs so you can tell the difference between 0,5, and 10 easier :)

Ah, on edit - u have the compressor - Dooh ! never mind !

the gauge I use for the truck just didn't cut it when going that low pressure, even though it was digital !

Now that I've messed up enough with this - I have a process :)
Measure your height with the bags @ 5 psi,
load up the 5er and bring it back to that height....

I also have a trail air pin setup that needs air to to bring the shock up to the right level, so I got a battery operated Ryobi air pump I can pull around it all :)
Ryobi - Air Inflator / Air Pump / WorkLight (Brand New) Cordless Unit on eBay!

SavageNFS 04-19-2012 09:14 AM

jdadamsjr...I was actually planning on doing exactly that! I just took a small ride with the bags at 5psf. I think that is the sweet spot empty. We are going wheeling Saturday so I'll hook up the ATV trailer to the truck and bring it up to the height of the truck with the 5 psf in the bags. I'm guessing it will take 20-25psf as that is only around 6000 pounds and around 750 pounds of tongue weight.

I pick up the 5th wheel next week. I have a few things to finish up here over the weekend and then I will be ready for it. We basically made a driveway into the woods behind the house to make room to park it. From time to time, family will actually stay in the trailer when they come to visit.

The first time I hook up to the 5th wheel, I may need to adjust the height of the B&W in addition to getting the correct height on the truck. Ideally, I want the trailer level with the truck at the same height as with 5psf in the bags. The B&W has three height adjustments for the plate. I have mine set at the highest currently. I'm hoping for 6" between the bed rails and the trailer as when I back into my property, there is a rather steep hill that we back up. I'm going to need a set of eyes the first time to gauge how close the 5th wheel gets to the bed rails. I don't think it will touch, but I want some room. When I pick her up the first time, I'll at least be able to get the B&W plate height to where I think it needs to be and adjust as I get more familiar towing the trailer. Does this sound reasonable or do you all have some different opinions?

jdadamsjr 04-19-2012 09:36 AM

you are on the right path as far as my Days of experience show :)

be slow and methodical with your new toy - I was for the first month - then got 'confident'

train your second set of eyes to tell you only what you need to hear... not a long description - just the commands !

first and foremost STOP "loud with hands up" is as far as I've gotten with the new wife!

the rest of it I get out to look :)

(Oh and warning about making family TOO comfortable..... they tend to stay !)

SavageNFS 04-19-2012 09:39 AM

Thanks! My spotter is actually my 14 year old daughter most times. She is actually really observant and good at communicating with Dad.

Sailor Roy 04-19-2012 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SavageNFS (Post 11729318)
jdadamsjr...I was actually planning on doing exactly that! I just took a small ride with the bags at 5psf. I think that is the sweet spot empty. We are going wheeling Saturday so I'll hook up the ATV trailer to the truck and bring it up to the height of the truck with the 5 psf in the bags. I'm guessing it will take 20-25psf as that is only around 6000 pounds and around 750 pounds of tongue weight.

I pick up the 5th wheel next week. I have a few things to finish up here over the weekend and then I will be ready for it. We basically made a driveway into the woods behind the house to make room to park it. From time to time, family will actually stay in the trailer when they come to visit.

The first time I hook up to the 5th wheel, I may need to adjust the height of the B&W in addition to getting the correct height on the truck. Ideally, I want the trailer level with the truck at the same height as with 5psf in the bags. The B&W has three height adjustments for the plate. I have mine set at the highest currently. I'm hoping for 6" between the bed rails and the trailer as when I back into my property, there is a rather steep hill that we back up. I'm going to need a set of eyes the first time to gauge how close the 5th wheel gets to the bed rails. I don't think it will touch, but I want some room. When I pick her up the first time, I'll at least be able to get the B&W plate height to where I think it needs to be and adjust as I get more familiar towing the trailer. Does this sound reasonable or do you all have some different opinions?

You got it !! Have Fun :-jammin

Family...... "Remember, Family - Fish - Friends all stink after 3 days" :-X04

SavageNFS 04-19-2012 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy (Post 11729943)
You got it !! Have Fun :-jammin

Family...... "Remember, Family - Fish - Friends all stink after 3 days" :-X04

truer words have never been spoken...:-X04

FishingNut 04-19-2012 12:01 PM

Savage,

I did not notice a heat shield on the airbag on the right rear...was it hiding or not necessary?