ECU / PCM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 AM
POWERSTROKE ARUBA
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU / PCM replacement

Guys couple of Q's.

1. Can a ECU / PCM go bad? What may be the reason here for? What is the average lifetime of a ECU / PCM?

2. Can any ECU/PCM of any any diesel truck 7.3 fit each other just as the IDM swapping or replacement.
e.g. a 2002 ECU F250 / 350 in a 1997 F350

Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can go bad. I know they can just loose their minds per say and need to be re-flashed also.

You pretty much have to stick with the same DTC type as far as I know. But I could be wrong about that. The California PCMs are a different animal. The Super Duty PCM is different than ours too. They can be made to function in these rigs. But unless you were going with a 4R100 in place a E40D I don't see the advantage.

Your PCM code can be read on the driver side of it if you have good eyes. I used a inspection mirror.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM
POWERSTROKE ARUBA
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
They can go bad. I know they can just loose their minds per say and need to be re-flashed also.

You pretty much have to stick with the same DTC type as far as I know. But I could be wrong about that. The California PCMs are a different animal. The Super Duty PCM is different than ours too. They can be made to function in these rigs. But unless you were going with a 4R100 in place a E40D I don't see the advantage.

Your PCM code can be read on the driver side of it if you have good eyes. I used a inspection mirror.
Yesterday I met a friend with a F350 1999 and I have asked him if he had problems with the PCM.
My explain to him and to you what happen about 2 yrs ago.

I bought this truck that had about 2 to 3 yrs not running and missing some engine parts like altinator, vaccuum pump, powersteering defect and brake lines. So I fixed it with some help and it started.(Great sound of truck)
About running this truck for less than a month a stopped at a tireshop to fill the tires and when leaving it just stopped as of the clutch has slipped out of my foot., but wich as not the case. I try to start and start, cranks, cranks but no start. So at that point tow it home.

I found a mechanic who had a scanner and had done a quick diagnose for me and he said that the readings he got was as follows: 1 to eight injectors are open and two readings. now heres is the problem that of two years ago I got confused with the IDM or PCM. But I recall the guy say something of ECU failure.

So far I have checked all advice I have could have read and got about fuses, bowl heater wire connection, water in IDM, battery and all the other factor which I don't see as failure or defect.

So this is the problem I have a great truck big and tough and it is not running.

Now about flashing the ECU / PCM do I have to buy a special tool for it or what?

Thanks for your advice

Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
I would think if you could "communicate" with the pcm to scan for codes that would mean it is still good.......To cover the basics... Do you get the wait to start light? when you are cranking to start does your tachometer bounce up off the needle? do you have fuel in your fuel bowl? fuel pressure?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What scanner did your friend use?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM
POWERSTROKE ARUBA
Freshman User
Originally Posted by madpogue
What scanner did your friend use?
I really don't know I asumme from the last infos i'm lloking at and the colour of the machine he had looks like a snap on mt 2500 but not sure

Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM
POWERSTROKE ARUBA
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600
I would think if you could "communicate" with the pcm to scan for codes that would mean it is still good.......To cover the basics... Do you get the wait to start light? when you are cranking to start does your tachometer bounce up off the needle? do you have fuel in your fuel bowl? fuel pressure?
The wts light does not come on, the cel comes and goes out fast, there is fuel in the bowl, the rpm doesn't move.

My friend said that it could have been possible that I have bumped in a hole and that caused the pcm to shock and short itsself in kind a way that I need to reprogram the pcm again. I can recall that I have bumped just before it wnt off.

I still need to measure the fuses. They all look ok.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
It seems like we have been through all this before, lol.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-start-2.html
Fuse #22 under the hood is the power to the PCM. Check fuse 22 with a meter. Also swap the PCM relay with another one in the relay center (the horn relay is a good one to swap with) and see what you get then.Don't do anything else until you check this fuse, alright?

If Fuse 22 is good and swapping the relays does not help, check the red wire that goes into the wiring connector to the PCM (from the engine compartment side). If you don't have 12V there the PCM does not have power.

If you have power to the PCM and you're not getting a "wait to start" light (I assume you did get the light before all this started happening) I think you are looking at a bad PCM.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE ARUBA
The wts light does not come on, the cel comes and goes out fast, there is fuel in the bowl, the rpm doesn't move.

My friend said that it could have been possible that I have bumped in a hole and that caused the pcm to shock and short itsself in kind a way that I need to reprogram the pcm again. I can recall that I have bumped just before it wnt off.

I still need to measure the fuses. They all look ok.
no wait to start light means no power to the pcm.. find fuse 22 under the hood and replace it..AFTER YOU UNPLUG THE FUEL BOWL HEATER!! it wont hurt anything, i deleted my heater as a whole.. the tach not moving could be your cam position sensor, but i would start with getting the wait to start like back! good luck.. this site will get you up and running!!!

your faster nate!!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
your faster nate!!
Faster on not, we're heading the same direction!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
I thought this was a familiar thread......

Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 AM
POWERSTROKE ARUBA
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
It seems like we have been through all this before, lol.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-start-2.html
Fuse #22 under the hood is the power to the PCM. Check fuse 22 with a meter. Also swap the PCM relay with another one in the relay center (the horn relay is a good one to swap with) and see what you get then.Don't do anything else until you check this fuse, alright?

If Fuse 22 is good and swapping the relays does not help, check the red wire that goes into the wiring connector to the PCM (from the engine compartment side). If you don't have 12V there the PCM does not have power.

If you have power to the PCM and you're not getting a "wait to start" light (I assume you did get the light before all this started happening) I think you are looking at a bad PCM.
Nate, thanks for the help.
There were two red wires on the pcm that came from the engine comp. more spec from uner the relays. Both have 12v but no wts light. all fuses are ok. relays are ok. So I will assume or believe that pcm has gone bad.

My Q on this matter.

I was searching and found out about flashing / reprogramming (er) should I do this with the pcm or look for a new or remanufactured one. I have found reman. for about $120 new ones will kill me at the moment. pls advice.

Look in to this for me pls.

DriveWire - 1997 Ford F-350 XL 8 Cyl 7.3L Engine Control Unit

Edge Products Evolution Programmer 15000

Oh and my apol for repaeting the thread I taught to discuss the pcm only.
http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums.../party0031.gif
peace out

Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
here's one for you.
Ford 1997 PCM ECU ECM F250 F350 | eBay
i could be wrong or confused here, but why can he scan and communicate with the pcm if its gone bad??

Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM
POWERSTROKE ARUBA
Freshman User
here's one for you.
Ford 1997 PCM ECU ECM F250 F350 | eBay
i could be wrong or confused here, but why can he scan and communicate with the pcm if its gone bad??
Hi Bryan, thx for the link, but I think that is a idm look good at the pics.

about comm with the pcm i don't know much, thats why i'm here with you guys to learn.

thx again

eugene

Quick Reply: ECU / PCM replacement