Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea Foam Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Foam Questions

OK so the advice on these boards has been impecable. You guys are awesome and any of you near Fort Worth Texas PM me and I'll buy the first few beers.

Now I keep reading the heck out of people saying they "Sea Foamed" their intakes and such. I went to the Sea Foam website and did some reading and now want to ask a few questions.

1. My truck is near 200K miles and doesn't leak or burn a drop between oil changes. I have always been kinda old school in the thought that adding engine cleaners to the crank case can break up more crap than you want, what do you guys suggest?

2. I add Valvaline complete fuel system cleaner to both tanks and fill em with super every oil change (3000-3500 miles). I used to love thier full synthetic line but they dropped it for whatever stupid reason. Do you guys think Sea Foam is any better in the gas?

3. Dripping it in the vacuum lines will that not dry the crap out of the lines and what are your thought on this?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Intimnasc
1. My truck is near 200K miles and doesn't leak or burn a drop between oil changes. I have always been kinda old school in the thought that adding engine cleaners to the crank case can break up more crap than you want, what do you guys suggest?
I only put motor oil in my crank case and nothing else.

2. I add Valvaline complete fuel system cleaner to both tanks and fill em with super every oil change (3000-3500 miles). I used to love thier full synthetic line but they dropped it for whatever stupid reason. Do you guys think Sea Foam is any better in the gas?
I only put gas in the fuel tanks and nothing else. If my injectors need cleaning I do it from the fuel rail with the vacuum line remover from the FPR and the fuel pump relay removed. Then I run the engine on straight fuel injector cleaner.

3. Dripping it in the vacuum lines will that not dry the crap out of the lines and what are your thought on this?
I have not had any problem with the brake booster vacuum line after putting Sea Foam through it. That is the only place I put Sea Foam in my truck, not the fuel tank or crank case.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM
boilerbill
New User
No Seafoam

I,ve had to replace the rubber on every machine I used Seafoam in. I used it in 2 motorcycles, a chainsaw & two weedeaters (Thankfully I had not put it in a car or truck yet). All the rubber in the carbs & all the fuel lines dried out and crumbled, just as if they were a hundred years old. I'll never use it again!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
oldmongo
Elder User
Thumbs down See foam !!!

I am NOT a believer in Seafoam anyplace !!!
I had the "old ones " tell me of a story passed down thru the years... Use water sprayed in the intake ...Remove the intake hoses/air cleaner ( for carb equipped cars N trucks) get you garden hose down to a fine mist/spray... when the motor is at runnung temp, rev the motor at around 2500-3000 RPM then feed in the water, being careful NOT to let it die... I did mine for around 10 min. ... remove water ... let it idle... it should dry it self off quickly. Re-attach all the intake stuff... then drive, it should be much smoother. If you feel it could be smoother... do it again !!! REMEMBER the motor and converter MUST BE HOT !!! CAUTION If you use too much water, not likely, you could hydro-lock ... "lock up" the motor NOT GOOD!!! Dave
"No baby seals will be harmed with this product"

Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
vtjvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I add a can of seafoam to each of my vehicles tanks twice a year. Never have had any problems. I wouldn't put it in my oil but thats just me. I have also used the water trick in our 78 CJ5, I have to admit I was not to sure about it, but it cleaned it out and she is running nice and smooth now.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM
oldmongo
Elder User
Arrow In the tank stuff

The best results from any product I've used is from BG products. It is a dealer only or shop use. The last place I found it was at a BIG O TIRE STORE
in the mean time about every month or so, I dose each tank with the small bottle of Lucas ... been doing that for about 2 yrs... kept my Hi-way MPG close to 14 and city was 12.5 max.
After I did the 6 Liter tune, combo MPG IS 14.47... I feel a road trip coming !!!

Dave

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Well traditionally I add a bottle of Valvoline complete fuel system cleaner to each tank at every oil change. I had just read alot of people saying they "seafoamed" their trucks and did a little research.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM
oldmongo
Elder User
Well traditionally I add a bottle of Valvoline complete fuel system cleaner to each tank at every oil change. I had just read alot of people saying they "seafoamed" their trucks and did a little research.
If it works for you that's fine. Every product has it's haters and it's lovers, weather it's from experience of use, a recommendation by a trusted friend or the always popular ... "that's what my dad used" !!! Through the 90's I worked at a Saturn dealership in Ca. and watched many cars go thru service and get the BG cleaning. I did my own customer survey and a large % of them cited the gas they used ... the gas was Arco regular. I will let you draw your own conclusions, I don't use it anymore, myself !!!
DISCLAIMER: No, I don't work for BG or have any interest in the company.