Replacing ac system - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Replacing ac system

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
avenge
Senior User
avenge is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replacing ac system

I have 95 e150 van, I'm replacing the compressor, condenser, evaporator, accumulator, orifice and all o-rings.

Is there anything else I should be replacing and are there connections I need special tools for?

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
If you're going this far I'd consider a new line set, the hose and connector block running from the compressor too. It should be available aftermarket but I'd check with Ford too---maybe one of our sponsors here on FTE? Tousley Ford and Ed The Parts Guy are worth a look.

There are tools for the Quick Connect A/C fittings, Lisle or Cal-Van are good sources but they're mid-level quality----might be something more affordable if this is just a one time job for you. This might be cheap enough for most anyone: Astro Pneumatic 78930 15 Piece Master Disconnect Kit | eBay

Getting time to check my own A/C---replaced these same parts last year and now have about 38* leaving air temp in the Max Air or recirculating mode!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 PM
avenge
Senior User
Ya I figure after 17 years I may as well replace it all. The lines are expensive!!!

Anyone recommend a good inline filter? Of course if I replace the lines there's nothing left to filter.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
If your '95 is anything like my '00 the accumulator/dryer fits into a very tight space and most of the aftermarket pieces I've seen don't fit. My crash book shows different part numbers, you'd be looking for F6UZ-19C836-AA or its superseded number. The aftermarket brands tend to have a bolt flange on the very bottom which keeps them from properly fitting into its space.

Check with your stealership for a price but I believe they're about $80.

There is no filter per se but changing the lines and orifice tube along with your other maintenance should eliminate any potential clog.

A/C is expensive for sure---but on those hot humid days it doesn't seem that bad right?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 AM
rickblake
New User
rickblake is starting off with a positive reputation.
AIR PUMP

Hi again some time since I contacted you re my e350 7.5l V8 1986 LPG gas and pertrol her in sunny UK London England. I have always had high emissions and have been trying to understand why. Today I have noticed that the air pump is not working as the belt is not there from the alternator and water pump (i think) and air pump. Also now found near the air bypass valve a red vacuum hose which has been plugged of with a screw!! Could this lack of air pump use and blocked vacuum hose explain high emissions? Cheers Rick

Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Rick who is your question intended for?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM
rickblake
New User
air pump

Hi its for you JWA as you helped me out a few years ago

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Hey Rick----good to hear from you again!

I'm guessing but certainly can't say for certain but if the air pump is disconnected as you describe that has to affect your emissions. Engines that used "smog pumps" as we called them have were designed as a system, if/when one part fails or is disabled it can greatly affect the engine's performance and of course emissions too.

My best advice would be to post your concerns in the FTE forum which deals with your year, model and engine configuration---many here still running that type.

Has your fuel mileage suffered too, when running petrol?

PS: We'd discussed wiper components yes?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM
rickblake
New User
air pump

yes we did and I managed to get some from a scrap yard in michigan I think!!
I will post as you suggest thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Rick I'm always glad to help anyone seeking anything, especially our overseas friends who drive something imported!

Feel free to contact me anytime at all!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM
avenge
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
If your '95 is anything like my '00 the accumulator/dryer fits into a very tight space and most of the aftermarket pieces I've seen don't fit. My crash book shows different part numbers, you'd be looking for F6UZ-19C836-AA or its superseded number. The aftermarket brands tend to have a bolt flange on the very bottom which keeps them from properly fitting into its space.

Check with your stealership for a price but I believe they're about $80.

There is no filter per se but changing the lines and orifice tube along with your other maintenance should eliminate any potential clog.

A/C is expensive for sure---but on those hot humid days it doesn't seem that bad right?
I briefly looked at mine and ya it's a tight space. I already have the accumulator. I'll have to compare it. The filter I was`talking about is an inline add on just for insurance in case there's anything in the system so it doesn't screw up the new compressor.

When I had my 86 1ton I promised myself I would never have another van without AC.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
I briefly looked at mine and ya it's a tight space. I already have the accumulator. I'll have to compare it. The filter I was`talking about is an inline add on just for insurance in case there's anything in the system so it doesn't screw up the new compressor.

When I had my 86 1ton I promised myself I would never have another van without AC.
If you already have your system disassembled comparing the new accumulator will be easy take the old one with you and make sure they match in all aspects. I made this same mistake.

I don't know if there's a suitable in-line filter you can add but I've been advised by my mechanics its not necessary to change the old one unless the compressor has failed. IF you're changing everything else including the hose sets you should be fine. It doesn't hurt to change it if something that fits can be found----I didn't have the luxury of parts running during the install though.

I'm completely with ya on having A/C---these days there's no reason to not have it and keep in in top condition too!

Here's to cooler days ahead!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM
avenge
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
If you already have your system disassembled comparing the new accumulator will be easy take the old one with you and make sure they match in all aspects. I made this same mistake.

I don't know if there's a suitable in-line filter you can add but I've been advised by my mechanics its not necessary to change the old one unless the compressor has failed. IF you're changing everything else including the hose sets you should be fine. It doesn't hurt to change it if something that fits can be found----I didn't have the luxury of parts running during the install though.

I'm completely with ya on having A/C---these days there's no reason to not have it and keep in in top condition too!

Here's to cooler days ahead!
No it's not apart yet, trying to figure out when to take off work and schedule with a friend who is going to vac and charge it for me. I probably won't have a spare car available either my daughter wrecked my spare/project car and the others won't be available either.

This is what Ford has for an inline filter:YF2575: A/C Inline Filter Kit. TSB #98-12-5. HVAC, Filters - Ignition/Filter Filters/PCV - Ford Motorcraft. YF-2575, YF2575, F8VZ-19E773-AB, F8VZ19E773AB.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
That filter is a new one on me---but then again I'm not an A/C mechanic at all!

It can't hurt to install it though---the price is right. Does your friend who'll do the evac and charge have any suggestions about its use?

FWIW this morning temps are right at 36*, heading all the way to 63* for a high---won't need my A/C just yet................!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM
avenge
Senior User
The filter is insurance if you don't replace the condenser after a compressor replacement to catch any debris so it doesn't screw up the new compressor.

My buddy isn't an expert on auto AC he works on commercial refrigeration.

Ya it was way above normal here and now it's back to normal with highs in the 60's. Glad it happened that way now hopefully I'll be ready when the high temps and humidity return.