6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

06 6.0 doesn't start suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneLaw1
Not sure if this is really relevant but I thought I might mention it here because I have never really had this happen. After an unseasonably cold evening in Atlanta last night (50s) an hour ago with a good "cold" engine I chose to try to start the truck see what would happen. I let the glow plugs do what it is that they do and cranked it. The truck started almost IMMEDIATELY! There almost no "build period" as it started with a second or two. WT was at about 57 when I tried to start....does this have any relevance here?
From post #7 above.

Originally Posted by bpounds
Leaks in the HPO system can come and go. The problem is temperature sensitive, but that is not the only issue. O-ring seals squirm around in the seat more than you might think under the high pressures seen in this system. This results in erosion of the seals. I've seen them with big grooves worn in them. But because they squirm around, sometimes they leak, next time they don't.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Leaks in the HPO system can come and go. The problem is temperature sensitive, but that is not the only issue. O-ring seals squirm around in the seat more than you might think under the high pressures seen in this system. This results in erosion of the seals. I've seen them with big grooves worn in them. But because they squirm around, sometimes they leak, next time they don't.
Very well put Bill

Gene Intermittened problems suck they can be some of the worst to figure out Especialy Electrical issues

Worst case senerio here if it Bugs you too bad IMO its pretty safe to say Low ICP points to the HPO System so being you have an 06 its pretty safe to say you will need STC Fitting and standpipes and dummey plugs sooner or later so you could change them and you will be ontop of the Game those kinda seem to go out between 60-80K miles. And maybe you have already addressed some of those IDK throwing it out there. the above mentioned parts are not IF but WHEN will they go

If it was ICP or IPR those failing would be more Constant problem IMO I could be wrong as things dont always Fail the same way. But if it did turn out to be ICP sensor If you can change a Light Bulb you can change your ICP sensor.
Now the IPR is a diffrent storey here just alittle harder to get at but the right tools make all the diffrence in the world

Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Very well put Bill

Gene Intermittened problems suck they can be some of the worst to figure out Especialy Electrical issues

Worst case senerio here if it Bugs you too bad IMO its pretty safe to say Low ICP points to the HPO System so being you have an 06 its pretty safe to say you will need STC Fitting and standpipes and dummey plugs sooner or later so you could change them and you will be ontop of the Game those kinda seem to go out between 60-80K miles. And maybe you have already addressed some of those IDK throwing it out there. the above mentioned parts are not IF but WHEN will they go

If it was ICP or IPR those failing would be more Constant problem IMO I could be wrong as things dont always Fail the same way. But if it did turn out to be ICP sensor If you can change a Light Bulb you can change your ICP sensor.
Now the IPR is a diffrent storey here just alittle harder to get at but the right tools make all the diffrence in the world
Interstingly enough, from what happened to me today, you and Bill are right behind this problem. I went to breakfast this morning and parked on a steep hill, nose down. Came from eating, truck still fairly hot (about 150) and wouldnt start, at all. ICPs were in the 150 - 160 range while starting!! NEver been that low, usually in the 300s at least. My father who was with me suggested rolling it down the hill to level ground...fired it and it started right up.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
Is there some sort of test the dealer can do on the HPO system to determine exactly what it is leaking in there? I want to go in there with some knowledge instead of just saying "find out why it wont start sometime" haha...they will see me coming a mile away

Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Yes, there is a shop air test. Consists of removing the ICP sensor, and using an adapter to connect a compressed air line to pressurize the HPO system. Then using a 12volt source to force the IPR closed. Then listening for leaks on the left, right, and back center. If the leak is big enough, you can hear the air escaping. For smaller leaks it might be necessary to remove valve covers and actually look for the leak path. The smaller leaks tend to be slow-start cases, while the larger leaks tend to be no-start cases.

There is plenty of discussion on all this in the tech folder threads. You can even do the test at home if you want to pick up a few bits and pieces.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
Yes, there is a shop air test. Consists of removing the ICP sensor, and using an adapter to connect a compressed air line to pressurize the HPO system. Then using a 12volt source to force the IPR closed. Then listening for leaks on the left, right, and back center. If the leak is big enough, you can hear the air escaping. For smaller leaks it might be necessary to remove valve covers and actually look for the leak path. The smaller leaks tend to be slow-start cases, while the larger leaks tend to be no-start cases.

There is plenty of discussion on all this in the tech folder threads. You can even do the test at home if you want to pick up a few bits and pieces.
Great info. I have setup an appointment with the local dealer next Wednesday to do their Diag. My hope is they can actually re-create the problem. I am going to give them all the information I have logged and gotten here and see what they come up with.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
Just an update, and to solve the conundrum, the tech has told me he believes it to be the Pump. After doing the leak test, he noticed no air leaks on my HPO system. Also with the symptoms and it being so erractic, says it all points to the HPOP.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Well, if you're asking for opinions - I don't believe it.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
Well, if you're asking for opinions - I don't believe it.
Def not surprising, but as you said earlier to avoid "dancing in the minefield" I am going to just replace everything we spoke of. plugs, STC and the pump, call it a day to the tune of around $1400.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by GeneLaw1
Def not surprising, but as you said earlier to avoid "dancing in the minefield" I am going to just replace everything we spoke of. plugs, STC and the pump, call it a day to the tune of around $1400.
To include the pump, that is a good price.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
To include the pump, that is a good price.
THATS WHAT I SAID! According to him, the pump itself runs around $900. I should be picking it up tomorrow...

Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
makeone3
New User
My 6.0 started surging etc. Code eventually showed up and indicated ICP failure. Also noted that one 6.0 owner said he had replaced his ICP three times in one year. Well three times indicates something else is causing the problem. My 6.0 has the ICP and IPR on the back of the engine is a bear to service. So while I had it apart I replaced both sensors and why not! The Ipr could be leading to a lot of the ICP failures. O by the way my truck is now running great.