Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Callout for an electrical engineer in the group?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Callout for an electrical engineer in the group?

Hey guys. I know this is one smart group of guys, so I figured I'd ask around here first before I go sign up on some electronics forum. It's a fairly simple circuit and a fairly simple question, I just need some help picking resistor size/wattage stuff to attain the required outcome. It's a proportional voltage/current control circuit, but it's a tad more complicated than just a simple series/parallel circuit. It's to control a hydraulic spool to run some functions on my truck mounted boom. I don't want to necessarily OT flood with this thread so if anyone can help, send me a PM and I'll get you the schematic and the description.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talk to F250XLTHD....he has a hydraulic boom on his truck....

Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swooshcmk
Hey guys. I know this is one smart group of guys, so I figured I'd ask around here first before I go sign up on some electronics forum. It's a fairly simple circuit and a fairly simple question, I just need some help picking resistor size/wattage stuff to attain the required outcome. It's a proportional voltage/current control circuit, but it's a tad more complicated than just a simple series/parallel circuit. It's to control a hydraulic spool to run some functions on my truck mounted boom. I don't want to necessarily OT flood with this thread so if anyone can help, send me a PM and I'll get you the schematic and the description.

Thanks guys!
I can say, always get, flameproof, bigger wattage (if the the space is adequate).
As far as the resistance required, well that all depends on the voltage/amperage required.
Sounds like you want to slow things down....on your pump.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hydraulic spool is electrically operated. So you don't interact with a lever on the spool at all, you move a joystick and the change in voltage/current applied to the spool's coil is what moves the spool. I need 5 proportional controls and I refuse to pay 1,000.00 a piece for 10 dollars of electronics lol I have the schematics, I just need 2 resistor values, but I need someone who can look at the schematic and know how to properly calculate their values. I could just buy a ton of resistors and test until I come up with an answer, but I'd rather do the math and get the right one the first time