1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E250 suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 AM
tufdog71
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E250 suspension upgrade

I have an 03 E250 that I run around at about 8,000# daily (service vehicle). I'd like to upgrade the rear suspension. Does anyone have any suggestions.............would E350 springs bolt-in? Would Airbags offer any improvement? Are "helper" springs available (brand/retailer?)?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a heads up, if you are clocking in at 8K, you are PROBABLY over your GVWR by a fair bit. They did make a special order version that could handle 8200lbs GVWR, and this would be indicated on your doorjam.

That said, aftermarket companies make replacement rear springs that can be tuned to your vehicles weight. E250 and E350's of that vintage can interchange their rear springs. For about 350 dollars you can get replacment springs fitted to your rating. You can also tack on airbag kits (airlift comes to mind) that will help support up to 5000lbs, but they are a bit spendy. The ncie thing is they wont make you van ride like crap when its empty. Monroe makes a helper shock that is a coil-over that can be installed on the rear, but I personally question the strength of the shock attachment points when used in such a way. There are also load-helper springs available.

Dont forget the front of your van! Often, the Achilles Heel of the E-series is the GAWR of the front axle.

Search Results | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

A few products are available there to give you an idea of what is available. I do not know anything about that particular vendor, other than i have used their site to give me ideas (usually evil ones!)

Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In '03 FORD advertised 8600 lb GVWR for E250.

Originally Posted by 95e150CW
Just a heads up, if you are clocking in at 8K, you are PROBABLY over your GVWR by a fair bit. They did make a special order version that could handle 8200lbs GVWR, and this would be indicated on your doorjam.
Years ago J.C. Whitney was my place to go for Airbags or "helper" springs. Wonder what they offer these days?

Today I'd be more inclined to find a shop that specializes in springs to help determine if the old springs are shot or simply overloaded. To upgrade they might be able to add a leaf. New E250 springs might be all that's needed.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
In '03 FORD advertised 8600 lb GVWR for E250.
That was the higher payload option (HD). A fair number came in 7,200.

Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Today I'd be more inclined to find a shop that specializes in springs to help determine if the old springs are shot or simply overloaded. To upgrade they might be able to add a leaf. New E250 springs might be all that's needed.
Heh, should have mentioned that. Spring packs can easily be built by specialty shops. Find a good one who can steer you in the right direction. Coil springs are not rebuildable really, but they can be special ordered in a wide variety of ratings.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
When I posted "In '03 FORD advertised 8600 lb GVWR for E250." perhaps I should've qualified it by saying 8600 lbs is the only E250, regular length, GVWR listed by FORD in separate E-Series Wagon & Van sales brochures, except for 7900 lbs GVWR "Available in Recreational Van only"?

Neither of these '03 FORD publications show your figures:

Originally Posted by 95e150CW
They did make a special order version that could handle 8200lbs GVWR

That was the higher payload option (HD). A fair number came in 7,200.
Sorry, but don't see reference to any "special order version" or "higher payload options" either. When FORD published 8600 lbs GVWR they may have been in error, but apparently intended the figure as a standard spec.

Note: The last page of the '03 FORD E-Series Van brochure is devoted to Weight Definitions.

Maybe tufdog71 will post the GVWR figure from his doorjam sticker?

Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...esvan_03bb.pdf

Many fleets got the v6 powered 7,200lb vans for insurance, tax, and depreciation reasons. Most every v6 E-series on the road is a 7200LB van.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
tufdog71
New User
GVWR on my '03 E250 is 8600# according to the driver side door jamb sicker.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
The '03 FORD brochure titled 'E-Series Commercial Vehicles' also shows E250 w/8600 lbs GVWR & fails to mention "the v6 powered 7,200lb vans" or "a special order version that could handle 8200lbs GVWR". Would guess "Many fleets" were sold based on this kind of advertising?

Not trying to comment on "Most every v6 E-series on the road is a 7200LB van." just published specs for '03 E250 van that is topic here.

Now that tufdog71 has posted confirmation "GVWR on my '03 E250 is 8600# according to the driver side door jamb sicker." there's no need to speculate.

Please tell us more about the "special order version...higher payload option" vans? While I appreciate the gov't 8500 lb threshold, why a low 7200 lbs? To beat the numbers FORD recently went the other way, to 8520 lbs.

Did FORD market a stripped, reduced payload, maximum fuel efficiency version? Know what FORD meant by "Recreational Van"?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
95e150CW
Elder User

Page 4 of the builders guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...esvan_03bb.pdf

I mistakenly believed his van to be a 6 cyl. MOST fleet ordered 6 cyls were 7200lbs GVWR. This makes licensing in large commercial fleets easier, especially in states (like tennessee) where license plate fees and taxes are based on GVWR for commercial vehicles. You could special order 6 cyl vans as an 8600 (i was incorrect on the uprated weight number itself).

ALL V8s are 8600 or more.

EITHER WAY, the point is moot. He has an 8600GVWR truck. Back on topic.

Your van may just needs its springs rebuilt, but as was stated earlier, a good spring shop can let you know for sure. They can also custom build and order springs for your van to get you back to being safe and comfortable.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
tufdog71
New User
Thanks for all the input. I am new to the forum and I forget that I should include all relevant info in a post (engine is 5.4L V8).

I will find a spring shop and take the beast in for an evaluation.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Recreational vans were designed to be converted into van conversions or campers. They had standard equipment like power windows and locks, cruise, leather steering wheel covers, lighted makeup mirrors, nice front headliner, stereos set up for 6 speakers, etc. And stuff like chrome bumpers, alloy wheels, etc. The E150 rec vans of the day were 7k GVW. These as E150's were the basis for pretty much all the van conversions of the day. The E250's probably were more likely to end up as camper conversions with raised roofs, etc., and probably were mostly based on the extended length version.

This in contrast to commercial vans which were more often equipped with manual windows and locks, painted bumpers and hubcaps, etc. to be used as cargo carriers or plumber's trucks.

George

Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
What are you seeking to do with this upgrade Tufdog? Increase load carrying capacity or improve handling?

I'm running almost the exact same van, 7800# average loaded as a daily driver work truck. Running Michelin LTX 245-70/R16's @ 70psi, Bilstein shocks all around, replaced front coils and most importantly added a heavy duty Hellwig rear sway bar. I don't haul significantly higher loads or tow anything. These additions/replacements have vastly improved my handling.

Find a good heavy truck spring shop and discuss this with them----locally I can have my rear springs renewed/refreshed for about $300. As along as the main leaf has its proper arch most can reuse it, replacing or adding the smaller sections as needed.

FWIW here's my door jamb sticker showing my chassis:

Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My '85 E350 use to weigh 9000lbs loaded. Has 10 leaf springs per side in the back.

Now that it's empty, the *** end sits up very high

X2 on adding some more springs, or like I have on my F250, Timbren Springs. There like air bags, but there big empty rubber boots.

And as for weight ratings, i've never even looked at that. No idea what's the load capacity of my trucks, don't really care. I just load 'em up as much as I can, or when the frame sits down on the axle. Witch ever comes first.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
i once worked on an f-truck with airbags like john posted, and the frame was cracked around the airbag mounting bolts. i don't know how much it had been abused, but it appears that the frame wan't designed to handle that kind of weight at that exact point. i would upgrade my springs long before adding airbags or similar

Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Great pic for 'E250 suspension upgrade' thread.

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn

And as for weight ratings, i've never even looked at that. No idea what's the load capacity of my trucks, don't really care. I just load 'em up as much as I can, or when the frame sits down on the axle. Witch ever comes first.
No offense, but pic gives the impression: "never even looked at" & "don't really care" about shock absorbers. Of course "when the frame sits down on the axle" who needs shocks? Or leaf springs for that matter? May as well just bolt axle directly to frame & have at it buckboard style?

Frames & suspensions aren't designed just for weight alone. Metal fatigue in vehicles is dynamic. At speed the countless bumps endured by these components can be many times static weight. Think the difference between a 20 oz claw hammer's weight & the effect of impact when it's used. Suspension parts accelerate & get hammered by relatively high G-forces. Springs & shock absorbers are designed to absorb most high energy shocks & distribute greatly reduced force to chassis.

Quick Reply: E250 suspension upgrade