Sponsored by: DP Tuner

need help with no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
gm8888
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with no start

Hello everyone,appreciate you all for all help for others that have promblems,Hopefully someone can shed some light on my issue...Have a 7.3 2003 f250 crew cab with 135,000 miles...Truck has always run great,but went to start this morning and turns over good,but no crank...checked all fuses,battery, fuel bowl is filling up good,wait to start light comes on on dash and goes off in about 6 seconds and all other lights come on as should...No check engine light on....ran good night before,except 1 time,it sputtered a little and idle,,not very noticeable though...Oil level is good also...Could this be a sensor of some sort...Thanks again for any help....Love my ford......Moore

Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
theres people here with a lot more knowledge on these engines than my self. but while your waiting for help, make sure you got your batteries charged fully & connections clean, and atleast 10.5 volts while cranking. these engines can fool you and spin over good but not have enough voltage for the fuel injection sytem to work.also I here cam sensor is a common cause, as well as low fuel pressure from various reasons., could also check your fuses and relays. hope this helps

Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
test the glow plug relay first. its very simple with a test light or meter.one post will have pwr from the batt the other post will pwr when you turn the key on but only be on for a few seconds.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Looks like you've done a little research based on the info you've already provided during your initial post. When you crank the motor, does it sound like it's turning over too fast and not even trying to start? Are you getting any smoke or haze out of the tailpipe? How many seconds at a time do you try to start? How long have you been dealing with this? Have you put the batteries on a charger? (If voltage drops too low, the truck won't start even if you fix the problem.)

Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 AM
gm8888
New User
cranks .but no start

thanks so much for the replys everyone,,,wow you all are quick and very nice,,.as far as the cranking,it sounds like it is spinning normal,certainly nothing abnormal..As it is turning over,nothing coming from tailpipe,and cranking for about 4 to 5 seconds at a time...Never had trouble before,,as this is my daily driver everyday for about 60 miles a day...I will certainly be installing a new cps sensor today...just now read about the recall for this,but of Im stuck in driveway and cant move till I get it going and hopefully that could be it..Will certainly be letting everyone know..but thanks so far for all info....gmoore

Old 03-31-2012, 11:05 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gm8888
thanks so much for the replys everyone,,,wow you all are quick and very nice,,.as far as the cranking,it sounds like it is spinning normal,certainly nothing abnormal..As it is turning over,nothing coming from tailpipe,and cranking for about 4 to 5 seconds at a time...Never had trouble before,,as this is my daily driver everyday for about 60 miles a day...I will certainly be installing a new cps sensor today...just now read about the recall for this,but of Im stuck in driveway and cant move till I get it going and hopefully that could be it..Will certainly be letting everyone know..but thanks so far for all info....gmoore
If the CPS is not the problem you must actually use a VOM to check the voltage WHILE cranking to start. The starter will crank just fine at 10 volts but no start. Under 10.5 volts the IDM will not operate the injector solenoids and no fuel will be injected.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 PM
gm8888
New User
Ok folks,I went to ford dealer and purchased cps sensor ,came home and went under truck to look at cps and I believe harness wasnt making good connection,,,[didnt feel right] cleaned it all up,made sure it was plugged in secure and decided to remove battery cables and clean good...Agood bit of corrosion that I couldnt see was there.and checked voltage again,and it was low...[I would never believe 2 year old batteries were losing life ..Turned them in and got free replacements...So after buying a cps sensor,installing new fuel filter.,cleaning everything fresh fluid all around and feeling like a fool.I am back in business..Thanks all so freaking much for help and reply...gmoore

Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by gm8888
So after buying a cps sensor,installing new fuel filter.,cleaning everything fresh fluid all around and feeling like a fool.I am back in business..Thanks all so freaking much for help and reply...gmoore
Don't feel like a fool, lots of us have been tricked by the good crank/no start low voltage problem. One morning my 97 E350 cranked fine but wouldn't start. I never considered the batteries, because with the gas engines I was used to, if you had enough battery to crank the engine that usually meant you had enough for the ignition and fuel systems. So I had it towed to the stealership, where they charged the batteries and discharged my checking account.

Two days later it did the same thing. I discovered that one battery had a shorted cell, and was discharging the other battery until they were both at around 10V. It was enough to crank, but not to start. Two new batteries and I was good to go. Glad to hear you got yours fixed.

Chris

Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
gm8888
New User
ok new update ...........came out Sunday and truck was back to original symptoms of not starting...The cps that I bought and did not install ,finally got put in and woohoo....fired right up,,sounds great and seems that was my promblem..Just wanted to say GOD bless everyone and thanks a bunch to all for replys...gmoore