Sponsored by: DP Tuner

question or 2??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question or 2??

My 00 f250 would not start at 60 degrees the other morning. I'm thinking glow plugs. But when it starts it romps hard and runs real rough. It will barely get up to 35 mph. Once it gets up to operating temp its like you flipa switch and it smooths out and takes off. Runs good and starts rite up again. Is this from the glow plugs too? I haven't tested them yet but I'm guessing at 234k its probably due for a set.
Next one is when I turn on my parking lights it takes a couple seconds for my dash lights to come on.
Also my dome light doesn't work. The bulb was blown so I put a new one in and it doesn't work at all???

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
possible a bad "main" ground off battery, and for the romps, could it be a sticking EBPV?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Ok. I will check and clean the connections tomorrow. How do I go about the ebpv?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i would say, a quick way is to, after ithe trucks been run'n for awhile, and run'n good, like you say it does, on the bottom of the pedestal ( i know, tight spot), theres a connections. You can unplug it, disabling the system, so then in morning, see what happens. Alot of members, including myself, since not living in cold climates, need to worry about this function. So, we "gut" the pedestal, and leave that connector, unplugged, along with "gutting" the EBPV thats located on exhuast side of turbo outlet.

Also, have you tried synthetic 5w/40 oil yet?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Ok. Ill do that after work so I can check it in the morning. If its the problem will it stop the romping?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
As far as the oil. I just got the truck saturday so I haven't done anything to it yet.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcaughhorn
My 00 f250 would not start at 60 degrees the other morning. I'm thinking glow plugs. But when it starts it romps hard and runs real rough. It will barely get up to 35 mph. Once it gets up to operating temp its like you flipa switch and it smooths out and takes off. Runs good and starts rite up again. Is this from the glow plugs too? I haven't tested them yet but I'm guessing at 234k its probably due for a set.
Next one is when I turn on my parking lights it takes a couple seconds for my dash lights to come on.
Also my dome light doesn't work. The bulb was blown so I put a new one in and it doesn't work at all???
Classic bad/sticking/weak injector for the running issue. Most likely GP related for the start.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
At 60 degrees the EBPV shouldn't close let alone stick. If it is not going into high idle I further doubt that the EBPV is closing.

First thing to do is change that oil. Might not even be diesel rated and could be a single viscosity. Who knows? You should use
a 15-40 dino or 5-40 synthetic. Your choice, but if you are in a cold climate when winter approaches I'd recommend 5-40 syn.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
I'm way down in south Al. Not cold around here.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kawcrasher
Classic bad/sticking/weak injector for the running issue. Most likely GP related for the start.
I wondered about a injector but I'm far from an expert on these.
So the injector will make it run bad until it warms up then it will smooth out?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I'm way down in south Al. Not cold around here.

You need to use a multi-vis oil no matter what the temps.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a 2001 that does that bcaughorn. Rough running when first cranked, very little power when trying to drive when engine is cold. If u drive it without warming it up, it will all of sudden burp smoke and then run like it should. It is not like the ebpv does when it is engaged. I think it is an injector or two too but i have not had them tested yet if there is somewhere to do it near here. I have already ruled out the compression, glow plugs, and replaced gpr.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:21 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Is there a way to test the injectors? That a simple redneck can do?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
ok just got home and since i have a little day light left i looked at the truck. first was the gpr. when i put the test light on the post i got no pwr. all 3 other post had pwr but when i hit the pwr side the wire moved. so i tightened it up. now the gp side is getting pwr. next i checked my batt connections. the gnd on the pass side batt was not even hand tight. so i tightened it and started the truck. it ran rough for a minute then cleared up. i havent taken it down the road yet. ill probably wait till morning for that.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
ok just got home and since i have a little day light left i looked at the truck. first was the gpr. when i put the test light on the post i got no pwr. all 3 other post had pwr but when i hit the pwr side the wire moved. so i tightened it up. now the gp side is getting pwr. next i checked my batt connections. the gnd on the pass side batt was not even hand tight. so i tightened it and started the truck. it ran rough for a minute then cleared up. i havent taken it down the road yet. ill probably wait till morning for that.
Good for you. It's the basics that need to be covered first.

Even on a sixty degree day the GPs are useful. The GPR should operate whenever the oil temp is below 131 degrees. It's not egineered that way for no reason.

Did it romp (shake) on first start or just run rough?

You should still change the oil so you know the right stuff is in there.

Quick Reply: question or 2??