6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bucking when going slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucking when going slow

Have just about 1,600 miles on tuck born on 12/14/11. Love it, but..

When going slow in subdivision I am getting some hesitation/bucking when going in the upper 20s/lower 30s. When I feel it I look down and I am usually in 3rd.

Is this the transmissible thing? When it happened Sunday it felt like it was going to die. If I start off with a quicker start (to get to highway speed) it shifts fine.

Any thoughts? It just started the last few weekends......

Old 03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Mine has always been like that....

When driving (almost any speed):
-If I roll on the throttle;instead of down shifting it just bucks like crazy and makes a slapping sound from the trans.
-If I get hard on the throttle it down shifts a couple of gears and takes off like a rocket.

No in between.

BUT, I am lacking a transmission TSB that replaces some solenoids etc...so maybe it's just me.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

With my build date of 12/14/11 I should be up to date with all that stuff?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by jack_pine
With my build date of 12/14/11 I should be up to date with all that stuff?
Yes, I believe the TSB is only for Job 1 2011's so you should be good to go.

IMHO, (and likely in the name of fuel economy) the trans is always in at least one or 2 gears too high for driving around town / driving slow. I believe that is why mine alwasy feels sluggish and bucks when driving slow.

To test my theory, try driving in T/H, it should go away. But then you are stuck with those nasty hard down shift that smack your forehead into the windshield

Thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

I'll give that a shot. Problem is it does not seem to do it every time and not sure if I can reproduce it at will for the dealer................

Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

I'll give that a shot. Problem is it does not seem to do it every time and not sure if I can reproduce it at will for the dealer................
I think that's why you can't reproduce it at will....becuase it depends on what gear you are in at what speed, at what RPM AND how much you push the go pedal down. Keep practicing

Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Really, only Darren?

When this happens and you press the pedal it stutters. I am not sure it is a transmission issue or something else. When it comes out of it it drives fine. It's only on slow accelerations to a slow spped (like in a 30 mph zone)

Guess I should stay out of those.

I am tempted to ask the dealer to reset the adaptive learning thing. Will they do that by just me asking?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 PM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really, only Darren?

When this happens and you press the pedal it stutters. I am not sure it is a transmission issue or something else. When it comes out of it it drives fine. It's only on slow accelerations to a slow spped (like in a 30 mph zone)

I am tempted to ask the dealer to reset the adaptive learning thing. Will they do that by just me asking?
For what it's worth, I have never experienced the hesitation thing. The pedal feels smooth and the engine has a full range of acceleration and rpm. There is nothing "touchy" about the accelerator.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by los341
For what it's worth, I have never experienced the hesitation thing. The pedal feels smooth and the engine has a full range of acceleration and rpm. There is nothing "touchy" about the accelerator.
How many miles?

One other note, I smell the burnt smell when I got out so I think it was doing a regen. Don't know if that was a factor or not..................

Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles?

One other note, I smell the burnt smell when I got out so I think it was doing a regen. Don't know if that was a factor or not..................
2400 miles. No hesitation, no bucking, no 49mph death wobble, HPFP works great. I can't complain!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
garbenn
Junior User
Really, only Darren?

Mine does the same. Usually durring the first time in the morning i'm leaving the driveway under slow acceleration, seems to be an engine issue. After the first mile it seems to disappear. Stopped at the dealer to check if there was any issues being brought up by owners or ary recalls or service bulletins. They check while I watched and the service manger couldn't find anything. SO, if anyone comes up with any information on this annoying problem, please let me know. O ya. 18000 miles on it.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
stro1965
Junior User
Originally Posted by garbenn
Mine does the same. Usually durring the first time in the morning i'm leaving the driveway under slow acceleration, seems to be an engine issue. After the first mile it seems to disappear. Stopped at the dealer to check if there was any issues being brought up by owners or ary recalls or service bulletins. They check while I watched and the service manger couldn't find anything. SO, if anyone comes up with any information on this annoying problem, please let me know. O ya. 18000 miles on it.
Mine too, I think it's just cold blooded, clears up within a mile.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Really, only Darren?

You can reset the learning process yourself by disconnecting the batteries. I did it once last year. I disconnected both batteries overnight (wasn't sure how long it took). No issues at all from doing it. My shifting did seem much better for a while, then it went back to rough shifting. A couple of months later the TSB came out and I had that done. It's been, for the most part, great since then.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Driving slower in town or when the engine is cold and I take it easy on it, my truck does the same thing, hard shifts, seems like the truck isn't sure of what gear to be in. Even coming into town slowing down 6th to 5th it shifts really werid and the shudders. When I drive it harder it seems to shift way better. My truck also does the horrible shifts from 2nd to 3rd, seems worse when its cold.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
garbenn
Junior User
The problem I'm incountering is not transmitiom shift, but a stutter under slow acceleration like the engine is miss-firing

Quick Reply: Bucking when going slow