6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bucking when going slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 PM
bit_bucket
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was built in April 2011 - trying to find Job Number - and does the same thing. When I took it in for the first oil change I didn't say anything about it, hoping maybe it would come out clear of this issue. No love. But my driver's door seatbelt rattle is gone!

Been planning on taking it back for this specific "bucking" issue. Seems to really only happen until engine is up to normal operating temperature and the colder it is the worse it is.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by garbenn
Mine does the same. Usually durring the first time in the morning i'm leaving the driveway under slow acceleration, seems to be an engine issue. After the first mile it seems to disappear.
DITTO with 12,000 miles.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

I have had it happen then. Also when I go to local store, close and slow drive. Even after I come out of store on the way home. Guess common point is not warmed up. Also feels like engine, not transmission to me..........

It starts stuttering, I give it a little more pedal, nothing, back off and then go and it's ok.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Originally Posted by jack_pine
Really, only Darren?

When this happens and you press the pedal it stutters. I am not sure it is a transmission issue or something else. When it comes out of it it drives fine. It's only on slow accelerations to a slow spped (like in a 30 mph zone)

Guess I should stay out of those.

I am tempted to ask the dealer to reset the adaptive learning thing. Will they do that by just me asking?
I also noticed the rough running (not shifting) and also when you press the pedal it hesitates unless you really push it then it off to the races. And it does seem to be before it is warmed up (175 degrees or so and it clears up) so I attributed it to being cold.

But I agree somewhat annoying. and was curious about resetting the adaptive tables as I kind of babied it the first 900 miles or so. @1600 now.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my build date is 6/2011. I only notice my truck "buck" when I press on the go pedal as if i'm about to accelerate somewhat aggressively but then immediately get off the pedal completely, and then press the pedal modestly. The truck still thinks in needs to downshift to accelerate, but seems to change its mind during the process and causing a hard shift 'buck'.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 AM
throwdown
Senior User
My truck does the same thing. Build date....9/11, 13,000 miles. Ford says all flashes are up to date.
It also "sits down" between 1-2 and 2-3 when shifting.
The only other thing I've noticed is once when in cruise mode at about 80kph, I started up a slight incline and the thing started bucking like it wanted to downshift. I pushed the throttle and it quit. I haven't noticed that problem again since.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
By "sits down," do you mean it acts like you pulled your foot from the throttle then continued a second later?
Mine "cuts out" shifting into 3rd after a cold start but it's not the shifting issue I used to have.
This is an engine stumble. No bucking though.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
throwdown
Senior User
Yes, that describes it. I have felt that engine stumble as well.
I knew every tick and tumble of my '01, 7.3. I drove it for eleven years from new. I hope I have much the same luck as that.
Of course I did have quite a few mods on it too.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Ford says it is normal
Had engineers all over my truck and all is normal

Mine has done this sense new just live with it only does it once in a while
Don't let the keep flashing it

Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM
lundman
Senior User
unknown problems

Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman
Ford says it is normal
Had engineers all over my truck and all is normal

Mine has done this sense new just live with it only does it once in a while
Don't let the keep flashing it
================================================

That is what Ford says when they can't figure out what the problem is. Except for the time they couldn't fix my radio and after several visits and hours at the different dealerships, they responded with "We give up!" "We don't know what the problem is?"

Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 AM
throwdown
Senior User
Continuing this nonsense.........while attempting to pull onto a busy hwy (truck at operating temp), I mashed the throttle and pulled into traffic..........and there I sat. I know it was no more than a few seconds, however, when entering traffic, maintaining the flow is very important. It's a crappy feeling not knowing if others can avoid the idiot that pulled out and almost stopped in traffic.
Unlearning years of driving habits and old faithful vehicles will take some time. It's hard to believe that this is "business as usual" for these trucks.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's scary if u happen to bump the brake pedal when u need to pull out and go quickly. Stupid safety thing where u can't go when the brake pedal has been touched. I really don't like the drive by wire system we have, but there's nothing we can do about it unless we get tuners.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM
throwdown
Senior User
I did not know that. I will have to pay more attention. Big feet you now.
It will take some getting use to for sure (DBW).

Old 12-23-2012, 12:13 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by throwdown
Continuing this nonsense.........while attempting to pull onto a busy hwy (truck at operating temp), I mashed the throttle and pulled into traffic..........and there I sat. I know it was no more than a few seconds, however, when entering traffic, maintaining the flow is very important. It's a crappy feeling not knowing if others can avoid the idiot that pulled out and almost stopped in traffic.
Unlearning years of driving habits and old faithful vehicles will take some time. It's hard to believe that this is "business as usual" for these trucks.
I did the same thing a while back, foot on the brake to slow down for the ramp, then slammed the go pedal too quick, while trying to pull out into three lanes of traffic. Dealer told me if i go from the brake to accelerator too quick it will cause this. Pretty annoying.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 PM
throwdown
Senior User
This paying attention and learning is going to be the death of me yet.

Quick Reply: Bucking when going slow