1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Old 12-20-2014, 02:26 PM
03FX4nPDX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repaired rather than Replace FB

Just a follow up. My board was salvageable, so rather then spend $300 to replace the entire Fuse/junction box, I ended up ordering a new FP relay from Digikey for ~$7.00 shipped. I couldn't find a F8VF-BA relay used from the factory and found other folks have used a different replacement. The one I used was a Digikey Z2696-ND part number for a Omron G8QN-IC4 12V 30A SPDT. Most difficult part was removing the old relay. I used solder-wick, but a Solder-sucker would have been much easier. Soldered the new relay in and all is well. Maybe 90 minutes total time from battery disconnect to reconnect.

Steve

Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 PM
alloro
Received 4,174 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Originally Posted by 03FX4nPDX
Maybe 90 minutes total time from battery disconnect to reconnect.
That's probably the best 300 bucks you ever paid yourself.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Erglow62
New User
help please..!!

So, I had the same problem of no fuel. I ordered another fuse box, but not a New one, from eBay. After I replaced it and put all the fuses and relays in place I connected the battery again and a buzzing noise started. I check it out And it's relay #203. No matter what relay I replace it with it keeps buzzing! There is no odometer/temperature on dash, just dashes along with no alarm, power locks. I can't figure it out And it's driving me crazy! Someone please help add to what it is..? I want to be able to return the fuse box if that's the problem. Thanks guys!!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:11 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Erglow62
So, I had the same problem of no fuel.
Year, make, model?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Erglow62
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
Year, make, model?
2003 Expedition 2wd 4.6

Old 01-23-2015, 02:33 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Erglow62
2003 Expedition 2wd 4.6
I would start by unplugging the connector from the inertial/fuel pump shut-off switch. If the relay buzzing goes away then the fuel pump motor is likely shorted.

The fuel pump shut-off switch is located in the left rear quarter trim panel, near the liftgate. The switch is located behind two access panels; the second panel has a tab that needs to be pushed down to remove the access panel door.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Erglow62
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
I would start by unplugging the connector from the inertial/fuel pump shut-off switch. If the relay buzzing goes away then the fuel pump motor is likely shorted.

The fuel pump shut-off switch is located in the left rear quarter trim panel, near the liftgate. The switch is located behind two access panels; the second panel has a tab that needs to be pushed down to remove the access panel door.
There is power to the fuel pump and the fuel pump is New as well. The buzzing is with no key or accessory power turned on either

Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I envy your ingenuity. I bought a 03 Lincoln Navigator from an auction (sight unseen) and when I went to pick it up the air suspension was inop along with many power accessories so I trailered it to stealership (before I read this thread) and expected a long list of problems/solutions. He told me the central junction box was bad so when I said Huh he then said fuse box. I got one for about 300 after price matching and low and behold most of the 4 out of 5 functions were back online. The air suspension just needed a compressor relay and door switch to get going also. I am amazed that this was such a common problem and caused so many issues. I think I will learn how to solder for future uses.

Originally Posted by 03FX4nPDX
Just a follow up. My board was salvageable, so rather then spend $300 to replace the entire Fuse/junction box, I ended up ordering a new FP relay from Digikey for ~$7.00 shipped. I couldn't find a F8VF-BA relay used from the factory and found other folks have used a different replacement. The one I used was a Digikey Z2996-ND part number for a Omron G8QN-IC4 12V 30A SPDT. Most difficult part was removing the old relay. I used solder-wick, but a Solder-sucker would have been much easier. Soldered the new relay in and all is well. Maybe 90 minutes total time from battery disconnect to reconnect.

Steve

Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 PM
alanna
New User
I need instructions for dummies

I am replacing my fuse box in 04 navigator how to I disconnect it to replace with new one

Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When did they fix the design flaw on the fuse box? I have an '05 EB 4x4, worried that I may have this issue one day.... Is there anything preventive one may do to prevent this issue from happening?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:56 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by alanna
I am replacing my fuse box in 04 navigator how to I disconnect it to replace with new one
Unplug the connectors

Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM
99Exp
Senior User
Originally Posted by alanna

Just did this Thursday night in our 03 Eddie Bauer Exp. First, disconnect the battery, then pull the passenger kick panel cover off. Then pull up pass door sill plate. Take the rubber gasket for the door at the bottom front corner closest to the fuse box away some. Remove the rest of the kick panel plastic. The edge of the fuse box closest to the front of the vehicle is where the power feed comes into the fuse box, there is a plastic cover over it which is an SOB to get off, you will need to basically shove your head into the footwell to see it. Take that cover off and then remove the nut (11mm I think). Once that nut is removed, pull the power feed cable off the stud, now start pulling all the connectors off the fuse box. Each one has a tab that has to be pushed in before pulling out the connector. There will be one that is different, it doesn't have the tab to push in, there is basically a loop at the top of the connector and you will pull it up towards the glovebox until it release and you can pull the connector off. Now move around, to the ones at the door edge, again they have the tabs. Now on that edge, you will see a nut (I believe it is 10mm) take this nut off and be careful not to loose it. Once the nut is off, take the fuse box and almost like opening a book, you will swing that edge towards the console of the vehicle, it will fight you some. After you have moved it towards the console about 4-5 inches, wiggle it some and pull it back towards the seat, there are two small fingers on the opposite side of the fuse box that have to come out of their holes to move the fuse box away from the kick panel area. At this point, you should see more connectors on the back of it, after disconnecting them you should be able to pull out the fuse box. I am assuming you already have the new one to install. It would be a good idea to look at the cover that goes over the main power feed so you understand how it releases as it will be hard to see with your head up under the dash. Also, look at the edge where the fingers are that fit into the metal of the kick panel area that holds the box in, it is hard to see to put those back in the hole when you install the fuse box. I did my swap in about 30 minutes. I am assuming you have the same troubles that I had with the vehicle shutting off? I am finding that you most likely have a burnt fuel pump relay located inside of there. I just took my old one apart and verfied the relay was burnt. Good luck!!!! If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:21 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Oshi, I have an 03 EB Expy and I hope to never run into this issue. Besides a few little things like switch LEDs being burnt out and the **** plastic gear rear blend HVAC boxes I have had no issues at all besides routine maintenance stuffs.

Subscribing and hopefully don't have to deal with a blown up fuse box...

Old 06-15-2015, 04:05 PM
mikeavery
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix for fuse box problem

i had the same problem but I fixed it by replacing the so called non serviceable relays. If anyone needs me to do this for them to send me an email. Eclipsepro2000@yahoo.com

Old 06-15-2015, 07:54 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by mikeavery
i had the same problem but I fixed it by replacing the so called non serviceable relays. If anyone needs me to do this for them to send me an email. Eclipsepro2000@yahoo.com
Can't you post the steps here for anyone that needs them to see?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition