Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator
Reload this Page >

Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Strider007
New User
Strider007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Colin Moore View Post
I finally got fed up of driving my wife's expedition pimped in leopard, because she would not trust it. It would still cut out, sometimes within a few minutes, other times a week or so apart. I decided to take a leap of faith a few days ago, found the fuse box for $290 at gaudinford.com incl shipping - switched it out myself Monday with the instructions posted above. It did take me about an hour or so, wanted to be sure not to break any wires with the numerous connections from every angle. So far so good!!!! Wish me luck.
A special THANK YOU to Strider007.
Nice! Please be sure to report back after a few days or weeks, and let us know how it's behaving.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:36 PM
matthew87
New User
matthew87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Strider - my 03 Expedition has been cutting out for a week. Once in 12 miles it cut out 12 times, but always started back up. After a few days it starting throwing charging system issues at me and a couple days ago died and wouldn't start. I had it jumped and got home, but none of my gauges were working. Anyways, I checked for a faulty alternator wire touching the A/C but that was ok so I removed the fuse box. I do not see any damage to the circuit board.

So my question I guess is... did you see any damage? You cannot replace the fuel pump relay as it is one of the 5 that are attached to the circuit board. I cannot really afford to shell out 300$ if in fact mine is ok. I'm at 150,000 miles though and this seems like a very common problem. I've only seen 1 picture of the board online and it showed a melted relay. Wonder what yours or anyone else's looks like.

Thanks for the post btw!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Colin Moore
New User
Colin Moore is starting off with a positive reputation.
I could not see anything visually obvious. I did post a few weeks after replacing it that the same issue came back, and I replaced the fuel pump assembly. That has worked great until yesterday, when it cut out again for my wife. Starts straight back up and it drove fine today on short journeys. I am wondering if there was anything wrong with the original circuit board in the first place. I have kept it, so if you want to just pay for postage, I am happy to help out if you want to give it a try. Your issues went much further by the sound of it, and mine never threw out any codes that were displayed.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM
matthew87
New User
Colin - that's very generous. I put back the fusebox and am going to try a few other things. I honestly didn't even check the fusebox since I read so many posts about the faulty boxes anyways. If in fact I come to the conclusion I should try board in the box I'll send you a PM! Really appreciate the offer, means a lot.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM
mayor
Senior User
mayor is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could only see the damage on her 04EB with the fuse box out. The non removable relays are on the backside of the fuse box / circuit board. It was a Ford Ranger forum that I found the procedure to jump past the burnt relay so the fuel pump would run and the engine would start.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:55 AM
matthew87
New User
Well the fusebox ended up being ok. Just finished swapping a new alternator in there and it fired up but I have yet to drive into town. At oreillys the alternator failed on diodes and the regulator. I'm assuming it was just on the fritz which is why it would work for a day or two, stall/restart multiple times, etc.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM
shaness78
New User
shaness78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
your thoughts

So last week a relay hung up making a whining sound on 03EB.I checked relay(it was melted around prongs)soreplaced with new,but today it happened again. Wondering if its old style pannel or maybe a short some where in wiring? Did you ever have melted relay trouble?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Hamfisted
Senior User
Hamfisted is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by shaness78 View Post
So last week a relay hung up making a whining sound on 03EB.I checked relay(it was melted around prongs)soreplaced with new,but today it happened again. Wondering if its old style pannel or maybe a short some where in wiring? Did you ever have melted relay trouble?
Shane do you remember which relay was melted? Was it the small top right relay?

-Mike

Old 02-22-2014, 10:25 AM
sns2832
New User
sns2832 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Hamfisted View Post
Shane do you remember which relay was melted? Was it the small top right relay?

-Mike
I am having same problem with my 03 expedition. After several times on the vehicle stopping and then starting back up fine. I looked at fuse box, The starter relay fuse was melted out. I got a new one from the dealership and replace it. The truck started right up and went a week or two with no problems. Today it stalled out on me several times while driving. I looked at fuse again and it looks like where the fuse goes might be burnt out. Do I need tip have the whole fuse box replace our is something else causing the problem?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:26 PM
shaness78
New User
shaness78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes...seems to be power relay

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Hamfisted
Senior User
Hamfisted is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by shaness78 View Post
Yes...seems to be power relay

Yeah, it's the whole fuse box then. Its not too bad to change out. Just plug and play with the harnesses. Remember to disconnect the battery before you begin.

-Mike

See if you see any melt damage in your fuse box where the white circle is, that's a sure sign....
The micro relays in the replacement fuse box are a different manufacture's part number. I'm not sure if they're heavier duty or not. Time will tell....

Name:  ExpyFuseboxComparisonoldandnew_zps9025e0e8.jpg
Views: 3527
Size:  60.6 KB

New one on the left 3rd revision of the fuse box. One on the right is the original...
Name:  ExpyFuseboxPartNumberTags_zps5cd295a0.jpg
Views: 3177
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 12-14-2014, 07:29 PM
03FX4nPDX
New User
03FX4nPDX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Difference in 3L1Z vs. 3L7Z

I'm having the same stalling issues as many here on my 03 Expy FX4. I took the fuse box out and verified that the board and FP relay is smoked. (Thanks to all who shared info on this).

The issue I'm having is that my existing part is labeled "3L7T-14A067-AB" vs. "2L1T...." or "3L1T...." as in the post above. I'm assuming the "7" in the number means its different, and I've have found the replacement part "3L7Z-14A068-AB" is referred to in at least one factory reference (listed below) as a Expedition and Navigator part for post 2/3/2003 builds (which mine is). The confusing part is all the part sites I visit seem to indicate that the "3L7Z" is a Navigator only part. When I enter my VIN, all the Ford part sites give me "3L1Z-14A068-AA" as the correct replacement.

When I look at the picture posted above of the "2L1Z-14A068-AA" and "3L1Z-14A068-AA" parts, they both have one more fuse than my box (#9 is blank on mine). I found a picture of the "3L7Z-14A068-AB" on Tasca and it appears to match my number of fuses.

Basically, I'm not sure what replacement fuse box to order as I'm not sure if it will matter to put a box with extra fuse is as the Ford Parts site indicate, or whether I should stick with a "3L7Z" box noted as a Navigator box. The owners manual says #9 fuse us unused so it's confusing to me as to why it's even on the "3L1Z" replacement part.

Does anyone know the difference and can offer any guidance?

Thanks

Steve

"16977 2003 EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR - CRANK/NO START - NO DTC'S
SOME 2003 EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 5/31/2003 MAY EXHIBIT AN INTERMITTENT CRANK, NO START CONDITION WITH NO ASSOCIATED DTC'S IN THE PCM. THESE VEHICLES MAY ALSO, BUT NOT NECESSARILY, EXHIBIT A LOSS OF COMMUNICATION WITH THE PCM. CHECK FOR INTERMITTENT LOSS OF CONTACT BETWEEN THE PCM POWER RELAY AND THE CENTRAL JUNCTION BOX (CJB) THAT RESULTS FROM MINOR HEAT DAMAGE AT THE INTERFACE OF THE RELAY AND TERMINAL IN THE CJB. TO DIAGNOSE, REMOVE THE PCM POWER RELAY FROM THE CJB AND CHECK THE PLASTIC AROUND THE RELAY BLADES FOR HEAT DAMAGE. IF DAMAGE IS EVIDENT, REPLACE THE CJB WITH SERVICE PART NUMBER 3L1Z-14A068-AA (VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 02/03/2003) OR 3L7Z-14A068-AB (VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 02/03/2003). BEFORE INSTALLING THE CJB, CHECK THE ACCOMPANYING RELAYS TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE BLACK IN COLOR.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 07/17/2003 "

Old 12-14-2014, 09:23 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Match the existing one. For many reason that will never be shared with us, manufacturers interchange parts from different models on the fly during production. My first Expedition had the light go out in the power mirror switch. The one specified at the dealer didn't have a light in the switch. The part number on my existing switch referenced back to only being for a Navigator. So go figure!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 AM
03FX4nPDX
New User
03FX4nPDX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Alloro.

I'm definitely trying to match. So do you think I'm safe assuming that when my existing part say "3L7T-14A067-AB" that it's the 3L7Z-14A068-AB replacement (given the factory notice and the above posts where the picture of the box labeled "3L1T-14A067-AA" was a 3L1Z-14A068-AA replacement)? Not that I'm holding anyone to anything, I just don't know Ford Part number schemes and want to have a good chance of getting the right one.......

Thanks

Steve

Old 12-15-2014, 11:41 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 03FX4nPDX View Post
I'm definitely trying to match. So do you think I'm safe assuming
I wish I had the answer for you, but who knows if that part number has been superseded more than once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.