Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator
Reload this Page >

Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Help - Fuse Box Replacement - 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM
broncoholic
Elder User
broncoholic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 03FX4nPDX View Post
Just a follow up. My board was salvageable, so rather then spend $300 to replace the entire Fuse/junction box, I ended up ordering a new FP relay from Digikey for ~$7.00 shipped. I couldn't find a F8VF-BA relay used from the factory and found other folks have used a different replacement. The one I used was a Digikey Z2996-ND part number for a Omron G8QN-IC4 12V 30A SPDT. Most difficult part was removing the old relay. I used solder-wick, but a Solder-sucker would have been much easier. Soldered the new relay in and all is well. Maybe 90 minutes total time from battery disconnect to reconnect.

Steve
How has the replacement relay worked out? I'll be troubleshooting a random stall this weekend and am gathering info on potential repairs.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM
bigdonward
New User
bigdonward is starting off with a positive reputation.
On Strider's original instructions, very good except #7 is not a ground wire but the +12VDC cable going straight to the battery. And the internal relays can be replaced if the PC board is good but they're soldered in so you need a solder sucker and soldering iron. There's a guy on Ebay selling the replacement relay for $20. Can't find them anywhere else. But $20 beats $400 for a new fuse box and $700 or more for the dealer. It's not too hard to get it out.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:53 PM
broncoholic
Elder User
I ended up replacing my relay also. Documented here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dom-stall.html

So far, no issues.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:14 AM
954fella
New User
954fella is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation Doing the same work in my 05 Navigator

My fuse box caught on fire due to a leak from the Sunroof, Yes the Sunroof. I found out that I have a bad weather stripping on the sunroof that cause a run down of rain water on both sides of the front doors. And guess where the fuse boxes is?!! Yep on the side of the passenger doors right where the water falls from.. So now I need to replace the fuse box in order to repair the weather strip on the sunroof.

So if any of you have a sunroof, make sure you have no leaks up there if you do fix it fast or you could be looking at a costly problem down the road.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 AM
broncoholic
Elder User
Originally Posted by 954fella View Post
My fuse box caught on fire due to a leak from the Sunroof, Yes the Sunroof. I found out that I have a bad weather stripping on the sunroof that cause a run down of rain water on both sides of the front doors. And guess where the fuse boxes is?!! Yep on the side of the passenger doors right where the water falls from.. So now I need to replace the fuse box in order to repair the weather strip on the sunroof.

So if any of you have a sunroof, make sure you have no leaks up there if you do fix it fast or you could be looking at a costly problem down the road.
The sunroof will always leak, that's why there are drain tubes. You need to make sure those aren't clogged. I've had to clean out the tubes in our 2003 twice in the 12 years we've owned it.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Dorzok
New User
Dorzok is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Erglow62 View Post
So, I had the same problem of no fuel. I ordered another fuse box, but not a New one, from eBay. After I replaced it and put all the fuses and relays in place I connected the battery again and a buzzing noise started. I check it out And it's relay #203. No matter what relay I replace it with it keeps buzzing! There is no odometer/temperature on dash, just dashes along with no alarm, power locks. I can't figure it out And it's driving me crazy! Someone please help add to what it is..? I want to be able to return the fuse box if that's the problem. Thanks guys!!
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
I would start by unplugging the connector from the inertial/fuel pump shut-off switch. If the relay buzzing goes away then the fuel pump motor is likely shorted.

The fuel pump shut-off switch is located in the left rear quarter trim panel, near the liftgate. The switch is located behind two access panels; the second panel has a tab that needs to be pushed down to remove the access panel door.
hopefully someone still paying attention to this thread.
same problem except 5.4 and i soldered in a new FP relay. put it all back together, turn on the key, relay hums, and all the check lights stay on and i have no odo/outside temp and engine don't crank. when i try to start i get nothing. return the key to on position and i get a "ding ding."
any ideas?

Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 PM
mikeavery
New User
mikeavery is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford fuse box problems

These are notorious for issues with the fuel pump relay and most likely your used replacement also has the same issues as your original fuse box. I offer a repair service which will get your vehicle back to proper working condition, if you would like me to repair yours you can contact me at [email protected]

Old 10-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Dorzok
New User
Dorzok is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mikeavery View Post
These are notorious for issues with the fuel pump relay and most likely your used replacement also has the same issues as your original fuse box. I offer a repair service which will get your vehicle back to proper working condition, if you would like me to repair yours you can contact me at [email protected]
i didn't replace the board with another used one. i replaced just the R303 relay on the circuit board.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:55 PM
mikeavery
New User
mikeavery is starting off with a positive reputation.
Must have another component that failed as well or a wiring problem on the vehicle side.