Strange tranny problems. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Strange tranny problems.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
modem.over
New User
modem.over is starting off with a positive reputation.
Strange tranny problems.

OK, i have a 99 v10 Super duty. No check engine light or flashing of the OD light. My obd2 scanner shows no codes.

However, the truck always shifts late. worse in lower gears and worse when warmed up. on short road trips its hardly noticeable. once the truck warms up is when it seems to get bad. It does not shift hard or slam into gears. on the highway it is not noticeable at all. when getting on the highway or other times when i am accelerating hard it is perfect. But with a warm truck at low accell with no load just cruising throught my comunity it will rev to over 4000 before it shifts.

Now, for the kicker. When i shift into reverse it starts to idle down very low and almost die. Sometimes it does die. after a few seconds if it doesn't die it idles back up and will reverse with no problem. Also, when i engage Overdrive, it will occasionally die when coming to a stop. Like the tranny is having issues letting go.

Sorry for my first post being a question but i have read and read and goggled for hours on end and just cant figure this one out. No idea if the solenoids are bad, the filters are clogged or the tq is shot. I'm just lost on this one. tranny fluid looks mostly red, smells OK. Bought the truck 2500 miles ago, no idea of the maintenance done on it in the history.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:48 PM
CrewCabLongbox
Senior User
CrewCabLongbox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I actually had a similar issue, but i figured out what it was. When I was shifting into gear it would not always lock perfectly. This would cause the tranny to lock a certain gear, rev extremely high, then finally shift. Check your linkage adjustment, fixed the problem for me anyway.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 PM
modem.over
New User
Originally Posted by CrewCabLongbox View Post
I actually had a similar issue, but i figured out what it was. When I was shifting into gear it would not always lock perfectly. This would cause the tranny to lock a certain gear, rev extremely high, then finally shift. Check your linkage adjustment, fixed the problem for me anyway.

Dude, i didn't even think about that. Totally could be it. When i shift from park to reverse the shift lever actually goes all the way to and touches the steering wheel. So... to loose of a shift linkage ?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
CrewCabLongbox
Senior User
CrewCabLongbox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Could very well be it. I'll give you a basic description of what I did but there are detailed guides on here if you search around.

Take off the kick panel on the drivers side. Then look for the shifter linkage, you should find a black wheel with a white surround, that is your adjustment. Then place the truck in drive (not turned on) and make sure to set your parking brake. Next, put a five or so pound weight on the shift lever, then, turning the wheel, center the indicator on the middle of the D. There you have it!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
All that does is align the pointer, it doesn't actually adjust the shift cable.

Before adjusting anything look under the steering column for two Torx head bolts. They hold the shift tube to the column. It is very common for them to work loose which destroys the adjustment. Tighten those bolts, maybe even add loctite, and you may have fixed it. If not, I'd look at the fuel filter, air filter, and maybe the fuel pump. It does not sound like a trans problem to me.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM
modem.over
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
All that does is align the pointer, it doesn't actually adjust the shift cable.

Before adjusting anything look under the steering column for two Torx head bolts. They hold the shift tube to the column. It is very common for them to work loose which destroys the adjustment. Tighten those bolts, maybe even add loctite, and you may have fixed it. If not, I'd look at the fuel filter, air filter, and maybe the fuel pump. It does not sound like a trans problem to me.
I will check those bolts when i get off at 5. last tune up did a new fuel filter and air filter. would a low fuel pressure cause it to die when coming to s atop when OD is off ? What is the idle fuel pressure supposed to be in the v10? i can check it tonight as well.

For that check, Should i use a gauge on the fuel rail or are the sensors traditionally accurate ? I have a usb to obd2 adaptor i can use with my laptop for diagnostics. I am an IT guy by trade so i tend to have random nerd toys.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:40 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru
PA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputation
this is too funny

Originally Posted by modem.over View Post
I am an IT guy by trade so i tend to have random nerd toys.
i dont have any suggestions to help you but just wanted to mention how funny this statement was

Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
modem.over
New User
Originally Posted by PA-Mark View Post
i dont have any suggestions to help you but just wanted to mention how funny this statement was

Lol, i do. I have the code reader form when i did a carputer in my 96 Taurus. Protocol is the same so it works on the truck.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
modem.over
New User
OK, Checked the bolts and they are snug. No free play under the column. Tried adjusting the linkage by shifting to drive, releasing the plastic clip on the linkage at the tranny, shifting to 1st than back to drive and reattaching the plastic clip. Now you have to shift to neutral to start it and all the other problems...... Still exist.

Any other ideas ?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
modem.over
New User
Pulled this from my obd-usb last night. Looks like spark plugs 1 and 9 are ready for replacement and that my egr could use a good cleaning. None of these values are far enufgh out of range that they are poping a CEL.

Service $06 - On-Board Monitoring
Date: 3/15/2012 8:18:46 PM

<table style="text-align:center" border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="tableHeader"><th>Component</th> <th>Description</th> <th>Value</th> <th>Minimum</th> <th>Maximum</th> <th>Units</th> <th>Result</th> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $11</td> <td>TID $41 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>223</td> <td>64640</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>
</td> <td>Fail</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $12</td> <td>TID $41 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>223</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>1113</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $20</td> <td>TID $45 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>17461</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>30464</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $30</td> <td>TID $4A - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>1772</td> <td>1408</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $30</td> <td>TID $4B - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>10060</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>26214</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $00</td> <td>TID $50 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>2621</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $01</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>196</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $02</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $03</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $04</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $05</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $06</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>196</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $07</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $08</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $09</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>1112</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $0A</td> <td>TID $53 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $00</td> <td>TID $54 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>1505</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>64768</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableAlternateRow"> <td>Component Id $00</td> <td>TID $55 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>183</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>2621</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> <tr class="tableRow"> <td>Component Id $00</td> <td>TID $56 - Manufacturer Defined</td> <td>133</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>5000</td> <td>
</td> <td>Pass</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 PM
modem.over
New User
New updates

So as i tried to put the linkage back to where it was i missed by about 3 teeth from my original marking. Figured what the hell and i gave it a shot just to see how much of a difference it made. Apparently that was all the change it needed for the late shifts, Now it shifts perfectly.

Still dies half the time when going into reverse or when stopping with OD turned off. .. TQ ?