6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking to purchase a new 6.7, but looking for any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM
dpayne7571
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to purchase a new 6.7, but looking for any suggestions

I will be using this truck as a daily driver and rarely towing much behind it. Yes, I know I am buying more truck than I need, but the F150 is just too small for me and does not have the autumn red color choice, the F250 feels so much more roomy on the inside to me and my wife which I love.

I think it handles great also, but should I be buying a V10 instead as I do not want to have problems by not working this truck like it needs to be.

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Michael53
Senior User
It's likely true (my opinion) that most of us on this forum don't really need a diesel. As some have said on this forum, a gas truck will pull about everything this truck will - except that an F150 does not ahve the capacity. The fact is that I like many others wanted a diesel because it does eveything a gas engine does with significantly less drama.

I moved from a 2003 F150 with the anemic 5.4 engine which I really loved - it was a great truck even after 140K miles - and with 10 weeks, 7300 miles, 4 2.5 gal containers of DEF fluid and the first oil change this morning under my belt pulling snowmobile trailers with this truck I still can't wait to get into my truck and drive it - with a silly grin on my face. I look forward to driving this truck almost as much as I do my 67 RestoMod Camaro RS/SS with 6K miles since a frame-off!

I could have easily gotten by with a F150 Ecoboost but this truck is the best vehicle I have ever owned - including two late model Corvettes. My bet is if you buy it, you will love the truck.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM
dpayne7571
Senior User
Originally Posted by Michael53
It's likely true (my opinion) that most of us on this forum don't really need a diesel. As some have said on this forum, a gas truck will pull about everything this truck will - except that an F150 does not ahve the capacity. The fact is that I like many others wanted a diesel because it does eveything a gas engine does with significantly less drama.

I moved from a 2003 F150 with the anemic 5.4 engine which I really loved - it was a great truck even after 140K miles - and with 10 weeks, 7300 miles, 4 2.5 gal containers of DEF fluid and the first oil change this morning under my belt pulling snowmobile trailers with this truck I still can't wait to get into my truck and drive it - with a silly grin on my face. I look forward to driving this truck almost as much as I do my 67 RestoMod Camaro RS/SS with 6K miles since a frame-off!

I could have easily gotten by with a F150 Ecoboost but this truck is the best vehicle I have ever owned - including two late model Corvettes. My bet is if you buy it, you will love the truck.
I already do love it! Love the room also it has to offer for my family. If I do buy one, then I will have to get use to squeezing this truck into tight spots as I want the crew cab with short bed.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by dpayne7571
I already do love it! Love the room also it has to offer for my family. If I do buy one, then I will have to get use to squeezing this truck into tight spots as I want the crew cab with short bed.
The CC, SB is what I have and also coming from a F-150 SC I was actually surprised at how easy it is to park. The problem that I have is that the truck sits so high that I think I pull up to within a few inches of the vehicle in front of me, when I get out and look I always seem to have 12'-18" of room.

The other thing (probably has to do with geography) is that there are so many F-150's on the road around here, they just look common. They are nice and I am not bashing them, it's just that I see so many of them.

As far as driving, I look forward to driving the truck every day. My wife always asks me, are you going to clean my car when you are done with the truck?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobe 11SD
The problem that I have is that the truck sits so high that I think I pull up to within a few inches of the vehicle in front of me, when I get out and look I always seem to have 12'-18" of room.
You know that is exactly the problem my friend has with his F250 as well, not to mention he parks his in the garage and it is hard to judge how close the bumper is from the wall. He installed a forward facing camera for this very reason, as well as for parking in parking lots.

To the OP I know your struggle with what size truck to get as I have the same issue. I don't NEED the diesel, but after driving it...it is hard to deny the smile factor of it's performance for a big truck!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
cford716
Elder User
I didn't need the diesel, but always wanted one and plan on keeping it a long time. Love the truck. Basically if you like the truck can afford it and the maintenance, get it and don't look back. If you want something that can haul stuff and also travel comfortably with the family I think this is it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
when i got my 6.4 i thought i wanted the short bed. i ended up with the longbed and now i will never have it any other way. it takes time getting accustomed to parking and such but its not too bad. i drove my truck as a daily driver in L.A. for the first year and had no problems...other than an occasional toyota corolla getting sucked into my intake and spit out my exhaust..

Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 PM
dpayne7571
Senior User
It seems now maybe my short trips to work are going to be bad for this diesel truck since my office is only 4 miles away. Grrrrrrrrrrr Seems the def will give me problems if I'm not driving further on a regular basis. If only the F150 came in autumn red!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
go diesel and never look back. dont sweat the small stuff. go mobil1 5w40 turbo diesel truck oil and your golden. as for the def or dpf, take a ride on the highway once in a while. or better yet, a road trip, or better yet, get a trailer

Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 PM
dpayne7571
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
go diesel and never look back. dont sweat the small stuff. go mobil1 5w40 turbo diesel truck oil and your golden. as for the def or dpf, take a ride on the highway once in a while. or better yet, a road trip, or better yet, get a trailer
My wife has a diesel car and we love the mileage it gets and the reliability! I love diesels, just have a few friends and even a guy at the dealership telling me today that this truck needs to be worked more or these short trips are going to be costly to my pocket for repairs.

I like your spirit though!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love diesels, just have a few friends and even a guy at the dealership telling me today that this truck needs to be worked more or these short trips are going to be costly to my pocket for repairs.
I'd tend to agree with your friends and and the dealer. The diesels have come a long way, but use like you're describing is still pretty hard on them IMHO.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 AM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
My $0.02 ...... if you don't NEED a diesel, and you don't NEED the capacity of an F250 then practicaly speaking go with an F150 EcoB. Much, much, easier on the pocketbook! Heck it might even cost you less overall if you were to get an F150 repainted However if you're pockets are a bit deeper and you want to have a grin on your face every time you fire your beast up then the F250 6.7L Diesel is the only way to go. Either way you are not making a mistake.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by B&LLandscaping
I'd tend to agree with your friends and and the dealer. The diesels have come a long way, but use like you're describing is still pretty hard on them IMHO.
Are you saying that everyday driving without towing on the 6.7 is hard on it? How?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM
B HOOFED
Junior User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Are you saying that everyday driving without towing on the 6.7 is hard on it? How?
Driving without towing is fine. Frequent short trips are an issue. The diesel particle filter (DPF) traps soot particles out of the exhaust. After a while the DPF gets clogged up with soot particles, so the truck starts a regen to burn off the soot. It does this by injecting fuel into the engine on the exhaust stroke. The fuel heats up the exhaust gases and causes the soot traped in the DPF to burn off.

The regen will only occur when the engine gets up to temperature (about 175F), which takes at least 10 minutes from start, longer in cold weather. If you only do short trips the soot will never get burned off, and the DPF will clog to the point that the exhaust gases can no longer pass through. The truck will warn you before it reaches this point, and you will have to go for a 30 minute drive to let it perform the regen. It's possible the DPF could become clogged to the point that the truck's normal regen process can no longer clean it, in which case it would have to be manually cleaned or replaced by the dealership. This has happened with some of the 6.4L powerstrokes. I'm not sure if clogged DPF's have been reported with the 6.7.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B HOOFED
Driving without towing is fine. Frequent short trips are an issue. The diesel particle filter (DPF) traps soot particles out of the exhaust. After a while the DPF gets clogged up with soot particles, so the truck starts a regen to burn off the soot. It does this by injecting fuel into the engine on the exhaust stroke. The fuel heats up the exhaust gases and causes the soot traped in the DPF to burn off.

The regen will only occur when the engine gets up to temperature (about 175F), which takes at least 10 minutes from start, longer in cold weather. If you only do short trips the soot will never get burned off, and the DPF will clog to the point that the exhaust gases can no longer pass through. The truck will warn you before it reaches this point, and you will have to go for a 30 minute drive to let it perform the regen. It's possible the DPF could become clogged to the point that the truck's normal regen process can no longer clean it, in which case it would have to be manually cleaned or replaced by the dealership. This has happened with some of the 6.4L powerstrokes. I'm not sure if clogged DPF's have been reported with the 6.7.
Exactly.

In addition, diesels require longer times and greater loads to reach operating temperature. Running any engine below operating temp leads to incomplete combustion which causes carbon and fuel deposits, allows greater oil contamination, increased fuel consumption, and just generally shortens engine life. I do think the new modern diesels are much improved on this front, but the general rule still applies.

As to the OP's choice, I was in exactly the same situation when I bought my 2002 F350. I wanted a Superduty, but I decided that the V10 gas engine was the right choice for me as a daily driver, especially in a Canadian climate. I think it was the right choice. It served me flawlessly and was very cheap to maintain. I only went diesel this time around because my truck is no longer my daily driver, and if I'm in it, I'm likely either towing or making a long highway trip. That's what the diesels are designed for.

This is all just IMHO, everyone should feel free to buy what they want and use it however they want.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a new 6.7, but looking for any suggestions