Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bad PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad PCM?

I'm wondering if I have a bad PCM. My truck (01 7.3) will run fine, but then just shut off momentarily. Sometimes it will start up and run 3 seconds, sometimes 120 miles. I've changed the Cam sensor, fuel filter, swapped the idm from my other truck, all to no avail. I've read that sometimes the cam sensor signal can get lost in a defective PCM. I've checked the valve cover connections, and they are good. My only other thought is a possible intermittent cps out of the box from NAPA? Help!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 PM
gradyc
wellhead
Haven't heard any good words about the Parts Store's CPS. Pick one up from Ford or International. You should be good to go.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mowing Man
I'm wondering if I have a bad PCM. My truck (01 7.3) will run fine, but then just shut off momentarily. Sometimes it will start up and run 3 seconds, sometimes 120 miles. I've changed the Cam sensor, fuel filter, swapped the idm from my other truck, all to no avail. I've read that sometimes the cam sensor signal can get lost in a defective PCM. I've checked the valve cover connections, and they are good. My only other thought is a possible intermittent cps out of the box from NAPA? Help!
Too many reports of poor quality CPS's from parts stores, it's really about the same price from Ford or International, so it's a no brainer for me to use them.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Is there a way I can test a cps with a meter? If so, what resistance or voltage should I get?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Grapevine Ford Junky
New User
Have you concidered cutting your loss and maybe trying another truck?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Originally Posted by Grapevine Ford Junky
Just got this truck. It runs great, just a matter of figuring out what causes the problem. Even changing out the pcs is a few hundred dollars. Cheaper than a new truck.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend

Is there a way I can test a cps with a meter? If so, what resistance or voltage should I get?
You theoretically could, I would like to use an oscilloscope personally as it will be a pulsating signal, square wave.

I think an '01 you can still see the tach move on the dash if it's working I know on '02+ you cannot though. Usually diagnostic tool that can view live data to watch RPM signal. If it is an intermittent as you say though it would be tough to catch it with a meter until it is failing.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Just got this truck. It runs great, just a matter of figuring out what causes the problem. Even changing out the pcs is a few hundred dollars. Cheaper than a new truck.
I personally have not heard of a bad CPS taking out a PCM...basically the PCM just looses it's reference for timing of the injection event, so it shuts down to keep from missing correct firing sequence.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Thanks Big Al. Do you think I could borrow the PCM from my 02 7.3 and try it in my 01? Would I be taking a chance at ruining my PCM in my 02?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:45 PM
PaulDH
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you considered cutting your loss and maybe trying another truck?
There's the advice we were looking for. A one size fits all cures-all solution to anything that ails you.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
"Have you considered cutting your loss and maybe trying another truck? "

Obviously a troll. Only one post and it's something stupid.

Mowing man,
Get a cps from Ford or international. Even if it doesn't fix your problem you'll have a spare. If it does then it's a cheap quick fix.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Thanks guys. I'll grab one from Ford this morning and see what happens.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
So I swapped out the Cam sensor today with a Ford one. Didn't change anything. A few notes that may or may not affect or cause the problem, but here is the info. A few weeks ago I blew a H.P. Oil line, which I replaced. While doing that, I broke a fuel fitting going into fuel bowl. I ended up replacing the fitting and the fuel lines that feed and return the fuel. Thought I did a good job of snaking them through and cleaning any crud off of them, but maybe not. The truck started and ran great for 2 days, and then this current problem. I have checked valve cover harnesses, they are good. I have tried 2 cam sensors now, it is good. I have changed fuel filter 2 times. First time there was some oily mud in the bottom of the bowl. I cleaned it, and it ran great for 100 miles, now back to the same. The bowl is spotless inside. I have also swapped the IDM from my other truck, no difference. When this truck acts up, it throws a po 344 and a po 340 code. It also runs on the odd cylinders, but not even ones. I can unplug the valve harness on that side it runs the same as plugged in. Harness has right amounts of resistance though, and the return wire is good. I'm wondering about my IPR. Also, only does it when warm. Any thoughts?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
01PS
Elder User
So I swapped out the Cam sensor today with a Ford one. Didn't change anything. A few notes that may or may not affect or cause the problem, but here is the info. A few weeks ago I blew a H.P. Oil line, which I replaced. While doing that, I broke a fuel fitting going into fuel bowl. I ended up replacing the fitting and the fuel lines that feed and return the fuel. Thought I did a good job of snaking them through and cleaning any crud off of them, but maybe not. The truck started and ran great for 2 days, and then this current problem. I have checked valve cover harnesses, they are good. I have tried 2 cam sensors now, it is good. I have changed fuel filter 2 times. First time there was some oily mud in the bottom of the bowl. I cleaned it, and it ran great for 100 miles, now back to the same. The bowl is spotless inside. I have also swapped the IDM from my other truck, no difference. When this truck acts up, it throws a po 344 and a po 340 code. It also runs on the odd cylinders, but not even ones. I can unplug the valve harness on that side it runs the same as plugged in. Harness has right amounts of resistance though, and the return wire is good. I'm wondering about my IPR. Also, only does it when warm. Any thoughts?
Have you pulled the valve covers and actually looked at the UVCH? Sounds like it could be a burnt pin making intermittent connection. Have you done the 50 cent mod yet? Also, check the connector on the driver side that is notorious for rubbing on the VC. 42 pins maybe? It's pretty easy to spot where it would rub.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
gradyc
wellhead
PO344 = CPS circuit intermittent

PO340 = CPS circuit malfunction

Unplug to CPS check and clean the connection.

Quick Reply: Bad PCM?