Rear Axle ID - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Rear Axle ID

Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
New User

driveguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Rear Axle ID

I am about to put new brakes on the rear of my 2002 F250 (owned it less than a year now), but most places offer two brake rotors. One part # for a Sterling 10.5" Axle and another part # that usually states single rear wheel. The ones for the sterling axle usually cost a little more so I assume there is a difference and I need this to fit the first time. Long story short the axle tag says:

3 V 425B
L73 105 2C27 (on this line it looks like there may be a letter before the L that is hidden by the bolt)

Can anybody help me ID this axle and get the correct rotors?

BTW, if there is a difference in rotors, does anyone know if there is a difference in the Pads?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM

redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
You have a Sterling 10.5" differential.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
You have a Sterling 10.5" (Ford Corp) but that doesn't identify the application. That axle could have any various style of brake assembly. I think you want to select the parts that fit an '02 F250 Single Rear Wheel. The reason it asks about SRW or DRW is because the same axle is used on the F250 and F350 SRW. Dually is different.

I've found Rock Auto is good for identifying Ford part numbers from various brands, including Motorcraft.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
New User

bpounds,

Rock Auto was ONE of several places I looked at motorcraft rotors. To clarify... all of the websites have these three rotor descriptions:

10.5" Sterling
Single Rear Wheel
Dual Rear Wheel

I left Dual Rear Wheel off my original post since it's obvious it doesn't apply to my truck.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Yeah, I checked too and saw that. I'm not positive about why they have different numbers. But as I said, I would choose the one that says OE Design Single Rear Wheel. Not the one that says Sterling.

Motorcraft BRRF102
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 AM
New User

Quick update...

I bought the BRR94's and they fit just fine. They looked just like the OEM rotors. I was able to find the BRR94's for the same price as the BRRF102's (if that matters).

The rest of the story...one reseller told me that the BRR94's AND the BRRF102's both fit this truck. She said "the BRRF102's are a new design to make the rotors more cost effective." I do not know if this is true or not, I am just repeating what I am told. Multiple resellers told me "they both fit the truck, there's no difference".

Either way they should both fit the truck and my first hand experience is the BRR94's fit.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
2 bit Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveguy View Post
Quick update...

I bought the BRR94's and they fit just fine. They looked just like the OEM rotors. I was able to find the BRR94's for the same price as the BRRF102's (if that matters).

The rest of the story...one reseller told me that the BRR94's AND the BRRF102's both fit this truck. She said "the BRRF102's are a new design to make the rotors more cost effective." I do not know if this is true or not, I am just repeating what I am told. Multiple resellers told me "they both fit the truck, there's no difference".

Either way they should both fit the truck and my first hand experience is the BRR94's fit.
Sounds good. I found the same thing with the differing numbers on brake pads. It turned out that one number was brown box OEM Ford, and the other number was a fancy red box Motorcraft. They will tell you that they are the exact same pads, but I am not convinced and I wanted brown box OEM. They don't make it easy to figure out these numbers.