1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

body lift ??? help me out guys bbushngs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
kregalmach1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body lift ??? help me out guys bbushngs

hi i baught a body lift for a 1982 ford f150 witch i have. it is a stepside with the wood bottom bed. near mint has a 351 cleveland in it. i got all the bolts out finally now for my ?????? my cab has rubber bushings under it as well as the front. the front(2) are worn now the other 4 under the cab are rubber as well and are about 2inches in hight (they are good like new) now do i go ahead and remove all the old rubber busHings ???because a see the bed has a couple of differnt hight factory wood blocks to make it same hight of cab.. so if i remove the front bushing and leave the wood blocks in the back it will be a different height... or should i just remove the bushings . put the cab on the body lift blocks? and then cut the rest of the lift bushings for the bed to fit where the cab ends up???? please help thankls in advance OO or do i leave everything and put the lift blocks on top the bushingsand put big washers between the block and the rubber?????o the threads on new bolts arent the same either and the old nuts are factory molded to the rubbers.. wo wo figure all this out please

Last edited by ctubutis; 03-01-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Fixed errant HTML codes.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
What height body lift did you buy? If you bought a 2 inch lift, and the blocks in the kit are 2 inches high, then if you take the factory bushings out, you are not going to get your 2 inches of lift you paid for are you?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
kregalmach1
Junior User
Red face

its a 3 inch body lift. can i get new front bushings somewhere??
but also/// the nuts that hold the bolts are form fitted or molded to the bushings witch i am sure are a different thread ?????they did give me nuts
should i cut the old nuts off? cause they are part of the washer (witch is molded to the rubber)id be happy if i get two inches out of it

Last edited by kregalmach1; 03-02-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: more info and spelling
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
kregalmach1
Junior User
Unhappy com on guys help me out

wat about the bushings and nuts in this thread surly someone has the answer old nut are different thread than new ones .....o and wont the new 3 in blocks just wind up working down into the rubber bushings eventuually

Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The only mounts that have the bolts pointed up are the ones for the core support. The rest use basically long flange head bolts. If you have a mount that's shot, I'd replace it.
You can find them here: LMC Truck Parts - Page 22

As for threads being different, I'd go to Fastenal or some hardware store and get the correct threads for the bolts and nuts. It seems stupid that a company can't match what was used on a truck for 16 years. That way, if you ever decide to take the body lift out, all you have to do is drop the original bolts back in. I'm not sure what thread/pitch was used, but if you need to know, I can check for you.

As for leaving the factory spacers out, I wouldn't. You won't get the full lift you paid for and things will not go together correctly.

Another important thing, what trans/shifter combo do you have? If using the column shifter, you will also have to lengthen the rod going from the column to the pivot. Same as a standard, you will need to lengthen the clutch rod. If using an aftermarket cable operated shifter, you should be fine.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
kregalmach1
Junior User
Red face arg

i think im gonna just cut off all busings . keep the bottoms,.... and just put the lift blocks sitting on the frame rails... then put the lift blocks under the factory wood blocks and on top the frame rail for the bed ... fiind how much the differance is and cut the blocks to that hight to match the cab gonna take measurement in te morning to see the differances because the rubbers under the cab are already at least 2 inches thick .

what would this do for me im really starting to get a little bummed out about this frustration is setting in .....DID THAT KIT COME WITH ALL THE BUSHINGS FOR THE CAB AND CORE SUPPORT I JUST SAW IT CAME WITH CAB BUSHINGS

what do i got to do to fix the old standard clutch linkage??????????????????????? o and ill wait to start any cutting just frustrated i to thought when they said would direct fit 82 truck it would fit .and the bolts would bolt as they where not buy the kit then go buy all new bolts and nuts so i got o as well by a bushing kit and then go find more bolts what the hell went wrong here im calling the kit maker in the morning as well thanks guys

Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't want to come across harsh here so if I do, I apologize in advance. I'm just trying to help you as much as I can.

Originally Posted by kregalmach1
i think im gonna just cut off all busings . keep the bottoms,.... and just put the lift blocks sitting on the frame rails... then put the lift blocks under the factory wood blocks and on top the frame rail for the bed ... fiind how much the differance is and cut the blocks to that hight to match the cab gonna take measurement in te morning to see the differances because the rubbers under the cab are already at least 2 inches thick .
First, I would not get rid of the factory mounts (or at least the top part of the mounts). For one, you will loose the whole three inch lift you just paid good money for. Second, the rubber is there to isolate the vibrations between the frame and cab. The rear cab mount is approx. 3 inches tall and you'll gain nothing by cutting it off. I recommend just replacing the ones that are bad.
It doesn't matter what the heights of the mounts are, as long as you put the same height lift block on each one, it will come out correctly. Don't over-think this one, lift cab, put blocks on, set cab down. Same with the bed.

what would this do for me im really starting to get a little bummed out about this frustration is setting in .....DID THAT KIT COME WITH ALL THE BUSHINGS FOR THE CAB AND CORE SUPPORT I JUST SAW IT CAME WITH CAB BUSHINGS
The page I listed before was just for individual mounts. You said before the only bad ones were the front ones for the core support. If you want a kit for the whole cab, you'll find it here, bottom of page, left side: LMC Truck Parts - Page 21

what do i got to do to fix the old standard clutch linkage??????????????????????? o and ill wait to start any cutting just frustrated i to thought when they said would direct fit 82 truck it would fit .and the bolts would bolt as they where not buy the kit then go buy all new bolts and nuts so i got o as well by a bushing kit and then go find more bolts what the hell went wrong here im calling the kit maker in the morning as well thanks guys
When you install the lift blocks, just unhook the clutch linkage at first. When the blocks are all in and tightened down, measure how much longer it needs to be and weld in an extension to get it back to the correct length. I don't think there's enough adjustment to make up for a 3 inch lift.

I'm getting the feeling you are maybe over-thinking this, or irritated that the hardware isn't correct. I have never seen a body lift kit that had the correct hardware. If I were to put that kind of lift on any of my trucks, I'd just buy the blocks and purchase the correct hardware from my own source. At least that way, I'd know it was right.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:37 AM
kregalmach1
Junior User
thanks alot

hey thanks alot man
i do appretiate your help way more than it may seem..but i figure if i buy 2 new rubbers for the core support they would
be a different hight than the rest of the rubbers since they are old as well
also the cab rubbers do loook good .. however if they are softer thean two new ones the lift blocks would sink into the old ones firther than the new ones wich again gives me a different hight???? in the core support than the cab thats why i was thinking i need all new bushings..
do keep intouch i probably am over thinking but just want to be sure before i make a mess let me know wat you think now i am very mecanical but just going through all my options

Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Franklin2
hey thanks alot man
i do appretiate your help way more than it may seem..but i figure if i buy 2 new rubbers for the core support they would
be a different hight than the rest of the rubbers since they are old as well
also the cab rubbers do loook good .. however if they are softer thean two new ones the lift blocks would sink into the old ones firther than the new ones wich again gives me a different hight???? in the core support than the cab thats why i was thinking i need all new bushings..
do keep intouch i probably am over thinking but just want to be sure before i make a mess let me know wat you think now i am very mecanical but just going through all my options
You are thinking correctly. So your only options are just put the kit in with the old mounts(your truck is level now right?) or buy all new mounts and put the kit in over top of them.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:47 PM
kregalmach1
Junior User
lift bushings

hey guys went ahead and baught all new cab mounts got the cab lifed up today about 6 inches going to start the scraping of the frame and stuff should have all hardware and bushing this weekend going to pull bed all way off as well to do that frame so all new bushings ordered from lmc truck 3in lift and going to lose the running boards and go with crome nerf bars shoulld look ok well see keep intouch please case i run into something and thanks for the info guys ill keep ya updated

Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM
kregalmach1
Junior User
Wink back at the 82 ford guys help ??????/

can you point me to where i buy shock munts for my 82 f150 step side???. wow wat did i get into should i have just sold it???? NO NEVER HA HA HA HA. HA. i need a link guys shock mounts and mabe even rear leaf mounts. also i have an old rancho suspention air shocks and when i tried to remove the valve it broke. can i get a replcement ???? like the piece i put air into the shocks ?????? links please thanks in advance ill put some picks up of what im into wowwwww

Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Franklin2
The Ford dealer carries the frame brackets you mentioned(mine did anyway). LMC truck also carries them. Your local part store will most likely carry the tee fitting for the air shocks. You may have to go to a Napa or someplace like that.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 AM
kregalmach1
Junior User
ok tahnks man i got the shock and rear leaf monts from advance auto and ill ask them when im there to see if they have a valve for shocks thanks again for your help please keep intouch as im tearing this truck down as we speak got bed off of it yesturday be lots of scrapeing and painting today