1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Tail Gate Problems: Oh Great Collective Knowledge of FTE, Help me with my Tail Gate

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail Gate Problems: Oh Great Collective Knowledge of FTE, Help me with my Tail Gate

Alright my friends, one of these days I'll a thread posted that isnt something to do with whats wrong with my truck
Anyways, This one should be simple, but I'm out of ideas. On my 1985 Ford F150 Explorer my tail gate has now refused to open back up on me. On the inside of the bed (if this is relevant) it has the Laying down 3-bolt L pattern. I check the lever, everything seemed connected. When I pulled the lever to open the tail gate, the left side would seem to want to come out, but the right wouldn't. Which Is weird to me because when I looked at the lever closely it only had a rod connected to the left side of the tail gate, pulling a lock (or something of that nature). Anyways, Ill give more details if needed, Ill check back later tonight for responses. I've gotta jet now. Thanks my friends!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Xenthrax
Alright my friends, one of these days I'll a thread posted that isnt something to do with whats wrong with my truck
You could put up a face shot of yourself in the Mug Shots thread and say something about yourself.

Originally Posted by Xenthrax
I check the lever, everything seemed connected. When I pulled the lever to open the tail gate, the left side would seem to want to come out, but the right wouldn't. Which Is weird to me because when I looked at the lever closely it only had a rod connected to the left side of the tail gate, pulling a lock (or something of that nature).
I'm kinda confused, everything seems connected but there's only one rod? There are two rods, one to each side.

Mine comes apart at that handle assembly, too - the RH rod comes out of the handle, sometimes you can stick your finger up in there and grab hold of the rod (it's got an L shape) to pull it, other times a screwdriver at the latch to pry on that wedge will work.

I got new plastic clips in the HELP! section of an auto parts store, they hold the rods to the handle assembly.

They seem to work fairly well. I also lubricated everything up with silicone grease - the handle mechanism, the wedges, and where the wedges meet with the bedsides. Makes it quite a bit easier to close....

Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
okay if you just need it open, raise the handle on the tailgate apply a little pressure like you are going to open the gate, that should release the left side, go to the right side inside the bed, look between the tailgate and the bed side, you should be able to see the latch and pin, the pin is tapered to close easier, with a small flat screwdriver go between the pin and latch and release the pin (lock) from the latch it should open.

The rod that attaches to the right side is on the top of the mechanism (handle). You have to almost stand on your head and look up to see it, the rods seem to stretch or straighten out over the years.

A redneck fix is to take the connecting rod out and bend it ever so slightly to shorten it up just a little.
Hang around someone else may have a better idea.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
sorry ctubutis, i started typing took a phone call and when i posted you already had
:-0

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shot from 81 shop manual, Link 43868 appears in two drawings.

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Yes, you must have 2 rods going to the tailgate handle in the middle. Most of the ones I have worked on had the rods connected, but would not move the rods enough to unlatch them. In every case, the chrome handle was bent, which let it hit the tailgate metal and stop before it had enough travel to move the rods enough. I always end up taking the whole thing apart, putting the center handle in a vise and bending it back, and then putting it back together with some lube. You will also probably have to take a hammer, put the center pivot on the anvil of a vise, and smack the large center rivet the handle pivots on to tighten it up.

And yes, most of the time the little plastic clips break while you are doing all this.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by hiredgun
sorry ctubutis, i started typing took a phone call and when i posted you already had
:-0
'tis OK.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
I must say, I had thought (You know, with common sense) that there were TWO connecting rods, on for the left and one for the right. But when I bent down to look at it, like I said I only say one going to the left hand side. Perhaps its way in there and It has just successfully evaded me.

Originally Posted by hiredgun
go to the right side inside the bed, look between the tailgate and the bed side, you should be able to see the latch and pin, the pin is tapered to close easier, with a small flat screwdriver go between the pin and latch and release the pin (lock) from the latch it should open.
Now in regards to prying it using this method, the bed is conveniently shifted to the right, leaving no more than about 3-5 milimeters of space between the bed and the right side of the bed.

I'll definitely have to go back out tomorrow and give this thing another look with yall's suggestions in mind. I understand this seems like a no brainer, but it's quite troublesome.

Any additions is surely welcome! Thanks!

Last edited by ctubutis; 02-27-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
By the way, WilleyJoe.62, I've really enjoyed reading your thread about that 1981 you've been working on

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
it is either there or it has come loose, in that case it is most likely laying just below the handle right where the back side and the front side of the tailgate come together. if you do take the handle assembly out you will find it

the illustrations posted show where both rods "should" attach

Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ctubutis
You could put up a face shot of yourself in the Mug Shots thread and say something about yourself.

The dark deed you've requested is done, sir

Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
Shot from 81 shop manual, Link 43868 appears in two drawings.
Wow! Look who has a factory shop manual. Good job, WJ.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Wow! Look who has a factory shop manual. Good job, WJ.
Oh yeah, I've come to realize he a big go-to guy for these trucks. The huge contributor to that Revelation definitely has to be his Thread about his 1981 F100 restoration

Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
anyexcuse
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
And yes, most of the time the little plastic clips break while you are doing all this.
How do you fix this? Mine has one broke and I have to reach in and put it back in the hole to open the tailgate. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis

I'm kinda confused, everything seems connected but there's only one rod? There are two rods, one to each side.

Mine comes apart at that handle assembly, too - the RH rod comes out of the handle, sometimes you can stick your finger up in there and grab hold of the rod (it's got an L shape) to pull it, other times a screwdriver at the latch to pry on that wedge will work.

I got new plastic clips in the HELP! section of an auto parts store, they hold the rods to the handle assembly.

They seem to work fairly well. I also lubricated everything up with silicone grease - the handle mechanism, the wedges, and where the wedges meet with the bedsides. Makes it quite a bit easier to close....
See above. Pretty easy fix.

Quick Reply: Tail Gate Problems: Oh Great Collective Knowledge of FTE, Help me with my Tail Gate