6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

STEERING WHEEL

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
K80
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STEERING WHEEL

Steering wheel is offset to the right. Had the steering box replaced a few days ago and the dealer did a wheel alignment as part of the job. Now steering wheel is 3 inches offset. Question: Is it possible to get the steering wheel centered or am I being too ****? I will be taking it back to the dealer (service manager was notified about this) and don't want to be classified as a pain in the a$$, I'd rather save my complaints for something more important in the future. It appears that the center link from the Pitman arm to the passenger side tie rod knuckle has been adjusted a little to much. Could this be what needs to be re-adjusted; not by me though? Mike

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
mike, if it aint right, and u paid for it, then it's best to take it back n have those guys correct wat they failed to correct. probs like tat will occur. no need to get upset over tis.

u dont wan to do it urself cos u could get it wrong. anything related to steering is more precision than anything else. i'd let someone wif the right tools and equipment handle it.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
For that much out I would take it back to

these are a PIA to adjust so let them do it they need to do the job right anyway

Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The steering wheel can be adjusted by itself. They are a pain in the butt to get centered in my experience. It will probably take a few tries to get it dead on.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Step 1: Wheels straight
Step 2: Check Pitman arm is pointed straight forwards
Step 3: Check that both tie rod ends have the same amount of threads showing

If the wheels are straight, the pitman should be as well. Most likely the shop didn't re-install the pitman straight and used the tie rods to get things "straight" during the alignment.

Stupid them...but alot of shops do that for some reason. it's a relatively easy fix. Pop the pitman arm off and the end links. Center the wheels and verify the steering wheel is straight. pop the pitman back on facing straight forward. then connect the end links and align. I've been aligning vehicles using a tape measure for years. my vehicles always track perfectly straight. not hard at all to DIY in your driveway

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
Step 1: Wheels straight
Step 2: Check Pitman arm is pointed straight forwards
Step 3: Check that both tie rod ends have the same amount of threads showing

If the wheels are straight, the pitman should be as well. Most likely the shop didn't re-install the pitman straight and used the tie rods to get things "straight" during the alignment.

Stupid them...but alot of shops do that for some reason. it's a relatively easy fix. Pop the pitman arm off and the end links. Center the wheels and verify the steering wheel is straight. pop the pitman back on facing straight forward. then connect the end links and align. I've been aligning vehicles using a tape measure for years. my vehicles always track perfectly straight. not hard at all to DIY in your driveway

Funney you mention that tape measure thing thats what I do to havent took a vehicle in to an alingment rack for years

I was just thinking about it and thought if the 2 tires were good and just the steering is off cant he just adjust the drag link at the Pitman arm instead of pullen the arm off and the tie rod end links all off.

But then again 3 inches is alot to recover from (in steering and alignment stuff) so it maybe best to pull the pitman arm off and centerline it back up so you dont max the steering gear out when you turn to one side or the other still think it could be done without cutting the Tierod ends loose those should be good as long as it tracks straight IMO

Its definatly not to bad after you get that first alignment with a tape measure under your belt I know I wont ever pay for that again

Them little compact cars are the easiest where you can do each side independant

Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Originally Posted by K80
Steering wheel is offset to the right. Had the steering box replaced a few days ago and the dealer did a wheel alignment as part of the job. Now steering wheel is 3 inches offset. Question: Is it possible to get the steering wheel centered or am I being too ****? I will be taking it back to the dealer (service manager was notified about this) and don't want to be classified as a pain in the a$$, I'd rather save my complaints for something more important in the future. It appears that the center link from the Pitman arm to the passenger side tie rod knuckle has been adjusted a little to much. Could this be what needs to be re-adjusted; not by me though? Mike
I think you definitely should find a new dealer. I'd even check & make sure everythings tight for your safety. When I changed my box my steering was about 45 degrees off center or 2-3'' off to the right. The drag link that connects to the pitman arm has an adjusting collar. Loosen the 2 bolts & turn the whole collar. After a long ride I got out a few times tweak here & there till it was perfectly straight. Dealer has equipment to do this in house. They should be ashamed of themself as they are suppose to be cream of the crop! My truck would of already been parked right in front of that big bay service door waiting for them.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that there is a collar between the steering wheel and the steering box (under the air filter) that can be disconnected and slid toward the firewall and then the steering wheel will spin without the gear box knowing it. IIRC that is where we disconnected mine to pull the cab. Just a thought. Btw, this fix is on the dealer. Good luck