6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge CS or CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Edge CS or CTS?

Which one are you guy's using? Will they work with my existing egt probe in my edge insight? Can i use the edge eas pressure senor to measure fuel pressure? I would like to use one gauge pod if possible!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM
TruckNorris
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently bought the CTS and got the EGT probe as well. While I'm not 100% sure, I would imagine that they design future products to work with their existing past products. I also am not too sure about the pressure sensor.

I did get a deal on it through thmotorsports though...I got it for $330, which is only $30 more than the CS version.

Edge Products Insight CTS UNIVERSAL 0 - 0 83830

It says its now only $323, which is cheaper than I got it for about 3 weeks ago.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't think so, based on this:
Legacy Evolution/Insight Thermocouple (EGT Probe for Legacy Evolutions and Insights)
saying it doesn't work with the CS/CTS.

You'll need this to make it work:
EAS EGT Cable for CS and CTS (expandable) - EAS Expandable EGT with Starter Kit for CS and CTS

The new probe should screw into the original hole

Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I went with the CS. Obviously the CTS has a larger screen. But I chose the CS because it properly fits the dash pod, and almost looks like something stock. Some people who ride in my truck don't even notice that it is an add-on. Secondly, having used a touch screen GPS of the same size, I know how hard it is to hit buttons in a bouncing truck, plus it doesn't work with gloves. Personal choice here, but that was my reasoning.

Your old EGT probe will not work plug and play. My educated guess is that it would work if you cut the end off and wired it into the universal EAS module. EGT probes are pretty standard that way. I haven't heard of anyone trying that yet.

The EAS expansion works great for fuel pressure.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
I also have a cs and in hindsight I should have gotten the scanguage2. Way more function for a smaller price. I may sell my cs and get a scanguage.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Eh, I have both and I wouldn't call the SCII "way more" functional. SG can do x-gagues, but there's only so much you can program in; all I use it for that the CTS can't do is IPR%, EBP and an editable boost gauge, but the CTS could do fuel press and EGT if I wanted it to. Navigation on the SG can be a pain while driving, trying to count how many times you press the button before ECT comes around again sucks. Maybe 60/40 functionality to the SG over the CTS for programibility.

And the SCII is ugly. My TI-83 from middle school has better resolution, this thing looks horrible even in my Hyundai. I'm usually a function-over-form guy, but it is seriously heinous. 0/100 to the CTS in the fit and finish department. Plus I prefer the code reader on the CTS, but with 20x the screen space it had better show more info.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
While the cs reads ficm it won't until after you start the truck. Also if you know what your doing with the sg2 you can diagnose HP oil leaks and monitor a ton more then the edge. As far as how ugly it is. The reason I got the edge was for that reason. And after a year I'm over it and would prefer function.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Also if you know what your doing with the sg2 you can diagnose HP oil leaks and monitor a ton more then the edge.
What PID other than IPR% is missing from the Edge that the SG can be programmed for to diagnose HPO issues. CTS has ICP press and volts, just like the SG.

Last edited by texastech_diesel; 02-23-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: So I don't sound like an ass
Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
While the cs reads ficm it won't until after you start the truck.
Not true.

Also if you know what your doing with the sg2 you can diagnose HP oil leaks...
I did the same with the Edge CS. The SCII cannot do EGT or Fuel Pressure. I would argue that with expansions, the Edge can do a lot MORE than the SCII.

But hey, they both are valuable tools, each with positives and negatives. No point in arguing which is best. I would like to own both. But the Edge would remain mounted permanently, and the SGII would be hidden in the glove box.

I cannot imagine why you would want to downgrade to an SGII now that you've already invested in the Edge. You'll take a bath on resale. But to each his own.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
ive read up on these 2 products but i dont understand are they tuners or just monitors?? because it says you can do on the fly power changes??

Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

The ScanGauge and the Edge Insight CS/CTS are gauges only. Edge also sells the Juice with Attitude and Evolution on the same CS/CTS platform, but those are tuners.

The CTS does have the stupid "Power Level: I" on the screen, where they could put another gauge or three. But Edge didn't ask me for my opinions about better screen space utilization.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
ok next question the edge evolution it is a on the fly tuner PLUS gauge monitor right???
like an edge insight but with a tuner package also?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lee_faust2008
ok next question the edge evolution it is a on the fly tuner PLUS gauge monitor right???
like an edge insight but with a tuner package also?
That is correct. Best I can tell, the software is all the same for the Insight and the Evolution. They just "turn on" the tuner portion if you buy that package. As a gauge monitor they both perform the same.

Best advice around here is to avoid all Edge tuning for the 6.0/Torqshift.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Yes, all CS/CTS should have the full range of gauges installed in them.

Shift-on-the-fly tuning has a bad reputation for hurting the transmission (caveat: I've never done it so this is 2nd hand, but around here it comes from what I think are reliable sources), so a lot of people will say stay away from Bully Dog and Edge, and stay with SCT for the 6.0L.

PHP sells a version of the Edge Evolution called the Gryphon, I don't know if it's a SOTF tuner or not, but if you want a CS/CTS as a tuner, I think they'd be the people to call instead of going with Edge's canned stuff. Bill apparently writes some good TCM flashes, so he'd probably be able to answer questions about on-the-fly tuning affecting the trans.
http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_gryphon_cts_diesel.shtml

Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
so the SCT and the insight would be a good set up??

Quick Reply: Edge CS or CTS?