6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge CS or CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
The SCT is popular for sure, the Insights less so because the higher initial costs and the costs with expanding them (compared to a SG and a few 2" gauges being the cheapest).

But yes, that's a good pair

Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by lee_faust2008
so the SCT and the insight would be a good set up??
First thing you should do is read all you can about tuning here on FTE. Learn the pros and cons. There are no free lunches, and there are no risk free tuners/tunes.

The Insight is harmless, as long as you remember to look at the road too.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i got you.... thats what everyone has recommended is the SCT and thats what im gonna go with i was just wondering about the differences in the edge products

Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
I have the CS and if I could do it over again I'd spend the extra $100 for the CTS. I originally bought the CS not only to save money, but also because it fits better in the pod and looks factory. People always ask me if my truck came with it.

On the other hand, the CTS is nicer because you can display three "analog" style gauges, plus two smaller ones. On the CS, you only get two analog and one smaller gauge. Monitoring 5 things is much more useful than just 3. Although I should mention the CS can display up to 8 gauges at once if you don't want any of the analog style (refer to the picture posted by bpounds).

Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
ok let me ask you this if i was to go with the Edge Insight CTS... which analog gauges would i need in a pillar seperate from the Insight? because i know it doesnt read everything

Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Technically you can add anything to the CTS, it's just a matter of $$$. Fuel pressure and exhaust gas temp (EGT) are the most common two added, but you could probably do a probe for low pressure oil and a few other things. It's just the 2" gauges are normally cheaper, and the most a CS or CTS can show is 8 at a time, so putting up ECT, EOT, TFT, Volts, FICM V, EGT, fuel press, and boost maxes out the screen. If you want to show the sweep gauges, you're maxed at 5 on the screen.

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=158&pvk=443
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=160&pvk=445
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=159&pvk=444

That stuff is expensive. I have a 2" fuel press gauge, and a 2" EGT is going in soon. People say a mechanical boost is more accurate than the PCM calculation, and a real voltmeter pulls from a better place (V on the CTS lags something like .1-.4V behind checking elsewhere)

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
ok let me ask you this if i was to go with the Edge Insight CTS... which analog gauges would i need in a pillar seperate from the Insight? because i know it doesnt read everything
The only gauge I bought separate was fuel pressure. I picked up a glowshift for like $60 bucks or something, whereas the fuel pressure setup for the CTS cost $300

Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Technically you can add anything to the CTS, it's just a matter of $$$. Fuel pressure and exhaust gas temp (EGT) are the most common two added, but you can add a probe to do low pressure oil if you can wire a sending unit into a universal connector.

Editing to find links
Edge Products| Product
Edge Products| Product
Edge Products| Product

the edge website says the CTS reads enigine oil pressure?? is that not correct?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
this is everything it says it shows

Accel Pedal Position, Barometric Pressure, Battery Voltage, Corrected Speed (03-04), Engine Coolant Temp, Engine Load, Engine Oil Pressure, Engine Oil Temp, Engine RPM, Engine Run Time, FICM Voltage, Gear with TCL, ICP Pressure, Injector Pulse Width, Intake Air Temp, Mass Air Flow, Mileage Coach, MPG Instant, MPG Average, TCC Duty Cycle, Time 0-60, Time 1/4 mile, Trans Temp, Turbo Boost, Vehicle Speed (04-07), Variable Geometry Turbo Duty Cycle

Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I don't feel I need any additional gauges. Reading the 8 digitals suits me. But there are two other digitals that I would like to see, Battery Volts, and Trans Gear TCL. So I sometimes change the lower right from ICP to either of those that I want to see at any given time. It is just a few button presses to change any of the cells to another value.

If you want some standalone gauges, EGT would be a good one. Fuel pressure would be another. That would free up two cells on the Insight, and save you the cost of the EAS expansion components. Some guys really prefer an analog Boost gauge over the digital version.

The Insight cannot do engine base oil pressure, because the 6.0 PCM does not monitor base oil pressure. You can do it with the EAS expansion, but it really isn't needed on our engines.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:32 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

It'll read ICP (injector control press) out of the oil rail past the HPOP, but it won't read low pressure oil. The truck only has a Low Pressure Oil switch that reads fully open past 5-7psi, so the truck cannot read LPO through the PCM (meaning no digital gauge can get it).

Edge (and Linear Logic who makes the scangauge) put up ALL the PIDS their products can pull, they don't always say the vehicle doesn't have the sensor to actually make it work. My car doesn't have seem to have trans temp, oil temp, or oil press.... but I'm looking into it

Old 02-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Bill, how do you like having EGT on the Insight? I feel like that's one of those gauges where it would be easier to see an actual needle moving than just seeing a number. Does it jump around a lot?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ian123
Bill, how do you like having EGT on the Insight? I feel like that's one of those gauges where it would be easier to see an actual needle moving than just seeing a number. Does it jump around a lot?
I like it, no problems. The ones and tens number jumps around, but the hundreds is stable. And they are all stable when it matters, like when waiting for cool down.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bpounds
I like it, no problems. The ones and tens number jumps around, but the hundreds is stable. And they are all stable when it matters, like when waiting for cool down.
Gotcha, that will probably be my next purchase then. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bpounds
Not true.

I did the same with the Edge CS. The SCII cannot do EGT or Fuel Pressure. I would argue that with expansions, the Edge can do a lot MORE than the SCII.

But hey, they both are valuable tools, each with positives and negatives. No point in arguing which is best. I would like to own both. But the Edge would remain mounted permanently, and the SGII would be hidden in the glove box.

I cannot imagine why you would want to downgrade to an SGII now that you've already invested in the Edge. You'll take a bath on resale. But to each his own.
How can you get your unit to power up before you turn your key. To check the ficm at koeo BEFORE the initial buzz? I've owned mine for awhile I just updated it last week to the latest fusion software. And it does not turn all the way on until the truck is running. Your response was two words " not true". Please inform me of my ignorance and tell me how.

Also diagnosing HP oil leaks is pretty hard on this without the IPR pid. Yeah you can add fuel pressure and egt to the edge (I have the egt probe btw) but its retarded expensive for the fuel pressure setup. Again to each their own and we are all different. The edge would be farrr better if it had a x guage function. I would like to see my fan speeds and IPR values every now and then.

Quick Reply: Edge CS or CTS?