The Fuel Filter Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Longdistancetrucker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fuel Filter Debate

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best fuel filter brand?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use Wix/Napa Gold for pretty much everything.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
nyskills
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While you all may "enjoy" using aftermarket filters, ford reccomends motorcraft for a reason!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
go_phx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nyskills
While you all may "enjoy" using aftermarket filters, ford reccomends motorcraft for a reason!
Yes, because they don't make money if we buy Napa filters.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:10 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exactly, if anything they would encourage us to use the "evil" "bad" filters because they would make more money from all the repairs we would obviously need from all the ruined engines.

We use wix on $100K tractors I have no issues using them in my $10K car or truck.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
nyskills
New User
That is untrue. Ford Recommends motorcraft because the vehicle (including the engine) is engineered to work with genuine ford parts, and is designed to be repaired by qualified Ford technicians.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Longdistancetrucker
Senior User
That is untrue. Ford Recommends motorcraft because the vehicle (including the engine) is engineered to work with genuine ford parts, and is designed to be repaired by qualified Ford technicians.

I guess your getting ripped off when it comes to vehicle maintenance.

As with any vehicle, engine, component, ect... the part needs to be functional. It is a fact that motorcraft is nowhere near the best. There are filters that can filter out particles half the size than what motorcraft can.

You are aware that there are also aftermarket parts that ford has approved. Even when it comes to fluids, I've never put motorcraft oil, in my engine. While I do meet the specs they specify, virtually every other oil is better performing than motorcraft. And I'd be willing to bet you that 99% of ford service techs don't even put motorcraft oil, (or motorcraft parts for that matter) in their personal vehicles.

Not trying to sound like an ***, but do some product comparisons and you will easily find that there are a ton of products out there that outperform motorcraft.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Also have to gently disagree with this ^^^ as an all-inclusive statement. While its true SOME MotorCraft or Ford OEM parts somewhat out perform aftermarket items this is hardly the case all the time. Sensors are a good example where MotorCraft seem to be best items as reported here time and time again. Too many have tried using Bosch or others, creating performance and MPG issues quickly cured by switching back to Motorcraft.

It's likely Ford's spec's need to be observed but its also likely the MotorCraft-branded items aren't of the absolute best quality. I learn what's best for most applications by reading the real-world experiences of those here in FTE's forums---nothing beats hands-on advice IMHO.

Ford stealership mechanics really aren't any better due where they work or what uniform they wear. While they might have access to Ford's factory information and such any other qualified, dedicated quality-conscious mechanic is at least as good. Stealerships are all about making money, assume you'll be back "just because". In the case of warranty repairs they're unavoidable yet over and over we hear horror stories of bad experiences. The key to good repairs is shopping around, talking to others who'll enthusiastically recommend their own trusted mechanics. This is a great way to find someone reliable, fair-priced and above all else competent and knowledgeable!

There's a wealth of info here---use it to your advantage!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Longdistancetrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Also have to gently disagree with this ^^^ as an all-inclusive statement. While its true SOME MotorCraft or Ford OEM parts somewhat out perform aftermarket items this is hardly the case all the time. Sensors are a good example where MotorCraft seem to be best items as reported here time and time again. Too many have tried using Bosch or others, creating performance and MPG issues quickly cured by switching back to Motorcraft.

It's likely Ford's spec's need to be observed but its also likely the MotorCraft-branded items aren't of the absolute best quality. I learn what's best for most applications by reading the real-world experiences of those here in FTE's forums---nothing beats hands-on advice IMHO.

Ford stealership mechanics really aren't any better due where they work or what uniform they wear. While they might have access to Ford's factory information and such any other qualified, dedicated quality-conscious mechanic is at least as good. Stealerships are all about making money, assume you'll be back "just because". In the case of warranty repairs they're unavoidable yet over and over we hear horror stories of bad experiences. The key to good repairs is shopping around, talking to others who'll enthusiastically recommend their own trusted mechanics. This is a great way to find someone reliable, fair-priced and above all else competent and knowledgeable!

There's a wealth of info here---use it to your advantage!

Very Well Said

Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I put in a new motorcraft fuel filter yesterday

Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
4x41977
Senior User
I go motorcraft on most things. I have an 03 f250 and still has the original battery and checked the radiator fluid the other day and still checks in to atleast -45 F. Where the gauge topped out.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
hodges710
Senior User
Napa for one is a scam shop, they buy the same items that your smaller shops can get but charge way more money. I dont care what someone decides to use for a filter or any part for this matter, just stay away from Napa.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
CHEMMANN7411
New User
hey all can somebody tell where my fuel filter is on my 2011 f-250 xlt s/d fx4 6.2 gas

Old 02-26-2012, 01:27 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure where it is in your 6.2.. on the 5.4s, its on the driver side frame rail, on the inside, about right before the transfer case
again, this is for a 5.4, so it could be/probably is different but this is what the 5.4 fuel filter will look like

Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the fuel filters in the new trucks are in the gas tank.

Quick Reply: The Fuel Filter Debate