1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Bed liners

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Livadia
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed liners

My fiance and I are looking to get a bed liner for our 1996 F-250. It's an 8' bed.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a reasonably priced bed liner? We were thinking of the drop-ins because the interior is kinda bashed up and a spray-in liner might show the dents.

We could have it installed for us, we live in Northern CT but are willing to travel to Massachusetts or Rhode Island. Or if there are easy installation ones, we'd be interested in that too.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
I personally like spray in way better than drop in... Drops in tend to make things rust much faster because everything gets under there and stays under there. I wouldn't worry too much about it showing the dents. It is afterall, A pickup truck... I really enjoy my rhino-lining in my obs and hate the drop in liner in my superduty. I will be putting a spray in or roll on bedliner in when I replace the bed.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a drop in liner for 10 years until it finally started wearing through. Dry high alpine desert here so no rust issues. Truck was in the shop for a double deer collision so I had them do a spray in liner while the bed was off for body repairs. Spray in is definitely the way to go. Things don't slide around anymore - summer or winter - as they used to on the drop in. It is easier to dent the bed without the drop in but the benefits out weigh the drawbacks to the spray in liner.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Livadia
Junior User
Thanks. Will the spray-in mask the dents in the back? Do you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?

Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
1976biggreen
Freshman User
do it yourself if your gonna roll it on. and the dents wont be masked but they wont stand out

Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 PM
1976biggreen
Freshman User
or if you have a paint gun you could mask everything and spray it yourself

Old 02-18-2012, 05:50 PM
matowns21
Senior User
I just done one with rhino roll on and it looks really good. Not too much texture and was only like 100$ at oreilly auto. The kit has everything you need.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've got the DIY roll on version. The spray in is a much better option. If you know the dents are there, then you will be able to see them. For those who don't know they are there, they usually don't notice.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Livadia
Junior User
I should take a picture. They aren't dents, they're like craters.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Livadia
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordpride
Isn't that just the bottom? I'm looking for something that covers the sides, too...

Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It covers the the sides, front, tail gate and bottom

Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Livadia
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordpride
It covers the the sides, front, tail gate and bottom
Worth looking into - thank you.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
plessasrdjr
Senior User
Originally Posted by matowns21
I just done one with rhino roll on and it looks really good. Not too much texture and was only like 100$ at oreilly auto. The kit has everything you need.
SEM products has a great product called Rock it Liner. This is a spray in liner which I have used and love. The kit comes with a spray gun too. I have found this to be very durable and really cleaned up by bed. It was only about $100 on ebay (the local dealer wanted $140...huh?!?!) Anyways, do this before you do a drop in.

SEM Products :: Rock-It Liner

Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Drop ins cover the entire bed its just a question if you want over the side rails or under the side rails, the front of the drop in bed liners by cab always goes over the rail unless you cut it off. It's up to you if you want a "plastic" removable liner or a more permanent sprayed on or roll / brushed on liner.
Drop in liner advantages: Can find for cheap or free used on local CL cause a lot of guys don't like them. Cheaper than a professionaly sprayed on liner. Can install yourself w/ a couple of sheet metal screws / bolts for over the rail or drop it in & tuck under for under the rails. Usually around $150 (or less) new @ most automotive parts stores.
Drop in liner disadvantages: Under EXTREME weather / temp conditions they may deform, warp, buckel, or crack. They trap dirt & debree underneath & s/b pulled out 2X a year to clean it out underneath (I used to wax the bed & reinstall). Many claim they promote rust / rot of the bed faster.
Spray / brush / roll on liner advantages: Clean install if preped properly & doesen't chip, flake, or peel. Brush / roll on cost because it can be DIY if you have the time, space & ability to do the job & don't mind getting messy. Pro spray on can pick color & you just drop it off & pick it up. Can be easily repaired.
Spray / brush / roll on disadvantages: Only covers what you have, thickness determines what it can hide. Spray- cost, down time, scheduling, because someone else has to do it or you have to have the time, space, ability, & equipment to do it yourself. Brush / roll on you have to do everything prep, mask, do, cleanup. If the job is not preped correctly it will chip, flake, & peel DIY or fly by night pro.
Ask around for people who have each in your area. If you find a Pro to spray one in ask for customers names that he's done. Then call them & go look @ their trucks. Also find some that are a few years old.
I think a drop in is what you are looking for right now & that should work for you for now. My $.02

Quick Reply: Bed liners