1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM
safari1957
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat housing

I changed my thermostat and radiator hoses about 8 months ago and used a chrome "Mr. Gasket" water neck housing. Its leaking now, but I am going to replace water pump soon anyway, so I am not that upset. However, I am thinking it may be my fault and not the part. I used both the gasket and the rubber o-ring - was that a mistake? A third party who I thought knew told me to use both. Also, I am thinking of getting an aluminum neck from summit:

CVR TSH7R - CVR Thermostat Housings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Has anyone here used an aluminum water neck with an O ring? Or should I just stick with the cast iron one with just a gasket?

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
The chrome likes to corroded underneath and swell up. That usually causes a leak.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I fought the same leak for about 3 years because of cheap aftermarket thermostat housings that never seem to seal right. After my third replacement leaked, I finally spent double the money and bought an original FORD one that was made from aluminum that hasn't leaked since.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM
safari1957
New User
Thanks

The only thermostate housing I've seen from ford is cast iron.... im thinking of this housing:

don't mind spending the money if it lasts...

you happen to have part # or link to ford aluminum housing?

Thanks..
Kelly

Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by safari1957
What engine and what year?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The only thermostate housing I've seen from ford is cast iron.... im thinking of this housing:

don't mind spending the money if it lasts...

Thanks..
Kelly
Ouch! $93 for a thermostat housing is about 10x the cost I would expect. I haven't used aftermarket, but I would go to the salvage and get a Ford unit. The only caveat is that the aluminum ones, and Ford did make them, may well be corroded if the PO didn't run anti-freeze. So, the safest way would be to pull an iron one, but if you pull an Al one check it out closely before paying for it.

But, if you are bucks-up and want new, Amazon lists this one for $23.96 and free shipping to Prime customers: Four Seasons 84884 Water Outlet It looks to be aluminum and is for a small-block, which is what the one you linked to is for, so I assume that is what you have.

Better yet, O'Reillys lists this one for $11.49: Murray 84884 - Water Outlet | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Oddly enough, the pictures look the same.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These water inlet housings are a little bit fickle to install. It is easy for the thermostat to fall out of place during the re assembly. This will cause a leak b/c it doesnt allow the seal surfaces to meet properly. Another issue it causes is breaking the inlet itself when you tighten it down.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
These water inlet housings are a little bit fickle to install. It is easy for the thermostat to fall out of place during the re assembly. This will cause a leak b/c it doesnt allow the seal surfaces to meet properly. Another issue it causes is breaking the inlet itself when you tighten it down.
Amen! I think it is necessary to use a sef-adhesive gasket to hold the 'stat in. And, while it is ok to use sealer on the backside of the gasket, don't do so on the front side as the adhesive doesn't like that.

Also, on the stock units at least the bolts vary in length from side-to-side and swapping them will create a leak.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bruno2
This is yet another area where the aftermarket doesn't get Ford parts right.

The OEM Ford thermostat housing has two sides on the opening where the thermostat goes that has more material to help hold the thermostat in place.

The OEM Ford thermostat will have a special flange on the thermostat itself that will actually lock the OEM thermostat into the OEM housing if you turn it clockwise. This makes it real easy to bolt the thermostat housing as an assembly to the intake manifold without having to worry about the thermostat slipping put of place and causing a leak or a cracked housing.

This is another reason why I usually insist on OEM Ford parts!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
This is yet another area where the aftermarket doesn't get Ford parts right.

The OEM Ford thermostat housing has two sides on the opening where the thermostat goes that has more material to help hold the thermostat in place.

The OEM Ford thermostat will have a special flange on the thermostat itself that will actually lock the OEM thermostat into the OEM housing if you turn it clockwise. This makes it real easy to install the thermostat housing as an assembly to the intake manifold without having to worry about the thermostat slipping put of place and causing a leak or a cracked housing.

This is another reason why I usually insist on OEM Ford parts!
Lariat - I think there are exceptions to that rule. The two '82 351W's I had both had thermostat housings that didn't have the slots for the 'stat to turn into. In fact, I wasn't aware that some/most of the housings have that feature until Chris pointed it out to me.

I know those were Ford housings as they said so. But, I don't know why they were different, although I'm guessing it was because the intake manifolds were aluminum. Yep, they said Ford and had the firing order, but both were aluminum. Chris hadn't even heard of aluminum manifolds until last week, but he did find them in the parts catalog. Anyway, I'm guessing these thermostat housings were different because the manifolds were different, but I don't know that.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
I guess what I said above only applies to the 5.0/302 motors then.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
safari1957
New User
t-stat housing

Originally Posted by ctubutis
What engine and what year?
1986 lariat with 302 5.0 fuel injected...

Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
One of things Lariat mentioned was using Ford OEM parts, that would include the thermostat which would have the little ears on it for attaching to the housing.

I had a 351Wheezer in my 1970 Mustang and have vague recollections of this problem (getting the thermostat to stay) but that was 30+ years ago and the memories are a bit hazy at this point.

1986 lariat with 302 5.0 fuel injected...
I'm glad you spoke up and gave your engine specs, that Summit thing says it's for a 351W but you apparently have a 302 EFI.

Know what? There are -0- available for some of the 351Ws (unless maybe the part number has been changed, would need ND for that) but there are some available for the 302 EFI!

But, they're pricey - although no more pricey than those fancy colored aluminum things for $100....

C9OZ-8592-C CONNECTION - WATER OUTLET Fits 1985/89 E-F150/250 & Bronco w/302 EFI; 1988/89 E-F150/350 & Bronco w/351W [Both use the Motorcraft RT1052 thermostat] (this book goes only to 1989, may also fit later years but I can't verify that)
The book doesn't say if they're aluminum or iron or plastic or whatever, only that they're obsolete.

Our sponsor Ford Parts - www.partsguyed.com says they can get this for you (buy from their web site).... MSRP $138.62 Your price $83.17

Some other places:

Klimesh Motor Sales Calmar, IA 52132 Tel. 563-562-3241 has 1

Dennis Carpenter Concord Ford CONCORD, NC 28027 Tel. 704-786-8139 has 11

Dale Carter Ford Inc Eaton, OH Tel. (937) 456-4105 has 1 <-- I don't usually do this, but I suggest you call these people first and see what their price is

Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Something I see done way to often is over tightening and warping the housing ... Especially on the aftermarket chrome shop junk!

Typically, when I got leaker, I flatten/clean it on a surface plate, then spray a thin coat of K&W Copper Coat to both sides of the gasket, not over tighten, leak solved!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The I6 300 housing also has slots that allow the thermostat to be twisted into a locked-in position for easy assembly.

When I changed my T-stat I found the Motorcraft gasket was much thicker and obviously higher quality than the no-name brand gasket. The no-name brand was 3x cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Thermostat housing