302 suggested item selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
my93
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 suggested item selection

In a separate post I listed a 302 rebuild. Here I'm looking for suggested new item manufacturers to engine items -

Looking at rebuilding the 302 roller engine out of my 93 f150 (E40d) (E7 heads) with about 170,000 mi.

1. Using all internals from motor into new rebuild. I have a virgin 302 roller block (standard bore) and intend on using my old pistons/crank/cam if they are found in good condition,meaning journals, grooves, skirts etc are ok.

What molly rings (seal power) and bearings (clevlite) would you suggest

2. What roller cam upgrade would be advisable for 80% street use, 10% towing use. I know the one I have now is not the best for this year engine.
Would the injector sizes remain the same with the upgrade cam. Would any of this effect the onboard computer and fuel system were I would have to modify or upgrade it.

Any other items you might suggest to get - oil pump, Mellings?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Beechkid
Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by my93
In a separate post I listed a 302 rebuild. Here I'm looking for suggested new item manufacturers to engine items -

Looking at rebuilding the 302 roller engine out of my 93 f150 (E40d) (E7 heads) with about 170,000 mi.

1. Using all internals from motor into new rebuild. I have a virgin 302 roller block (standard bore) and intend on using my old pistons/crank/cam if they are found in good condition,meaning journals, grooves, skirts etc are ok.

What molly rings (seal power) and bearings (clevlite) would you suggest

2. What roller cam upgrade would be advisable for 80% street use, 10% towing use. I know the one I have now is not the best for this year engine.
Would the injector sizes remain the same with the upgrade cam. Would any of this effect the onboard computer and fuel system were I would have to modify or upgrade it.

Any other items you might suggest to get - oil pump, Mellings?

Thanks
Mellings for the oil pump, with regards to the cam.....Considering the cam has such critical importance to the engines performance and life, to me it makes sense to get the cam checked & re-ground.....and use a cam grinder who will talk with you directly- even modify the cam grind to fit your needs. With regards to price...the difference is nil- especially considering its cheap insurance to know exactly who is machining such a critical part for your engine. And remember, advertized lift/duration/lobe separation is just that- advertized and not the specific grind including ramp profile that is used on the cam.

That is why I highly recommend Iskenderian & Crower & Chet Herbert & Lunati...all are family owned, been grinding cams for decades, and both will even re-grind your oem cam if possible- saving you even more $.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM
my93
Mountain Pass
Thanks, will consider the cam regrind or new one. Roller rockers lifters seem to have that pink bunny thing about lasting. I have never seen a roller rocker
lifter in a street engine fail or even bear wearing signs. Since its surface just tracks a path rather turning on a path helps the face surface last longer.

I guess clevite bearings is the choice for the ford engines.
Seal power rings for the oem pistons.

Any other suggestions or input for the rebuild. thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Looks like you are headed down the right path with your build. Like posted if you going to use your old cam, have it checked out real good. But with you doing a complete rebuild and since your going to be towing with it a step or 2 over the stock cam size will not effect your fuel system or computer. Id call some companies and talk to the tech guys. I talked to the comp cam guy and he was very helpful in what I wanted to do on my build. I would go melling on the oil pump to. Just make sure you get a standard pressure oil pump because they have a high volume pump with standard pressure. A friend of mine put a high pressure pump in a regular oil pan and it ended up messing his crank up. It starved it of oil, just one of those things you learn from.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 984 Likes on 776 Posts
Comp 35-512-8 is my cam upgrade suggestion for an SD EFI roller 5.0 truck motor.. no fueling or computer changes necessary, also use Ford Motorsports steel core/rubber coated 1-piece oilpan and valve cover gaskets and you will never have a leak at those junctions. Do NOT use a high volume oilpump on the rebuild, but DO have the block and full rotating assembly inspected by a machine shop, have them true any parts that need it and then order bearings, pistons and rings.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
my93
Mountain Pass
Thanks. Yes I intend to speak to a cam manf about the probability of redoing my cam and or changing to Comp. model like Paul suggested. I have talked to Paul here before some time ago about my F 150 and he as well as others seem to know by experience from their F 150 (very similar to mine and use it likewise) what really works well for the dollar value.
I really can't see making "major" changes for a little more torque/hp for what I use my truck for. It's done well towing a 2500# boat trailer and material over the years. I've ordered the truck as it is now. A little more torque and hp would be an improvement of what it is now and I would rather do the smart economical upgrades without going overboard with a lot of expense just to say I have a lot more "hp" that I really don't need with this trucks engine/drivetrain combo. A little more yeah. I think ford should had the 351 as the min/ V8 installed in the F 150. To do a remove and replace to a 351 would be too much of an expense and time consuming effort for me now.

I am in the process of laying out a 51 chevy truck overhaul for myself now which will use up all my extra time and cash real soon. The F 150 is my go to transportation for towing and hauling. It's black (XLT) and a beauty of a truck with many conpliments given often.