Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cooper ST Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 PM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooper ST Maxx

Anyone running these yet? They look like a good mix of an AT and MT. They replaced the ST-C and are now their commercial traction tire. The 285/75R16 looks way more aggressive in person then the tire they show on their site.

CooperTiresConsumer - Discoverer S/T MAXX™

Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Looks like a good tire, may be a little loud on the road.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Originally Posted by DISLFVR
Looks like a good tire, may be a little loud on the road.
So far the reviews I found say it is really quite. Tire noise don't bother me much anyway, I'm just looking for a tire with decent wear, good highway manners, decent mpg's and can survive the gravel roads, that at least stands a chance of getting in and out of what gets called trailer parking around here. Being US made and headquartered here in Ohio helped Cooper to top of list. Not being owned by Goodyear makes it one of the few US tires I will run.

I know that's a tall order, maybe even getting into the range of the perfect, magical, non-existent tire, but it's not to bad. If get 40k, can take a corner at the posted speed, not lose any mpg over the mud tires I have now and not have pieces of tread missing after ever trip on gravel, I will be happy.

Being from Ohio I'm sure you've ran into the "you want me to park where" parking situation.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd try that tire for sure if they made a 37... Hell if they made a 35 I might run it. Good looking tire.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Originally Posted by kawcrasher

Being from Ohio I'm sure you've ran into the "you want me to park where" parking situation.
Yes sometimes,, lol.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

I can't say much about the S/T MAXX, but I have the S/T's on my truck. They have about 9K on them and still look like new, noise isn't bad at all and traction in all conditions so far has been excellent.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been running the S/T Maxx 265/75/16 on my truck for almost 10,000 miles now, and i love them. They do hum a little which i dont mind at all, and if you have ever been in a truck with STTs it is nothing like that. Ive had them rotated once and will again soon, and i really dont see any wear yet. Doing awesome in the snow, sand, dry pavement, rain, and so good in the mud that some of my friends were surprised i got as far as i did in a field. Really like this tire, just wish they made it bigger than a 285/75/16.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

When my dually needs them I may go with the Discoverer A/T3.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Just put a set of the Cooper H/T on mine and they are great-Track good & very quiet

Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Originally Posted by acf6
Ive been running the S/T Maxx 265/75/16 on my truck for almost 10,000 miles now, and i love them. They do hum a little which i dont mind at all, and if you have ever been in a truck with STTs it is nothing like that. Ive had them rotated once and will again soon, and i really dont see any wear yet. Doing awesome in the snow, sand, dry pavement, rain, and so good in the mud that some of my friends were surprised i got as far as i did in a field. Really like this tire, just wish they made it bigger than a 285/75/16.

Just what I was hoping the hear.

That is about what I was seeing on the Yota sites (those guy's really like to review tires) but wasn't sure how well it would apply to a SD weighing close to 2.5 times as much. You should only be about 1000-1500 pounds lighter then me.

What tire did you have before and did the MPG's take a hit going to the Maxx's? I'm guessing from your review that you agree with the claim that they combined the best parts of an AT and MT, and managed to leave out the bad?

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford79
I can't say much about the S/T MAXX, but I have the S/T's on my truck. They have about 9K on them and still look like new, noise isn't bad at all and traction in all conditions so far has been excellent.
If the maxx wasn't out and replacing the ST-C it would most likely be going on my truck. The gravel roads around eat standard ST's pretty fast. The ST-C was the same tire, but with a different compound to combat chipping for commercial/mine use. It seems MT's and commercial tires that specifically say "cut and chip resistant" are all that survive the gravel around here. I've run ST's before and they always find traction long after most AT's fail.

Originally Posted by DISLFVR
Yes sometimes,, lol.
The last 5 times I have been out the parking/camping area has consisted of 3 hay fields, 1 log landing and 1 freshly pushed flat cut into a hill side. All but 1 was at least 20 ft higher or lower than the road and it either rained the whole weekend or the the day we were leaving all five times. Fun.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by kawcrasher
Just what I was hoping the hear.

That is about what I was seeing on the Yota sites (those guy's really like to review tires) but wasn't sure how well it would apply to a SD weighing close to 2.5 times as much. You should only be about 1000-1500 pounds lighter then me.

What tire did you have before and did the MPG's take a hit going to the Maxx's? I'm guessing from your review that you agree with the claim that they combined the best parts of an AT and MT, and managed to leave out the bad?

Thanks.
Before this i had 235/85/16 E general grabber TRs and i didnt really notice any drop in mileage. These tires are pretty stable but i mean if you swing your truck side to side and make the entire thing sway, then you can feel some tire flex. But if you are just going around a corner or something then i really dont notice any tire flex.
Id say they combined the two, i really like this tire and it has a pretty aggresive tread and side tread which i enjoy. Everyone comments on how good this tire looks. I cant speak much for gravel roads, but in vermont our house is on a gravel road and i drive around on a lot of dirt/gravel roads and my tires are fine after it. They do pick up little stones though, nothing ridiculous but be prepared for a few

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have the st max (285/75/16's) on my son's OBS. Absolutely love them.If I could get at least 35's I would run these. Seem to be wearing great.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Originally Posted by acf6
Before this i had 235/85/16 E general grabber TRs and i didnt really notice any drop in mileage. These tires are pretty stable but i mean if you swing your truck side to side and make the entire thing sway, then you can feel some tire flex. But if you are just going around a corner or something then i really dont notice any tire flex.
Id say they combined the two, i really like this tire and it has a pretty aggresive tread and side tread which i enjoy. Everyone comments on how good this tire looks. I cant speak much for gravel roads, but in vermont our house is on a gravel road and i drive around on a lot of dirt/gravel roads and my tires are fine after it. They do pick up little stones though, nothing ridiculous but be prepared for a few
Thanks, again. Once I get wheels I got cleaned up I will be picking up set. All the shops around here are $1000-1100 out the door with balance bags.

To show why I'm so paranoid about gravel. These are the Goodyear MTR's I took off about 4 months ago, to put my old, bald, but round tires back on. The only good thing about these tires was that I made $145 off the the deal. Got them used with nearly full tread, but wore on the inside edge. All the chunks and cuts are from 6 months or so on my truck. I wish I had a Picture of the Bridgestone's the went from new to belts in about 200yds of the tires slipping while pulling a trailer up a hill with my old van.

These are the wheels the Cooper's will be going on. Most likely the will get Plasti-dipped satin black. It just peals off if I don't like and will seal and protect the wheels from chips.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

My 265/75/16 were $1084 out the door i believe

Quick Reply: Cooper ST Maxx