Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Guys who have Glowshift gauges:

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
WA_PSD
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JMW8760
Looks nice! i'm about to install the same set up...do you have any tips for me?
Get a type R drill bit with an 1/8th NPT tap to drill both your turbo intake and your egt probe.
The tube for your boost gauge is short, mount it at the bottom or 2nd. I did mine on the top and struggled, but it worked.
The support staff is great and answered every time I called with questions. I hear they are good at exchanges even if out of the 1 year warranty.
Take your time! It took me about 6-8 hours including 4 trips to the store for supplies. I'm slow too. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
JMW8760
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"mount it at the bottom or 2nd. I did mine on the top and struggled"
Bottom or 2nd of what? what did you struggle with? where did u put the egt?
thanks for the info

Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
WA_PSD
Tuned
"mount it at the bottom or 2nd. I did mine on the top and struggled"
Bottom or 2nd of what? what did you struggle with? where did u put the egt?
thanks for the info
Sorry, had few beers watching the game. On the a-pillar, mount the boost gauge on the bottom or 2nd or 3rd (top) if you like, just not much tubing as far as length to work with between the gauge and the intake. I had a hard time with the length mounting it on the top spot. You can mount it there, be careful or mount it lower in the 1st or 2nd spot and mount your egt or tran. gauge up top. the EGT gauge had tons of wire to work with.

Here is where I mounted my boost, EGT, and tranny.

3-Gauge Install Pictures

3-Gauge Install Pictures

3-Gauge Install Pictures

Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM
JMW8760
New User
Originally Posted by WA_PSD
Sorry, had few beers watching the game. On the a-pillar, mount the boost gauge on the bottom or 2nd or 3rd (top) if you like, just not much tubing as far as length to work with between the gauge and the intake. I had a hard time with the length mounting it on the top spot. You can mount it there, be careful or mount it lower in the 1st or 2nd spot and mount your egt or tran. gauge up top. the EGT gauge had tons of wire to work with.

Here is where I mounted my boost, EGT, and tranny.

3-Gauge Install Pictures

3-Gauge Install Pictures

3-Gauge Install Pictures
One more question...When you drilled for the boost ..what did you do about the metal shavings? any tips? Thanks you for all the info!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM
WA_PSD
Tuned
One more question...When you drilled for the boost ..what did you do about the metal shavings? any tips? Thanks you for all the info!
No problem man. I put a rag in my intake after I pulled the cold side boot off (left). When I got done I carefully pulled it out and put a shop vac up in there. Also on it and the egt drill, I used about 6 drill bits stating small so the shavings would be tiny.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also drilled my intake, and carefully removed the shavings, same thing on the exhaust.
Keep the shavings small, try to suck out what you can, and go with it.
No problems with either.

Tom.
01 F250 CC 4x4 7.3 204k.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
if worried about the shavings, the spider assy takes about 10min to remove and set on a workbench...

Or, depending on your climate as to where you live, you can install one of these, and by doing so, have an extra relay for if/when your GPR relay decides to go south...

Riffraff Diesel: RDP AIH Tapped Fitting

Riffraff Diesel: RDP AIH Delete/ Mechanical Boost Line

Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
JMW8760
New User
Originally Posted by WA_PSD
No problem man. I put a rag in my intake after I pulled the cold side boot off (left). When I got done I carefully pulled it out and put a shop vac up in there. Also on it and the egt drill, I used about 6 drill bits stating small so the shavings would be tiny.
I got the gauges wires hooked up last night have a couple more questions for ya... Do your gauges dim with the dimmer? When you drilled your egt did you use a small bit then suck out the shavings then bigger bit then suck out shaving till you got to the correct size?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Yes and yes.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
JMW8760
New User
humm mine dont dim...ill have to look at it again

Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
WA_PSD
Tuned
I got the gauges wires hooked up last night have a couple more questions for ya... Do your gauges dim with the dimmer? When you drilled your egt did you use a small bit then suck out the shavings then bigger bit then suck out shaving till you got to the correct size?
No and No.

These gauges do not dim with the dimmer and you do not want to hook them up to the dimmer wire, will not work properely. Hook them up to your headlight wire behind your headlight switch. I can't remember the color now but just use a volt meter and find it by turning the headlights on and off. The gauges dim 30% when you turn your lights on and really does help.

I just drilled a bunch of times working my way up to type R, then tapped and vaccumed at the end, but that's just me.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
scottddove
Elder User
I am really glad I found this post. I just received my new glow shift guages and plan on beginning the task of install in the next day or so. I was wondering where to get the power from as well, is the headlight wire the agreed on wire to get power from? I went for the 4 guage pod and went with the tinted style guages. How do you get the guages mounted in the pod? do you use the black bevel piece that comes with the guages? can't see how you get the metal u shaped fastener in seems way to tight to be able to use.I will be installing trans temp,water temp,exaust gas temp,and I also opted for the digital gs-tco2 air fuel ratio/boost gauge. Can I even use the air fuel ratio part of the gauge with the 7.3? I guess I am hijacking the thread but maybe others have same questions. One more thing what is the common method of attaching the gauge pod to the factory pod? (supplied screws and caps?)

Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM
the truth
Junior User
I have the 3 in 1 and they work fine, they do have glare in the day. Probably not the white one's.
But for the price, they function and serve the purpose I bought them for.

I however did NOT go by GlowShifts install instructions as far as what and where to drill for the boost or egt.
I asked my diesel mechanic and for the EGT drill the exhaust manifold as close as you can to the motor. No worries about vaccuming anything out & will give you the most accurate reading.

I will take pics and post them today.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 618 Likes on 384 Posts
Originally Posted by the truth
I have the 3 in 1 and they work fine, they do have glare in the day. Probably not the white one's.
But for the price, they function and serve the purpose I bought them for.

I however did NOT go by GlowShifts install instructions as far as what and where to drill for the boost or egt.
I asked my diesel mechanic and for the EGT drill the exhaust manifold as close as you can to the motor. No worries about vaccuming anything out & will give you the most accurate reading.

I will take pics and post them today.

You still need to vacuum it out... otherwise any metal chips will go through your turbo.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ToMang07
You still need to vacuum it out... otherwise any metal chips will go through your turbo/engine.
Please explain to me how shavings would get into the motor from a Pyro install? I'm very curious to this...

Quick Reply: Guys who have Glowshift gauges: