6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Super OT, My Motorcycle,, but this forum is the best I belong to

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super OT, My Motorcycle,, but this forum is the best I belong to

Hey all -

Yes I know I am way OT but since it is related to my 6.0, saving hard earned money and diesel thought I would post here and see what happens.

In an effort to save some money and grocery getter trips in my 6.0, I bought a 2003 Suzuki Bandit , inline 4 motorcycle, its got 2300 miles on it and is in great shape and I got it cheap because it has some carb problems.

It fires and will idle with full choke and will rev a bit but then it dies out, i.e. running really lean, so I figured gummed up dirty carbs, I pulled them off today and soaked them real good in carb cleaner, ran copper cleaner wires through the jets, bolted everything back up and it still runs funky, better but not rideable.

I doesn't appear to have any leaks in the intakes, its 100% stock, I have spark and new correct plugs, new battery, I'm stumped for the day ...

Any one here know Jap bikes ? Or should we just figure out how to slice a cylinder or two off a 6.0 and stuff it in there....

Thanks

T

Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, inline 4 so I am going to assume 4 carbs?

The best luck I have had with carbs is I always went to Napa, Got a gallon of carb cleaner, take all the jets out of the carb all the screws every little piece I could.

Let it soak over night.

Now, I doubt you could soak the entire carb, well you can probably do one at a time over night..but that would take 4 nights.

BUT I thought ive done good jobs cleaning carbs with carb cleaner, but youll be amazed how the carb looks coming out of that from being in it over night. They look new!

Now, as far as adjusting them to have them all in sync is a P.I.T.A.

Need all the idle screws to be exact, more importantly the AIR/FUEL mixture screws need to be EXACTLY the same and to the right amount of turn(s) out.

I do this a lot with quads and dirtbikes, they are usually 2.5 turns, but they only have one carb SOMETIMES 2. Get a OEM book on it they should tell you exactly what they need to be...

What exactly is the bike doing?

Make sure nothings missing from the carbs after you took them out/apart....and that there is no air leaks(from the intake tubes which you said they were good) and make sure the air filter is clean/fresh good gas/ spark plugs.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
John Diem
Senior User
Clean the pilot Jets check to make sure you can see through them.The pilot jets are the little ones. On some Hondas they cannot be removed but that is your problem.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Thanks Guys, I guess I know what my day looks like tomorrow...

I did soak them today but I did not pull all the jets because I didn't have a manual to put them back together in any correct settings.

I will jump back in tomorrow and report back.

As usual the fordtrucks crowd comes through ...

Thanks

T

Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
John Diem
Senior User
Air fuel Set screw most likely should be 1.5 turns. If no one has messed with Carbs Synchronizing won't help you can check under slides with small (Very small drill) should be same. 25yrs and hundreds of bikes never saw a bike that synchronizing fixed.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
John Diem
Senior User
Two Jets per Carb Main & Pilot Pull fuel bowl check for crud if you can chew gum you can do this.Also make sure fresh gas and pet **** screen not plugged on tank Also check tank vent. But pilot jets still your best bet

Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Change the gas out for new gas while youz at it, mix the tank with stay-bil as well as this will also help clean out the crid. Works on the genny Honda, works on the quads and snowmobiles, works every time. Best thing to do is turn each pilot jet in lightly, measure turns on all 4 carbs. Set them back at average. Now do the same with main jets, now set at average after the overnight soak. As above, Check fuel valve, screens, ect. If it don't start, pump that throttle a few times. Don't over choke it and charge the battery between long cranks so you don't kill it. Once it's idling, you can tune er up. If you are drinking beer and tuning, my experienc, don't drive until next day

Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would polish the valve seats with metal polish and a drimel tool. Make it perfect. Clean it up put the new needle in. Clean the different idol passages out with a good carb spray. and compressor. I would then put a carb stick and see if it can be adjusted... Hard to tell without being there. I have 93 Kawasaki that I have been through many times.

Daniel

Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had 5 inline 4 bikes, and it's always the same problem, carbs are either not synced or dirty or not properly mixing, something. And it's a pita to get them on and off. These days, 1600cc v-twin with single carb on top, nice and big and easy to get to, but I haven't had a problem since I rejetted it and cleaned it up and sat it on there, and that was 2000 miles ago, but I only did it because I had the engine apart to replace hte cams, so I thought I'd clean everything else up. Single carb on a v-twin or efi, inline 4 with carbs has been a nightmare for most everyone I heard that has one. And they make a v-twin bandit, the sv650, and 2004+ it's fuel injected.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:14 AM
pappy42
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start with fresh gas in a clean tank. Then I would make sure that the fuel supply valve and lines are flowing properly. The float bowls should be filling, then shutting off. After that, it's a matter of getting the various jets and passages clean.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 AM
tr0y
Tuned
Thanks all, I did drain the tank, cleaned petcock, I do have good fuel flow, so it is back to the carbs, this time with pulling the jets and soaking them clean and making sure I can set hey are all clear.

Let's see how far I get before the pre game activities start.

T

Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Hey all-

Pilot jets were solid with black crud, everything pulled apart and sitting in cups of berrymans, used individual containers so the right jets went into the carb they came out of.

Will report back in a few days, have to work so it will slow down the reassembly and testing.

Thanks again

T

Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Success! Carbs cleaned and back on the bike, a couple of victory laps around the neighborhood later running solid, no choke. Still need to dial in the idle as it doesn't want to idle, but it's getting dark and there is BBQ to eat, beer to drink, and football to watch..

Thanks all

T

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats! those 4 carbs are a PIA. where you able to balance them with a carb stick? I do that as part of my yearly tune up...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 AM
tr0y
Tuned
I ran out of daylight, to get into the sync, so that will hopefully happen this week as I figure out the idle issue as well

Thanks

T

Quick Reply: Super OT, My Motorcycle,, but this forum is the best I belong to