Sponsored by:

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Brakes

So I am just starting to hear the squealers on my front brakes...time to start pricing brakes.

I've heard a lot about EBC YellowStuff pads. I priced out EBC rotors and was given $681 for front rotors and labor (excluding pads) and $683 for rear rotors and labor (no pads). They excluded pads since they were special order (PepBoys).

I'm not entirely sold on slotted/drilled rotors. I've only had one real "glass over" with my brakes and that was a panic stop on the freeway, so I'm not sold that I need those. I do roll on response calls, but we don't roll code, so I don't think I need uber braking, just pads for a heavy SUV that tows between 7k and 10k occasionally.

So...a few questions:
1) Do you have to use EBC pads on EBC rotors? Anyone using EBC YellowStuff pads on OEM rotors?
2) If my rotors can be turned (I think they can - just checked them out when doing the V/Modded B swap and they looked pretty good)...can I use EBC's on freshly turned rotors?
3) What other brakes do you guys recommend? This is the first brake job on my Excursion, and my Expedition was fine using Pep Boys platinum pads...but that was a lot lighter.

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
I've heard a lot about EBC YellowStuff pads. I priced out EBC rotors and was given $681 for front rotors and labor (excluding pads) and $683 for rear rotors and labor (no pads). They excluded pads since they were special order (PepBoys).
You're not gonna do your own brakes?

1) Do you have to use EBC pads on EBC rotors? Nope.
2) If my rotors can be turned (I think they can - just checked them out when doing the V/Modded B swap and they looked pretty good)...can I use EBC's on freshly turned rotors? Yes.
3) What other brakes do you guys recommend? Hawk LTS pads and a quality rotor, if needed.
Stewart

Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You're not gonna do your own brakes?
Not this time - since the rotors will most likely need turned, figured I'd let them do all the work. If they need replaced, I'll do them myself...but I don't know how the prior owner treated the brakes.

Do you use the Hawk pads? Thoughts on how they run while you tow?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Hawk LTS pads, front and rear, on OEM discs. Stopping power is exactly where it needs to be. I don't tow so I can't comment on that.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 AM
tims01
Elder User
$300 ebay baby .. but we already have been down this road b4 lolol [FRONT + REAR KIT] 4 DRILLED SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS AND 8 CERAMIC PADS 4WD 4X4 | eBay

im still running mine with no problems what so ever

Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Not this time - since the rotors will most likely need turned, figured I'd let them do all the work. If they need replaced, I'll do them myself...but I don't know how the prior owner treated the brakes.

Do you use the Hawk pads? Thoughts on how they run while you tow?
Well, if you do them yourself, you can make sure they're done correctly, plus, you can address other maintenance items like the caliper slide pins... Welcome to guzzle's Front Caliper Slide Pin Upgrade Web , front needle hub lubrication... Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page , autolock hub lube.... Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page , rear hub seal and parking brake maintenance... Welcome to camodown's Rear Hub Seals and Parking Brake repairs

As for the Hawk pads, once, on a two lane freeway, while coming up on a semi tractor-trailer rig very fast (I was travelling at 70 plus, he was behind a very slow moving vehicle, going 50 maybe), the rig changed lanes so fast, it was like an emergency lane change. He cut me off while we were crossing a bridge with zero shoulder to escape to, so I had no other options except to hope the brakes would stop me in time. I had both feet on the brake pedal with my whole weight standing on it. I put the Excursion so far on it's nose I thought for sure I was gonna scrape the bumper.

I couldn't believe how well the brakes responded.

I'm also running the cryo treated Powerslot rotors with the Hawk LTS pads.

As for towing, there is zero fade towing my 10k lb travel-trailer.

I've been using Hawk pads for years, but have always wanted to try the EBC pads.

Stewart

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I have always wanted to try Carbotech pads. I called them once to get some for the Ex but the pads had to be made for the Excursion application. They only had the rear pads in stock. If I remember correctly, I even spoke with one of the owners so customer service was awesome. Might want to give them a call and see what they say. (Carbotech Performance Brakes)

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I use EBC's on the cheapest rotors on the planet and they work better for me than the powerslot hawk combo did. Love them.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have EBC Yellow Stuff but use the stock rotors and they seem to work well together. I did have my rotors turned when I installed the pads. That was about 500 miles ago.

I had a similar experience to Stewart the day AFTER I did the brakes. I was towing the TT down to get it inspected and was just pulling onto the Freeway behind a Van (running about 50 MPH). Some guy lost control of his Harley (I ride one as well) doing a quick lane change in front of the Van.

The Van slammed on his brakes, I slammed on mine (remembering the trailer was behind me!) and stopped about 12 inches from his rear bumper. No one got hurt even though the Biker ended up in the bushed on the median.

Good Brakes Are A Must!!!!

D

Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
The Hawk LTS pads are working great for me as well. I would replace the rotors vs. having them turned. I used Napa Ultra Premiums in the front and Premiums in the rear and have had no issues in 2 years.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM
bigwhitetruck01
Senior User
IMHO, hawk lts pads and powerslot cryo treat rotors. I've used the cryo treated rotors on my car for years and they are worth the price. You really should do your own brakes (easy enough) and remember to heat cycle them (boring, but very important). I'm sure EBC yellowstuff are worthy pads but i have no personal experience with ebc products.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
My thoughts...for nearly $1400 PLUS pads...HOLY HEMORRHOIDS BATMAN!!!

I've had standard nothing special Bendix rotors on the front of my Ex for about 4 years now BUT I put on Hawk LTS pads...all told pads and rotors (I did the labor)...I've got $155 in the front axle.

I'll be doing the rear pads this spring...I'm not going crazy with rear pads...probably Auto Zone LT Golds or equivalent...

$1400 seems nuts to me...sorry...but I'm cheap...!!!

Even though I don't drive a ton of miles...I've been very happy with the Bendix rotors and Hawk LTS combo...and for $155...I'm even happier!

Joe.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM
LOP223
Senior User
I have the Yellow stuff pads on stock rotors and love them. Dont know if the pads I had were stock or ?, but I imediately noticed a huge improvement. Cost me about $140 total. If you want to do them yourself, take the rotors to a machine shop to have them turned, most Napa or similar stores can also do it.
Had to do my dad's out of state, Napa charged about $40 per axle.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you people that like your brakes after installing Hawk LTS pads should switch up to the Hawk SuperDuty pads next go-round and then you'll REALLY like your brakes!

(This is an eight thousand pound Goliath even without towing something.)