Sponsored by: Moser

2011-2012 MY Tranny changes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011-2012 MY Tranny changes?

Has Ford done anything to address the poor shifting of the 2011 transmission for Model Year 2012?

I thought they said that there were issues that could only be adressed with changes in the tranny and it was going to happen in the 2012'S?
ANYONE?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
Has Ford done anything to address the poor shifting of the 2011 transmission for Model Year 2012?

I thought they said that there were issues that could only be adressed with changes in the tranny and it was going to happen in the 2012'S?
ANYONE?
What poor shifting are you talking about? There are no reported changes in the model years that I know of. My truck shifts fantastic up and down the gears at all speeds.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
there were some changes in MY2011 to fix the poor shifting in MY2009-10 ... is that what you were thinking, perhaps?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
What poor shifting are you talking about? There are no reported changes in the model years that I know of. My truck shifts fantastic up and down the gears at all speeds.
Are you stalking me or what? You act like a Ford truck salesman who hasn't a clue what is going on with this truck. Go look at the TSB's on the tranny and the many posts on all the Ford sites about poor shifting.

You are too funny. Anyone else with any credible info?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by meborder
there were some changes in MY2011 to fix the poor shifting in MY2009-10 ... is that what you were thinking, perhaps?
I was aware of that but I thought there were some changes coming for MY 2012 to adress the poor shifting in the 2011 tranny?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Are you stalking me or what? You act like a Ford truck salesman who hasn't a clue what is going on with this truck. Go look at the TSB's on the tranny and the many posts on all the Ford sites about poor shifting.

This is the second or third time you've asked this very same question here and you're getting the same results. If you know so much about this transmission then why are you continuing to ask the same question?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this FTE or F150online? Thats not "the golden rule" we practice here. Personally my '10 shifts fine, I have not experienced any of the erratic shifting a few have mentioned occurs with their trucks.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 PM
backdr10
Freshman User
Excalibur t seek ins pulled the same thing with me regarding my defective 2010 expedition. Ignore him he enjoys the troublemaking and is of no help at all!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by backdr10
Excalibur t seek ins pulled the same thing with me regarding my defective 2010 expedition. Ignore him he enjoys the troublemaking and is of no help at all!
Sir, that's quite rude. Here's the post that I made on your behalf. I was in your corner and you made a post thanking the above posts, mine included.

I didn't deserve your insinuation as the post was made with good intentions and no malicious intent.

Clearly you're unhappy with Ford as you apparently had a tough time with your Expy. I trust you were able to settle your issues.

OK so let me get this straight.

The OP bought a brand new 2010 Expy 4x4 with 20" wheels. The truck vibrates like crazy no matter what has been done.

The selling dealer mounts 4 brand new tires on the truck and the vibration persists. The OP is out $400 and still has a vibration.

Very simple. Take to the truck to an independent tire store, NOT FIRESTONE for heavens sakes.

Pay the money and have all four tires re-balanced and have the alignment checked as well. Your attorney needs you to build a case and unfortunately you have to spend a few bucks to do that.

While the tires are off the truck getting balanced, have the shop check the wheels to see if there are any imperfections such as out of round, thrown weights, etc.

Apparently your dealer is a piece of s@@t and he's flagged your file and convinced Ford that he's done his job. Once you have built your case, seek your attorney out and go to the next step.

Don't give up the fight, these trucks are too damned expensive to bend over and take it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I was aware of that but I thought there were some changes coming for MY 2012 to adress the poor shifting in the 2011 tranny?
there are probably those who know much more than I about it, but for MY11 they added one way clutches to the clutch packs to address some of the shifting issues that had been noted on MY09-10. mostly on the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts.

Not all 09-10's had problems, my work truck behaves pretty well, but for those that had problems, there were TSB's that allowed the dealers to reflash the PCM to help with the shift feel. Most say it helped, some say it didn't

ford's fix for the "real" problem came for MY11 with the addition of the one way clutches. To my knowledge there weren't any updates for MY12, as the MY11 updates seemed to fix the issue. That is not to say there weren't updates, just to say that i havn't heard of anything.

the transmission updates and the select shift is enough reason to pick an 11 or a 10 ... the new engines are just gravy.

/// and completely off topic ///

i don't know what ya'all's beef is the Tim, but he is probably one of the most helpfull, and quite likely the nicest guy on the forum ... he wouldn't be a moderator if he was guilty of the misbehavior to which ya'all accused him.

not that he needs my help in anyway, his actions an attitued speek for him and in this case he handled himself with far more grace than I would have, so props to him for that .... might just rep him for it too.

if ya'all got a problem with someone, send 'em a PM.

/// rant over ////

Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator

ANYONE?
I found this link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...lCfYzzlo_Yyr4w

Perhaps you've seen it. Anyway, it seems that the majority of the responses are for 2009-2010 trucks with some 2011 trucks in there too. Additionally it seems that most are complaining about a 1-2 shift and a 2-1 shift.

As I said, I haven't had any issues and I don't know anyone personally who has had any issues. The only issues that I know of are what I've read on line.

I'm not convinced that a hard 1-2 or 2-1 shift is indicative of a transmission problem or imminent failure. I think it's most likely uncomfortable for the driver and nauseating considering the cost of these trucks.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User

Add me to the non-credible list....my 2012 Ecoboost F150 shifts great...I'm not a stalker just so I guess that would mean I must be a salesman????

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
As I went to bed last night I couldn't get this thread off my mind. Then it occurred to me that there were only 45 responses in the link that I provided. This link has been available since 2009. So now I have to wonder just how many issues there really were as opposed the volume of trucks sold.

Another thing that I would like to point out is that when a post is made complaining of an issue, any issue, it could be something real simple that ultimately gets all blown up.

For instance, my six speed feels very different from the four speed in my '04 Expy. On occasion when at a stop light before it gets warmed up, it feels like it want's to surge forward even though it doesn't.

To me, that's not a noteworthy problem but rather the nature of the beast. To another person, the transmission is getting ready to fail.

I personally take all posts that illustrate a person's complaint with a grain of salt until the person provides a TSB, shows us that the problem is chronic or offers a written account of a dealership experience where a repair has been made or service refused by Ford or the dealer.

As for transmission woes on the MY 2011-2012 trucks, I'm not convinced that there are problems to warrant a concern.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder

i don't know what ya'all's beef is the Tim, but he is probably one of the most helpfull, and quite likely the nicest guy on the forum ... he wouldn't be a moderator if he was guilty of the misbehavior to which ya'all accused him.

not that he needs my help in anyway, his actions an attitued speek for him and in this case he handled himself with far more grace than I would have, so props to him for that .... might just rep him for it too.

if ya'all got a problem with someone, send 'em a PM.

/// rant over ////
Totally agree. Tim is very helpful and one of the nicest guys you will meet on this or any forum. I would rep ya both but I'm in rep jail. Don't lose any sleep over this Tim, I got yer back!