1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leaking past / through intercooler boots?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM
gabeyd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leaking past / through intercooler boots?

I've got a small oil leak. A few drops, quarter size wet mark every time I park at home (driveway heading up). I've cleaned up the engine compartment, and it seems to me, that all the oil is coming from the inter cooler boots. Every time I clean up, and then check a couple of days later, the bottom of the boots are covered in oil, and my fingers come away coated.

Is this a normal amount of oil from a non-CCV modded truck? Enough that it drips a few drops every time I park?

Do I just need to replace the boots? I'm 99% sure that's where all the oil is coming from. No holes or tears though, so it must just be weeping through, or somehow getting past the very tightened down clamps.

All this started when I did the IH up pipes, and had the turbo and all the intake tubes out...

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM
tennesseecoalroller0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you replace all the seals on the turbo and pedistal when you reinstalled it?? if not i would check there i dont think there would be enough oil pasing through the boots to saturate the valley enough to where it would come out the drail hole in the valley and drip on the driveway

Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
gabeyd
Senior User
Originally Posted by tennesseecoalroller0
did you replace all the seals on the turbo and pedistal when you reinstalled it?? if not i would check there i dont think there would be enough oil pasing through the boots to saturate the valley enough to where it would come out the drail hole in the valley and drip on the driveway
Yes, used a turbo re-install kit, so all seals were replaced. If I let the truck idle for 15 minutes in the morning, it doesn't drip once. And that has included a couple of days where the EBPV has closed. Any way to check the turbo? Use a mirror?

Also, I've check the oil after 3000 miles past the change, and it's only down 1-2 qt, which is typical for 3000 miles. So its not loosing a notable amount. I've thought of wrapping a rag around the boots and seeing if it gets saturated. Any danger in that - rag getting too hot in the engine compartment? Anyone done that before?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM
tennesseecoalroller0
Senior User
is the valley down under the spider covered in oil if so take u some shop towels and dry it all up then see if u still get the drip it may just be oil still in there from removing the turbo and i wasnt clear earlier did u remove the pedistal too or just the turbo ? could be those o rings or could be leaking around the rod on the ebpv shine a flashlight back in there and watch it when you get the valley all dry you may be able to spot your leak that waqy good luck

Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 PM
NCPirate
Freshman User
I am having this same issue. I have oil blow-by enough for it to leak at the intercooler boot.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
search the CCV mod to get rid if this.....it will vent the blowby to the outside...

Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyd61
search the CCV mod to get rid if this.....it will vent the blowby to the outside...
^^^ also i'd remove the intercooler and clean/flush it too.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
gabeyd
Senior User
Originally Posted by joeyd61
Yes, I'm aware of the CCV mod, even though I haven't done it. Not crazy about doing it, especially since we smog in CA now, and that would be a violation - or else I have to undo it every smog check.

But, for the last 150,000 miles, I have not had oil leak into the valley, and drip on the driveway. I guess I was looking for some to say that replacing the boots fixed it for them, so I know it's worth doing.

It really is just 2-3 drips each time I park, not much. But annoying.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 PM
tennesseecoalroller0
Senior User
you could try putting boots on it but i still say there shouldnt be enough coming from the old boots to make a drip in the drive way

Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 PM
Carlosfj80
Senior User
Originally Posted by tennesseecoalroller0
you could try putting boots on it but i still say there shouldnt be enough coming from the old boots to make a drip in the drive way
I have been having the same problem for about a month, I’ve had the truck for about 3 years and have never had this issue until now. Like the OP said quarter size drops, cac at intercooler is pretty moist. I have been searching the forum and can’t find any other answers. I’m hoping reviving this old thread will help.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:08 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
How moist is moist? A pic maybe?

Generally I'll guess it's not the boots but instead one of the common oil leaks on top; pedestal leak, hpop, or a fuel leak from the clamp on the passenger side fuel line.

Clean out the valley and use paper towels stuffed under the pedestal and hpop to isolate the source.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Carlosfj80
Senior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
How moist is moist? A pic maybe?

Generally I'll guess it's not the boots but instead one of the common oil leaks on top; pedestal leak, hpop, or a fuel leak from the clamp on the passenger side fuel line.

Clean out the valley and use paper towels stuffed under the pedestal and hpop to isolate the source.
There’s nothing in The Valley. It seems to start at the cac connecting to the intercooler. I’ll add some pics from below and up top.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
In the first picture... Is that a piece of semi-rigid drain tube being used to seal the system or just a protective cover?

Old 07-13-2019, 08:17 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
In the first picture... Is that a piece of semi-rigid drain tube being used to seal the system or just a protective cover?
Was gunna ask the same thing...lol

Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 PM
Carlosfj80
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Was gunna ask the same thing...lol
Thats the stock cac tube going to the intercooler on the 6.0’s.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking past / through intercooler boots?