6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How long do you let it warm up before you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
thejean
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
They are videos, click on them
Even cooler! Never really watched ice cold oil flow. Once it finds it's way into the nooks and crannies, it would probably protect quite well. My guess is the countdown ensures all the critical items are wetted before any major loads are applied. In which case I kinda find myself siding with Tom that high idling after the countdown doesn't add much value provided thermal - aside from warming the cab before getting in of course. And possibly making sure all parts have expanded fully, which may or may not have an impact but likely we will never know.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
OK ruschejj, I feel kinda bad for ya cuz you don't have a freezer down there in SC...... .....so here ya go!

Sad part is that I am supposed to be only about 500 miles from your SC location at this very moment. I (and wife) are supposed to be in Palm Springs golfing at PGA West, Watching the Bob Hope Classic and drinking my face off RIGHT NOW. BUT our babysitter (my parents!!) bailed on us. So instead we sit up here and pour frozen oil out of an old horseradish jar. Livin' the dream I guess.... Awwww, who am I kidding, this is just as much fun (and no hangover)

Anyway......it didn't get all that cold last night and it is only going to warm up for the next little bit. So if it gets down to -40 I will do another one.

Rotella T6 syn

First one is at 12C (54F)

Second one is at -27C (-17F). I left it out all night.
It is definately thicker but still pours pretty good (I think).

And a little free advertising for H&S because they really made this truck "perfect" for me
Okay Darren, can you help us out with another comparison video? How 'bout a shot of frozen and room-temp Rotella 15w40?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
thejean
Elder User
Any theories out there on why the truck shakes so bloody bad when cold? It seemed extreme compared to gas engines.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Okay Darren, can you help us out with another comparison video? How 'bout a shot of frozen and room-temp Rotella 15w40?
At your service buddy.

Problem is that it is a terrible winter. It is already warming up and going to be above freezing by Monday. It was only -15C last night. (and we have no snow which sucks, everything is ice).

(I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so if you are not kidding and really want me to do this just let me know and I will.)

OH ya, just for fun, this last cold spell I never pulgged my truck in 2 nights (1 by accident and 1 on purpose). -27C and -31C and it started like a champ both times. Good to know, there is the odd time I have to overnight somewhere I can't plug in......If I know it will start at -30C I don't need to let it run all night.

The shaking, I am not too sure? Heavier engine bouncing around (as compared to a gasser)??

Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 07:05 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by On Holiday
You can do this in SC by putting the oil in your freezer.
Really? You must think I'm a moron...... Do you have a freezer that will run down to -15F? I certainly do not and I don't know anyone who does. I also do not have access to liquid oxygen or nitrogen.

There is a big difference in viscosity between 20F and -10F.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by ruschejj
Really? You must think I'm a moron...... Do you have a freezer that will run down to -15F? I certainly do not and I don't know anyone who does. I also do not have access to liquid oxygen or nitrogen.

There is a big difference in viscosity between 20F and -10F.
Your welcome BTW....

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you Darren. Very interesting. I think it's funny that you guys assume I have a deep freezer that will achieve -15F! Imagine trying to stir 10 quarts of that sludge at 100rpm by hand.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Thank you Darren. Very interesting. I think it's funny that you guys assume I have a deep freezer that will achieve -15F! Imagine trying to stir 10 quarts of that sludge at 100rpm by hand.
No problem. And I was just kiddin, if I though your freezer went to -15F I would have let you do it yourself. It was interesting for me as well. I am pretty happy with the way the T6 poured at -17F but I should have put some reqular oil out there to have a comparison. If it gets cold again I will do to see how the syn compares to the regular.

But ya, you can see why it is harder to crank over for sure.

Have a good weekend

Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Heck, when it's that cold it high idles to 1,100 RPM as soon as the engine turns over.
I imagine that oil isn't moving very fast for 30 seconds or so.
Good enough reason for the truck to make you wait.

Thanks for the experiment, Darren.
I don't have a freezer that cold, either.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thejean
Any theories out there on why the truck shakes so bloody bad when cold? It seemed extreme compared to gas engines.
compression ignition creates heat to fire. when its cold its not firing on all 8. Higher comp makes the dead clyinder shake the motor

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I happened to be up North on Monday and Tuesday and had to let my truck sit outside. Morning temps were -17° F. I could hear the fellow next door struggling to get his 7.3L truck started. He finally wore his batteries out and came over for a jump. I hit the remote start, and said I would be out in a minute when I got warm clothes on.

Unfortunately, I bought my truck in Utah, and Ford has deemed we are in the warmer states and have no need for block heaters, So my truck doesn't have one. So nothing to plug in. I hit the remote start, couple seconds later the truck cranked and started immediately. It jumped right up to the 1100 rpm idle. I assume the remote starts waits long enough for the glow plugs to warm up. I'm pleased to see it start in very cold conditions after an all night cold soak.

As stated by others, I don't see much use for the High Idle mod that some folks have been building. The truck seems to sense the temps and jump right to the higher idle on cold days. Even after driving 40 miles, I pulled into a Walmart parking lot and put the tranny in park and noticed my engine stayed at the high idle of 1100 rpms. Between the -17° temps and the open radiator, My coolant had never gotten up to normal temps ( 190°) even after 40 miles of driving, ( it was still reading 170°)

My change oil reminder came on. I stopped by the local Ford dealer, They wanted $90 for an oil change with Dino oil, but couldn't get me in for a couple of days. I didn't have time to wait around, So I stopped by several quick change places. None had the filter in stock and most wanted $180 for a synthetic oil change. And insisted it would take 14 qts of oil. I wasn't about to let somebody who told me I needed 14 qts in my truck touch it.

So I bought WIX filter at NAPA for $30 and bought my Rotella Syn oil at walmart and paid the Walmart guy to change it out. At home I would have done it myself. But at -17°F I wasn't going to roll in the snow under my truck in a parking lot to change my own oil. (Memo to self, order several Motorcraft filter online and keep one in the truck when towing across multiple states.)

Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM
thejean
Elder User
The high idle mod is simply to allow the truck to idle longer without wet stacking so you can heat up the cab before getting in. And to get a bit closer to op temp for those of us who do frequent short trips. If I did a longer commute and didn't have kids to consider, I'd not really be so fussed.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
thejean
Elder User
And it goes without saying that the high idle mod is originally designed for PTO use but we have adapted it for comfort purposes.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Anyway......it didn't get all that cold last night and it is only going to warm up for the next little bit. So if it gets down to -40 I will do another one.

Rotella T6 syn

Second one is at -27C (-17F). I left it out all night.
It is definately thicker but still pours pretty good (I think).

WOW...that is a GREAT comparison! I'm very impressed that the Rotella T6 syn flowed as well as it did. Of course...it being a 5w40...makes a lot of difference.

This video should be watched by those folks that believe the 5w40 is to "thin" an oil to run. This might change that opinion...some.

biz

Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I imagine 15w-40 will behave much differently.
That's what I run year-round but if AL sees -17 F, we're in trouble in more ways than being scared to start my diesel!