1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Remember the toe board patch panels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Remember the toe board patch panels?

Well I FINALLY got brave enough (and off my lazy butt) to replace the floor pans in my project truck. I've just about got the passenger side done. Still have a lot of welding to go. These pics will show those toe board patches that Classic Haulers had fabbed up several several months ago. I ended up cutting pretty much the entire original toe board out on this side (I left a lip for welding). Thought you guys might want to see how it's working out. The driver's side will be another story because the original toe board has a reinforcement piece behind the pedal area, and it's a LOT more complicated with the various holes for the pedals, dimmer switch, etc. But I only need the lower 1 or 2 inches on that side (I might just use sheet metal instead). So here's my work so far. Don't laugh at my rookie welds. All I have is a second-hand flux core wire feed Lincoln (note the vice grips holding the ground clamp in place after the spring broke--quality first, LOL). I used self-tapping sheet metal screws to set up the welds. So far so good, but I am NOT even halfway done, so don't freak out when you see the areas I've missed or haven't cleaned up. Both the toe board and the floor pan have a nice flange that meets at the bottom like the originals. It helps a TON. I was able to get some pretty decent plug welds in there. I worked my butt off getting that toe board to match the floor pan perfectly in the transmission cover area. THEN, I glanced over at the driver's side and realized the factory boys missed it by seemingly 3/8" 62 years ago. LOL

I cut the corner out of it so that the original speedo cable hole remains open.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
RRHD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor Replacement

Hey Doc, nice work on the floor panels. I am going to get up the nerve to do the same on my 51 f1, any tips you may have would help. I have to replace the front mount set as well as the cab corners, does anyone have tips for me before I start?

RRHD
RBR1951@gmail.com

Thanks

Ron

Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice Job Doc! I have used sheetmetal screws to hold stuff together too, before welding. Works for me! Looks good!
Make sure the front cab mount holes stay where they are supposed to. when I welded patches in my floor, they wanted to pull in from heat. even welding a little at a time. Just a thought.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RRHD
Hey Doc, nice work on the floor panels. I am going to get up the nerve to do the same on my 51 f1, any tips you may have would help. I have to replace the front mount set as well as the cab corners, does anyone have tips for me before I start?

RRHD
RBR1951@gmail.com

Thanks

Ron
Thanks for the compliment. I am an amateur. I know that I am personally very happy that I don't have to tackle the whole cab mount. I did have to tweak it a llittle. It has a LOT of very complicated welds holding it in.

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Nice Job Doc! I have used sheetmetal screws to hold stuff together too, before welding. Works for me! Looks good!
Make sure the front cab mount holes stay where they are supposed to. when I welded patches in my floor, they wanted to pull in from heat. even welding a little at a time. Just a thought.
Jeff, I used the sheet metals screws as anchors and to drill the holes for the plug welds. I removed them one by one as I welded it up.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow that's how I did it...you got a hidden camera somewhere in my garage? Seriously that's what I did on the '78 Bronco I (sort of) restored. and it was new floor pans also. Cool! I took out one and welded..skipped one, took out the next and welded...and repeat...works just fine!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Doc, looks really good

Keep posting pictures as you go.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Nice welds!...

-

...lookin' good DOC.......nice job...

Mind if I ask what welder you are using?.......just curious...

Again...great work for such a complicated area......

-

Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the compliments. I'm using a cheap Lincoln flux core welder that I bought used 2 or 3 years ago. I forget exactly which one, but I can look tonight if anybody is interested. I'm a rookie with this type of welder. All I ever used before this was a stick welder on my farm equipment, lawnmowers, etc.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Doc,

I also have one of those Lincoln welders. I ended up upgrading it with the CO2/Argon gas setup and scrapped the flux core. It is a lot cleaner...I'm not planning to ever use the flux core again.

By the way...that looks really nice!

Dan

Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Nice job Doc. When I weld, I often create more holes than I fill. Guess I need more practice!

Toe boards are lookin' sweet. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Doc, IMO, your work looks good. If you really get into putting in these patch panels spend a couple three hundred dollars and upgrade to the gas attachment.......All the difference in the world. It took me a few 'burn throughs' till I made the upgrade.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I will. I've had 2 or 3 burn throughs, but not like I expected. It helps that the floor pans are a thicker gauge metal than things like the fenders, etc. Honestly, I have the driver's side floor pan and probably a two inch strip at the junction of the driver's side floor pan and toe board and I'm done. I could possibly never use that welder again after that.

I have several front and rear fenders in various states of rust/disrepair that I obtained in various parts purchases and horse trades. IF I get brave enough to attempt repairs on them, I will definitely upgrade to gas. But right now I'm leaning toward fiberglass.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
age62newbie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Doc
Don't laugh at my rookie welds.
Please point out the suspect welds so I can critique them .

Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
The toe boards look great Doc! My welding experience is about like your's.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't weld enough any more to keep in practice . But i use pop rivets to hold things in place then skip around and weld all of it. If it's an area thats going to be finished and painted,i grind out and weld in the rivet spots. But in the floor like that ,i weld all of it and just leave the rivets in place. Then i seal and paint both sides just to keep the rust out a little longer. I use a small Lincoln welder with argon gas,never took me long to get rid of the flux core that came with it.__ P.S.__Those welds look okay to me.

Quick Reply: Remember the toe board patch panels?