6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant on EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
oldbrand
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant on EGR Valve

We have a total of 6 trucks with 6.0L engines, and a great mechanic but with more experience in bigger Cat, Komatsu, and Cummins engines. One of our '03 F350s suffered an EGR cooler failure that led to both heads cracking due to overheating. The EGR cooler and heads have both been replaced, along with all the injectors, as over half of them were bad too. The EGR valve was thoroughly cleaned, and the extensive goop in the intake manifold was also cleaned out with Clean Green and a power washer. He knew there may well be additional problems due to the catastrophic failure that would not be found until it was run again. After getting it all back together, he ran it for a few minutes. It ran smoothly but the exhaust had a lot of white smoke in it, though it didn't particularly smell of burnt coolant. After running it that long, he pulled the EGR valve and found coolant on it. He has since pressure tested the heads (in place) and the EGR cooler (on the bench) and found no leaks. Where else could it be coming from? Is the intake manifold the likely culprit?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
where else? why my dear sir, did he check the oil cooler and hpop? chances are, it's a busted oil cooler. ford procedures recommend tat when egr cooler is changed, oil cooler should be changed as well, or vice versa.

try looking at tat as well as the dummy plugs / standplugs. ford has an updated part.

all the best, pal! i'm sure the other guys will chime in later.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
oldbrand
New User
Oil cooler

Thank you, I have had a hard time convincing him he needs to look at the oil cooler, because on most engines the cooler has no way to put coolant into the combustion/exhaust system, but from my reading that is not true with this engine. It can do so without doing it through the EGR cooler. Am I correct?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, that's incorrect. A failed oil cooler by itself cannot cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber on this engine.

Though it is true that the oil cooler should be changed when an EGR cooler fails. Often what happens is clogged coolant passages in the oil cooler restrict flow downstream to the EGR cooler, which causes the failure due to flash boiling of the coolant.

Could be what's being seen coming out of the pipe is residual that will burn off.

Last edited by SteveBricks; 01-17-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
there are several things u can do if u dnt wanna have any problems,
1. get coolant filters for all of ur trucks
2. get scangauge2's and montiro ECT and EOT
3. flush gold crappy coolant out and fill with cat ec-1 rated elc
4. do an egr delete and new oil cooler(if cooler is needed)
5. keep ECT and EOT delta under 10*
6. install the blue spring update(will save any injectors from going bad again.
7. also make sure u use OEM filters only.

did u say that u have 6 6.0's? bulletproof 'em if u hav the money to do it.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrand
One of our '03 F350s suffered an EGR cooler failure that led to both heads cracking due to overheating. The EGR cooler and heads have both been replaced, along with all the injectors, as over half of them were bad too. he ran it for a few minutes. It ran smoothly but the exhaust had a lot of white smoke in it....... After running it that long, he pulled the EGR valve and found coolant on it.
when the egr cooler fails it leaks coolant into the exhaust, and it is located right above the passenger side up pipe, so coolant leaks down the up pipe and can hydrolock the motor, since all this has been repaired and it is running, i would let it run for 20 mins with giving it some pedal to help it get flushed out, it can take a good time for it to all come out if it doesnt come out after a good 20 mins and driving or if it gives any indication that something is wrong then i would go from there. the coolant on the egr is from the coolant that leaked down the up pipe and got near cylinder number 7, it will come out but some will go through the turbo and some gets routed to the egr cooler and then onto the egr valve

so i think you are ok

Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_r_dog
there are several things u can do if u dnt wanna have any problems,
1. get coolant filters for all of ur trucks
2. get scangauge2's and montiro ECT and EOT
3. flush gold crappy coolant out and fill with cat ec-1 rated elc
4. do an egr delete and new oil cooler(if cooler is needed)
5. keep ECT and EOT delta under 10*
6. install the blue spring update(will save any injectors from going bad again.
7. also make sure u use OEM filters only.

did u say that u have 6 6.0's? bulletproof 'em if u hav the money to do it.
3. Is still debateable. Many running the gold have had zero problems.
4. EGR delete is deleting the messenger for a plugged oil cooler and if you live where smog emissions and equipment are checked you can be in deep doodoo.
5. Max delta for ect/eot is 15 degrees per Ford. Many people have reported running 12 to 13 degrees for years with no pproblems.
6. Fresh oil and correct filters also play a big part in an injectors life.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
No, that's incorrect. A failed oil cooler by itself cannot cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber on this engine.

Though it is true that the oil cooler should be changed when an EGR cooler fails. Often what happens is clogged coolant passages in the oil cooler restrict flow downstream to the EGR cooler, which causes the failure due to flash boiling of the coolant.

Could be what's being seen coming out of the pipe is residual that will burn off.
I agree with this statment^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would get that Oil cooler changed ASAP because it more than likely cause the egr cooler to Burn up and blow out

And it will burn the egr cooler up again if you dont get that oil cooler changed

The Oil Cooler & EGR Cooler are plumbed in a series starting with the oil cooler then the coolant goes to the EGR Cooler ONLY IF the OIL cooler isnt plugged

Get that Oil cooler changed ASAP and you should be fine Since 03 round coolers are the Good Ones Beleive it or not
So with that said I bet your OIL Cooler is Plugged Solid