Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What guages do you guys like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 AM
erichy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What guages do you guys like?

I know this is a very frequently asked question but I'm about to pull the trigger on some Isspros and I see a few different types. I don't have my heart set on Isspros but I've heard good things. Do some require less wiring like the EV2? I don't really understand what the amplifier etc. is. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks Eric.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

I had Ev1s with the amplifier boxes. The trans temp started reading erratically a year or so after install. Recently switched to EV2s (kept the mechanical EV1 boost). Noted that the EV2 EGT gauge reads different values than the EV1, EV2 is more in line with the EGTs I would expect to see. Anyway, I was told during the upgrade that the amplifier boxes are known to be generally unreliable.

EV2 is way cleaner to wire up than EV1 and probably more reliable output-wise. Performax is nice because only three wire get run into the cab and the gauges can be moved around without changing wire.

Isspro and autometer are made in the USA.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the ISSPRO EV2/Performax gauges. They are easy to read day or night and easy on the eyes. The original EV (Enhanced Visibility) gauges might have an amplifier box (depending on the gauge) and those were tougher to wire and a little bit problematic. The EV2 or Performax gauges seem to be a lot more reliable for me so far. Good price and service can be found here.
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Ford Powerstroke Gauges | 7.3L Powerstroke Gauges | Diesel Gauges & Accessories - Gauges & Mounts

Autometer is my second choice. I have a set of Phantoms on my wife's truck and they look great during the day. At night they are practically worthless because they do not illuminate very well at all.

My F450 truck has a mix-mash of gauges and I really struggle to read those things, especially at night. I actually have to turn on the dome light to read a couple of the gauges because they illuminate so poorly. The worst ones are Art Carr (trans temp), Easy Street (air tank pressure) and US Gear (boost). I think I am going to have no choice but to scrap the entire lot and go with the ISSPRO Performax line soon.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ISSPRO Performax gauges .. I have 11 of them

Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love my ISSPro Pyro... only one for now. Hope to have quite a few as funds come in. I like the looks better than the AutoMeters, but that's just me.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TNT in Round Rock
ISSPRO Performax gauges .. I have 11 of them
You wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yessir ..

(note the trans pressure gauge is disconnected until I decide what else will go there)

sorry for the quality on this one, you can see the pillar gauges here :

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

The LED backlights are brighter than the dash lights, but you can get an optional dimmer for them. I'm OK with the brighter backlight in my install because they are not in my face like an overhead or A-pillar install.

I think one of the key benefits for daily use is they closely match the dash with font, color, and overall appearance. As for install, they are crazy easy, everything is included with each gauge, and the connections to the sensors are sealed from the environment.

Get yourself some Scotchlok filled connectors [LINK] for splices and the whole system will have reliable connections. You don't need a special tool to crimp with these, just use pliers and crimp evenly. There is a wide selection of these and I have an inventory of all of them - I have never had one fail with age or the elements. I use them for splices on all my trailers and vehicle wiring - including the boat.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
I have ISSPRO Performax gauges. After the initial install, it takes 5 minutes to install another gauge.

I dont like how delayed they are compared to a mechanical gauge. But I wouldnt want a tube of oil with 3000 psi running into the cab

If I were to do it over, I would get a mechanical boost gauge because thats the one that needs to be quick. I cant even see surging on the performax gauges.

As for the pyro, sharp bits and let the tool do the work. Go straight in, dont use it as a reamer otherwise you wont have full threads. Use a new tap. Dont do it in one shot. do maybe a full turn and back it out a little to break the cut and continue. Theres guys that say use oil, but I didnt. When the oil gets inside the manifold the chips will stick to it. tap it dry and throw a magnet up in the hole and/or vacuum the hole out.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I'm simple. I use Autometer Z Series. I've used Autometer gauges in my cars and truck for nearly 15 years now. Never had any issues with them.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
11.... Sounds like you need some more...

17 in the cab...

EV-2 have a very nice built in warning light as well! Talk to your vendor about getting them activated! (performax do as well...)

Old 01-19-2012, 04:21 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
EV-2 have a very nice built in warning light as well! Talk to your vendor about getting them activated! (performax do as well...)
Mind explaining? I'm pretty sure my EV2 does that, I've just never run it that hot before... or am I missing something?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Mind explaining? I'm pretty sure my EV2 does that, I've just never run it that hot before... or am I missing something?

There is a small LED built into the gauge, it will light up at start up, and when it reaches a set activation point.

They have been building them with the led's for about 7 months now, but they have not been activated. I activate them when I send them out, and in the next few months there will be an end user tool for you to set them yourself.

Most times I set the EGT to 1250*, Tranny temp to 210*, Boost to 40psi and such...

If your vendor cant activate them for you, let me know and you could send it to me.

If you dont see the light on start up, more then likely yours were built before the added LED. (this can also be sent back for an update!!!)

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Mine are what you mentioned... they've got the LED. What is it that has to be done to program it? I know IssPro can, I know you can, and Clay probably can do mine too. Does it take any software/hardware to do it? I'm not to shabby as far as figuring stuff out goes...

Old 01-19-2012, 07:01 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
You have to have the software and hardware to do it... It will be out but I have no idea when...

I believe I have one of 3 beta units out right now.

Quick Reply: What guages do you guys like?