1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Yet Another Snow Tires Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet Another Snow Tires Thread

Over the past few days I've had a few scary experiences. With the ice storms that's went acrossed, I had to drive through the heart of it, driving 10mph on an interstate because you can't see ect ect. The tires I have now are LT rated General Grabber HTS All Season tires. They have 38k miles on them, and they are 50k rated, they are definitely getting due for replacement, though their dry performance is still pretty awesome.

What I'm thinking is if i get snow tires now, then I can probably run them to april here, then go back to the all seasons, then back to the snows for a second winter, then get new all seasons in 2013. I run alot of miles for work (about 12k just work related, not including personal) so good tires are a must.

My question is, are they worth the $$. My fiances ranger has brand new Yokohoma snow tires that came from the previous owners with 240lbs of sand in the back, and her truck drive MULTITUDES better than mine. I can hardly launch from an intersection with less than 5 seconds of ice spin (down in 1st, light light throttle). Hers is very surefooted in the snow. But my thought is..can you really make a 7k lb beast drive any better? (lots of work equipment always in the back). As tall as it sits, it throws alot of weight in corners and stops, is it a pipe dream to stop from 30mph to 0 in under 200ft? (that's what it currently takes on a freshly powdered road, lots of waiting and ABS pulsing). Are snow tires really that wonderful?

I'm considering Michelin X-ICE2 and Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. Both with all services included will probably run between 850-1000$ for a set. Is it worth it, and is it reasonable to expect 2 winters out of them at probably 4k miles per winter season (maybe up to 6k in a winter season.)

Guide me please wise ones. This displaced GA boy is new to the game .

Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 AM
etewald
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Expy two years ago, and it rips through the snow. They are great all seasons too. Got them at discounttire.com for under $600.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by heymrdj
I can hardly launch from an intersection with less than 5 seconds of ice spin (down in 1st, light light throttle).
Try "launching" with the shift lever in "2". It will start up in 2nd gear. It might feel doggy, but it should reduce the tendancy to "break loose".

Old 01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Diverdom
Senior User
SNOW TIRES ARE AWESOME. The American public has been sold a huge pile of bs with "all season tires" really they are three season tires. Its not all about going its also about turning and stopping and you cant do that with worn tires in the snow. I also run Terra Grapplers and they work great also have used all terrain t/as and general at2s all were great in the winter on different trucks and suvs of mine. Check out tirerack for some comparison tests. Good tires are one of my pet peeves so many people dismiss the importance of them due to cost. My biggest worry is someone I love might be coming the other way when they lose it on bad tires. Thats enough of my soapbox speech.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find my Expedition to be one of the best snow rigs I have ever owned. I think you will be amazed by the way a good snow tire, like you listed above, will perform in the snow and ice. I would buy them on some cheap winter wheels so you can change them out quickly and for free in your garage. If you have to drive in the snow and ice a lot, it would be a no brainer for me. Get the snow tires. They are a lot cheaper than wrecking your Expy! PS- just realized you have a 4x2. That is another reason to get snow tires. I have all season tires and it performs extremely well, but then again I have a 4x4.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
nkenney
Junior User
Firestone Winterforce tires are great and cheaper then both kinds you mentioned.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
67and71_Carl
Senior User
I agree that the proper tire is a must. The Continental Contrac-SUV's are junk. I went off the road last winter with them. They should be taken off the market. I put on Kelly Trail Mark Max's, and my Expedition will go through anything. Even down the "Route 104 Corridor" under Lake Ontario that I drive daily. I also like Firestone WinterForce tires. I just put them on my Lincoln.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Diverdom
Senior User
I also like the winterforce tires. have them on my wifes WRX.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 AM
bluekahuna
New User
I have been running the Firestone Winterforce on my '98 4x4 here in the mountains of central PA and am happy to report that this thing is indeed the best winter vehicle I have driven. It really takes a lot of snow or a really steep hill to require putting it in 4WD, even with a pair of snowmobiles on the trailer behind me. The tires do not make much noise and the wear has been great. For the money, the best investment you can make, even with a 2WD. In icy conditions, I found that the so-called "studdless" snow tires do not make that much difference; basically, slowing down is the only option as getting going isn't as important as turning or stopping.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it looks like I'll be getting the Michelin X-Ice2's in LT265/70R/17. My local tire barn can mount/balance/nitrogen fill them for 780$. Sounds like a good deal, and they are really well rated for handling as much ice as possible before going to studs.