Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires, general grabbers

Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Insley95
Junior User
Insley95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tires, general grabbers

Well, I'm needing tires for my truck, I've been eyeing the general grabber with the red letters. I'll be running 35/1250/17, wondering if anyone has had any experience with these tires. My truck is all highway and tow rig, but with a lifted truck I want something with an aggressive looking sidewall.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:54 PM
River19
Elder User
River19 has a good reputation on FTE.River19 has a good reputation on FTE.
We run the Grabber AT2s on our Tundra and they have been great since we slapped them on in the fall before hunting season. Great in the dirt and fantastic in the snow.

I can't speak to wear as we only have about 8000 miles on them so far, they still look new and I believe they have a 50K mile warranty or something.........

I considered them for the 250 but went with Duratracs a couple weeks ago.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 PM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
I had General Grabber AT2's, hated them. Terrible in the rain and snow. They look good, but I did not care for them at all.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
I had General Grabber AT2's, hated them. Terrible in the rain and snow. They look good, but I did not care for them at all.
It's funny how two people can have such different experiences with the same tires....I find this type of variance more common with tires than anything else.

On the lighter Tundra I've blazed a trail through 20" of unplowed snow on a powerline road without much trouble with the AT2s, it also depends on the conditions for poeple too. What I do know is the grabbers are snow rated with the whole snowflake symbol thingy for what that is worth.

That being said, I chose the GYs for my 250 for other reasons.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by River19 View Post
It's funny how two people can have such different experiences with the same tires....I find this type of variance more common with tires than anything else.

On the lighter Tundra I've blazed a trail through 20" of unplowed snow on a powerline road without much trouble with the AT2s, it also depends on the conditions for poeple too. What I do know is the grabbers are snow rated with the whole snowflake symbol thingy for what that is worth.

That being said, I chose the GYs for my 250 for other reasons.
I hear ya. I think that a lot of the experience I had, had to do with the increased weight and higher low end torque provided by a mildly modified 7.3, but I will tell you with no uncertainty, the Grabber AT2's were the worst tire I have had on this truck in the 6+ years I have owned it. Firestone Destinations were the next worst, then it's a toss up between the Nitto's I have now and the Yokohamas I had before as the best tire in the rain and snow.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM
acf6
Post Fiend
acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
I had general grabbers on my first truck when i first got it...they had like 10,000 miles on them when one of the sidewalls split randomly. Wont be buying any general tires again...ill stick with cooper or toyo

Old 03-08-2014, 01:10 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Generals are not the tire for you.

They look cool and work well in sand. Mud is eh. They are expensive for their class. My friend gets them at cost so he gets them, otherwise he wouldn't. Even at cost they were about the same as my Hankook MTs which I like more anyway

Old 03-08-2014, 01:17 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation

There are a few reasons for this.

1. If you buy a new car that comes with ABC tire, that is also commercially available, the "factory" tire and the off the self tire are often different. Tread design will be similiar but construction and small tread changes are often ordered by the car manufacturer. This is done for fuel economy rating purposes.

2. Similar situations with regional sales. Chances are an given M+S or all season tire sold in California will have different composition and construction than the same tire sold in Maine, for climate purposes. As am example there are at least 10 recipes for the BFG A/T. Not to mention varriances between sizes. A tire in a large size Class E won't be the same as the same tire in a smaller size in class D

3. California mud is different than Georgia clay... If you get my drift.

4. Of course variations in consumer use, ability and expectations.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Tact
Elder User
Tact is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Whatever tire you choose, here you can save $100 till March 16th.
I'm ordering a set of tire for the wife's Lexus GX470.

Tire tires rebate, Wheels Rims Wheel Rim items in Discount Tire Direct Auctions store on eBay!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Insley95
Junior User
The more I look at the grabber the more I'm afraid it will be loud and cup. The I may go with the toyo open country AT.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
I considered them for the 250 but went with Duratracs a couple weeks ago.
I love my Duratracs but make sure and keep on the schedule for rotating. I snowplow and the tires do great. Wearing faster then I had hoped. Still will buy another set though again. Great performing tire.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
I love my Duratracs but make sure and keep on the schedule for rotating. I snowplow and the tires do great. Wearing faster then I had hoped. Still will buy another set though again. Great performing tire.
Thanks for the heads up.......I'll probably rotate them each year, I only put about 5000 miles on the 7.3 per year, maybe 8000 max.

Insley95 - Can't tell you about the cuppin.....but I can say they aren't that loud.....and frankly with 7.3L of diesel fun 24" in front of you, loud is all relative.......

People thought my Duratracs would be loud, I find them quieter than my old Terra Grapplers....

Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Insley95
Junior User
Well the toyo's were a couple month wait on back order. So I went with pro comp 5183 wheels, 17x9 in black and general grabber red letter 35x1250/17 tires. I'll post up some pics of before and after when they come in.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
ravens fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have the grabber AT2's on my f150 with an open diff and i can honestly say they are the best tires i have ever seen in the snow. i know many other people who have had the same experience. They still amaze me where i can go in 2x4 and not spin a tire in these PA winters. i have about 14,000 miles on them and they look brand new. they were about the same price as bfg at but i wouldnt hesitate to buy them again.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 PM
DieselCamper01
Post Fiend
DieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud of
I also just recently put the General Grabbers on my truck. They work awesome in the snow. Can't speak for much else so far though. And they are no louder than the Firestone Transforce I had on there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires, general grabbers

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.